I *always* plateau around the same number.

Options
124»

Replies

• rinigirl76
    rinigirl76 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    oh boy I am scared losing about a pound a day in the last week started in Jan 2017 at 229 and then I fell off at 209..and went to 217 now I am 212 and have lost 5lbs in 7 days!
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    rinigirl76 wrote: »
    oh boy I am scared losing about a pound a day in the last week started in Jan 2017 at 229 and then I fell off at 209..and went to 217 now I am 212 and have lost 5lbs in 7 days!

Sounds good to me though lol keep going and I wish Id lose 5lbs in the next 7 days! haha.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    I count my weight loss journey as having begun on January 1, 2000. At that point I made several changes to my way of eating and rapidly dropped several stone. (I'm not British, but the idea using a big fat rock to describe how much lighter I became is amusing). Yet, that stopped and I remained at or near 270 for over a decade. I was ignorant of the concepts within mfp of CICO and plateaus until I found mfp in January of 2016. I made more adjustments to my way of eating and lost more weight until I got to about 190. Wait! Did I just complain about a 10 year + plateau? Indeed I did. It was a self-inflicted consistency of living and eating as I needed to live and eat to weigh 270. When I made the changes necessary to live and eat as a person who weighed 190, I became such a person. That condition stabilized for a few weeks and I made more changes to become a person who weighs 170. This doesn't seem to be stable and perhaps I'm doing the things necessary to weigh 160. I'll find out with the passage of time.

The point is, if you detect stability at a weight, do make some changes. Eat less (if your goal is to lose weight), exercise cardio more, or grow more muscle.

It was nice of you to share your story, but eat less would be a bad idea as I said one week I even ate under 1000 calories when ill and even when not ill I usually net 1200 and the max is 1500. None of what you said applies. I'm already doing all the right things. Eventually, it will work out and I will start losing again, but there is a certain point at which you should not lower your calories anymore or exercise more without eating more. I'm already there.

So be patient and keep doing what you're doing.
  • yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    cheldadex wrote: »
    There is no set point, there is probably a settling point like a thermostat or cruise control . Google images of anorexics or concentration camp survivors.

I'm not sure how those images matter?

Those images show you where the actual set point is.
    I didn't say I can't lose weight after this point - I said I plateau. There is a huge difference. And some studies show the body is more inclined to not want to lose after a certain weight, different for each individual. Not a fact of course because it's a theory still but I could see it being true. Humans like to believe everything is simple and we know it all. The truth is, there are plenty of things we don't know yet.

The theory says if you are under a certain point, your body will preferentially store fat in a CALORIC SURPLUS.
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I count my weight loss journey as having begun on January 1, 2000. At that point I made several changes to my way of eating and rapidly dropped several stone. (I'm not British, but the idea using a big fat rock to describe how much lighter I became is amusing). Yet, that stopped and I remained at or near 270 for over a decade. I was ignorant of the concepts within mfp of CICO and plateaus until I found mfp in January of 2016. I made more adjustments to my way of eating and lost more weight until I got to about 190. Wait! Did I just complain about a 10 year + plateau? Indeed I did. It was a self-inflicted consistency of living and eating as I needed to live and eat to weigh 270. When I made the changes necessary to live and eat as a person who weighed 190, I became such a person. That condition stabilized for a few weeks and I made more changes to become a person who weighs 170. This doesn't seem to be stable and perhaps I'm doing the things necessary to weigh 160. I'll find out with the passage of time.

The point is, if you detect stability at a weight, do make some changes. Eat less (if your goal is to lose weight), exercise cardio more, or grow more muscle.

It was nice of you to share your story, but eat less would be a bad idea as I said one week I even ate under 1000 calories when ill and even when not ill I usually net 1200 and the max is 1500. None of what you said applies. I'm already doing all the right things. Eventually, it will work out and I will start losing again, but there is a certain point at which you should not lower your calories anymore or exercise more without eating more. I'm already there.

So be patient and keep doing what you're doing.

I will. It's just frustrating isn't it? When you have those few weeks where you don't budge even though you're working hard. I've been at this a few months and lost 45lbs but it's still saddening to not see the numbers go down lol. Thank you though and congrats on all your success :)
  • Verity1111
    Options
    There is no set point, there is probably a settling point like a thermostat or cruise control . Google images of anorexics or concentration camp survivors.

I'm not sure how those images matter?

Those images show you where the actual set point is.
    I didn't say I can't lose weight after this point - I said I plateau. There is a huge difference. And some studies show the body is more inclined to not want to lose after a certain weight, different for each individual. Not a fact of course because it's a theory still but I could see it being true. Humans like to believe everything is simple and we know it all. The truth is, there are plenty of things we don't know yet.

The theory says if you are under a certain point, your body will preferentially store fat in a CALORIC SURPLUS.

Well I'll tell mine not to store anything because I'm not patient. Lol.
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Mine is always 151 (I'm 5'2, btw). This is the second time being here on MFP trying to lose the weight. I got down to 151 last year, stalled out for what seems like FOREVER, and then life happened. Gained back some weight, shot up to 165. Started trying to lose again a few months ago and the first 10lbs dropped off like nothing. Now that I'm getting closer to that number, it is a fight for every lb. I know it's because I'm getting closer to a healthy weight and I'm short, and I have to be super tight with logging since my basal metabolic rate is so low, but my god is it frustrating and every day I want to give up. But I don't and I won't.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Mine is always 151 (I'm 5'2, btw). This is the second time being here on MFP trying to lose the weight. I got down to 151 last year, stalled out for what seems like FOREVER, and then life happened. Gained back some weight, shot up to 165. Started trying to lose again a few months ago and the first 10lbs dropped off like nothing. Now that I'm getting closer to that number, it is a fight for every lb. I know it's because I'm getting closer to a healthy weight and I'm short, and I have to be super tight with logging since my basal metabolic rate is so low, but my god is it frustrating and every day I want to give up. But I don't and I won't.

Sorry it's so difficult. Good for you fighting through it! You can get there. Good luck. :)