Chocolate milk replacement!

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Depends on why you want to replace it, but I'm currently obsessed with unsweetened brewing chocolate (you make it like coffee -- it tastes like chocolate or chocolate with spices, but is largely calorie-free and has no sweetness/sugar). I sometimes drink it hot and sometimes chill it. (My vice is coffee, and replacing coffee with this stuff is helping me cut down on caffeine.)

Would you please provide a link to your brewing chocolate?

Here's one for you for herbal coffee alternatives: http://teeccino.com

Chocolate raspberry is my favorite. Amaretto is quite good as well. I see they have replaced Maya Chocolate with Maya Chai and will have to give that a try. Some flavors are cheaper on Amazon and for those who have a membership with Frontier, the best prices are there. Alas, chocolate raspberry is only available on teeccino.com.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Depends on why you want to replace it, but I'm currently obsessed with unsweetened brewing chocolate (you make it like coffee -- it tastes like chocolate or chocolate with spices, but is largely calorie-free and has no sweetness/sugar). I sometimes drink it hot and sometimes chill it. (My vice is coffee, and replacing coffee with this stuff is helping me cut down on caffeine.)

This is one I have enjoyed:https://choklatude.com/

GottaBurnEm found a different one she liked, so I know there are various sources.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    RDahling wrote: »
    A couple have mentioned making their own - what cocoa powder do you use? And milk? Do you use Coconut milk like Ladipoet, soy, almond, or ... ? And adding cinnamon sounds like a nice little kick to it. :)

I'm from South Africa so we have different brands here. Cocoa is just any cocoa powder and I use normal pasteurised cow milk, full cream (we have that, 2% or fat free as options in our cow milk range). I want to try it with coconut milk though.
    Are you peat-y?

Sorry, I have no idea what that means.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    8oz chocolate milk, a scoop of whey isolate, and 8oz of coffee tastes surprisingly like a mocha. Refrigerate it overnight for the cold version.

You don't say?

riy3w4r3im3c.jpg

:D
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    RDahling wrote: »
    Chocolate milk is really good post training. I make my own with milk, cocoa, cinnamon and honey to avoid all sorts of additives...

A couple have mentioned making their own - what cocoa powder do you use? And milk? Do you use Coconut milk like Ladipoet, soy, almond, or ... ? And adding cinnamon sounds like a nice little kick to it. :)

@RDahling ....you can pretty much use any kind of coconut milk (or nut milk, soy milk, dairy milk, etc.) and any kind of coca powder. I like the El Mexicano brand of coconut milk and I use Hershey's cocoa powder. But I usually make it into "Mexican Hot Chocolate" by adding some ground cinnamon and vanilla flavored liquid stevia and a little bit of xanthan or guar gum to thicken it up a bit. Works well hot or cold and is veeeeeeeeeeery tasty!!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

This is one I have enjoyed:https://choklatude.com/

GottaBurnEm found a different one she liked, so I know there are various sources.

I use something called Crio Bru that I found at Wegmans. I've only used the "Maya" flavor. It's just coarsely ground cacao beans, and I think all the flavors they were selling at the time were all just cacao, with variations in sourcing and roasting, but it looks from the website they make a pumpkin spice and a peppermint flavor as well.

I mostly just add a bit of the cacao beans to my coffee when I'm making cold brew or french press. If I want a nearly sugar-free hot chocolate drink, I generally just use (baking) cocoa powder, cinnamon, ground chilis, maybe almond extract or ground almonds, and a very small amount of sugar and/or splenda with hot milk.