Is diet coke good for you?

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Good for you? Not particularly. You don't get much physical benefit out of it other than hydration, but it may be psychologically enjoyable which helps make the diet more pleasant. Bad for you? Probably not in moderation. Causes weight gain? Definitely not, at least not directly. Some people believe it makes them hungry, other people use it as a licence to eat more, and that's how weight gain happens. If you are logging your calories and are consistently within your budget, rest assured it will not cause you to gain weight.
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It's neither good for you or bad for you. It's just a 0 calorie beverage. It won't make you gain weight, as it has no calories.

This.

It was beneficial for me during my weight loss phase because I switched from regular coke to diet, and with the switch I was able to cut out a bunch of calories. I also would drink one when I had a craving for something sweet, which also saved me some calories. I still drink it now several years into maintenance because I enjoy the taste and the caffeine. I'm in excellent health and am at my goal weight-drinking diet soda hasn't had any negative affects on me.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    It has no nutritional benefits but it won't kill you (unless that's all you eat and drink!). Water is better for you but if you're bored with it then have a diet coke for a change.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Good for you? It doesn't really have any nutritional value so I couldn't say it's "good for you"...I'd say it's benign unless your drinking a ton of it then the acids could be an issue. It's zero calorie, so no...it won't make you gain weight.

I drink a couple of diet root beers most every night in lieu of my usual beer because I'm cutting some winter fluff...no problems losing about 1 Lb per week at the moment.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Studies have found that those who drink diet soda consume more calories total than those who consume regular soda. It seems to confuse the body's hunger response. If you have no weight problems it won't hurt you, but why would you drink it if you had no weight problems, since it tastes nasty?

Myself and many others here have lost weight and maintained while drinking diet soda. I drink it because I prefer to save my calories for food.

Do what works for you. Your experience is not typical. Look it up. Or ignore science, no skin off my nose. But there is actual evidence that for most people swapping to diet soda does not lead to weight loss.

Well, it's my experience too. I'd speculate that many people who consume more calories are people like me before I started caring about weightloss, when I'd kid myself that I could have a banana split and a diet coke and somehow the diet coke meant that the banana split wasn't as bad for me. Or because I'd walked for an hour, I could 'reward' myself with a doughnut. It's not that the diet drinks make you fat. It's that they make you feel you have 'permission' to consume calorie-dense foods with fewer consequences.

Totally agree with this, but I'd make it even simpler -- just switching to diet coke does not lead to weight loss, as for most it's not going to be sufficient to keep you from overeating. Who is going to start drinking diet? People who think they should cut calories or who think they will be judged for drinking high cal beverages -- i.e., overweight people, disproportionately. Are these people also controlling calories in other ways? Probably not.

I switched to diet as a teen (wasn't drinking a lot then) and didn't lose weight (didn't need to), but I suspect that when I eventually developed a habit of drinking 3 cans or so a day (which I did for a while since it was free at work), that my food-related weight gain would have been even worse if I'd also been consuming high cal soda. However, for many years while drinking diet I did nothing to control my calories otherwise (at first because I did not need to, and then because I just wasn't). Diet soda had nothing to do with it.

When I decided to control how much I was eating, it was easier for me that I did not have high cal soda to worry about, and since drinks are often not perceived as food or filling eliminating calories from drinks seems to me a sensible first step. If you struggle with hitting calories due to cravings, sure, eliminate artificial sweeteners and see if it helps, but I never did struggle with hitting my calories due to wanting sweet things.

The benefit of diet soda (which I don't personally drink much of, since I prefer coffee or water, although I've recently found a diet ginger beer I enjoy) is that you don't have to cut out things that might be an easy pleasure. Doing that could make the other sacrifices (cutting calories) more difficult in an unnecessary way. This is the same reason I did not cut down on coffee when I started losing weight even though I drank too much of it (it was black so calories were not an issue).
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    It's not going to cause you to gain weight. I love them....you might say I am addicted, although I have cut down considerably drinking them. However, sometimes I just have a craving. I think they intensify my sweet tooth and make me crave sweets, so that is bad.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Will it cause you to gain weight

how on earth can a zero calorie drink cause weight gain???????????

diet coke is not bad or good it is just diet coke...drink it if you enjoy it..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    linsey0689 wrote: »
    It's not good for you. But I think trying to cut out everything is not good. A couple a week IMO is okay

why is it not "good" for you?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    linsey0689 wrote: »
    It's not good for you. But I think trying to cut out everything is not good. A couple a week IMO is okay

why is it not "good" for you?

I think they mean it doesn't add nutritional benefit (vitamins, minerals or macro).