Heavy lifting for beginners

Options
GingerPwr
GingerPwr Posts: 1,979 Member
Hey there!
Okay, I love free weights, so I'm sure I'd like heavy lifting and I've read that it helps burn more calories and so yeah. On board.

But what are your favorite combo moves? Is it better to do more sets with fewer reps? Do you increase weight through the sets? Help! I want advice.

Replies

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    What are you goals?
  • spiveaa
    spiveaa Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your goals are.
    For me I increase the weight if I am able to get in 10-12 reps during my set. If I can not get the 10 rep mark, I stay at that weight until I do.
  • XshakyX
    XshakyX Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Ease into it dot try to go full out at first.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    As a beginner, and with no clear idea of yiur goals, I would start you out doing reps in the 12-15 range and over time bring you down into the 4-6 range. And even then once you are comfortable handling heavy weights, you shouldn't neglect higher rep ranges
  • GingerPwr
    Options
    What are you goals?

I want to lose about 20 pounds and at least 4 inches off my waist. (I know I'll lose everywhere, but I'm focusing on that waist/height ratio number).
  • Melissa_Leanne86
    Melissa_Leanne86 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    czvanut wrote: »
    What are you goals?

I want to lose about 20 pounds and at least 4 inches off my waist. (I know I'll lose everywhere, but I'm focusing on that waist/height ratio number).

In that case, my suggestion would be to start off with higher volume training (someone mentioned 12-15 rep range, which is what I would suggest as well). You may want to try something like supersets as well to keep your heart rate up.

There are different ways of doing this, but I usually do either a body part split-style or a push/pull/lower body style.

For example:
    Chest/Triceps
    Back/Biceps
    Legs/Shoulders

An example of a superset would be:
    1a) Dumbbell Chest Press
    1b) Dumbbell Triceps Kickback

As you get more advanced, another thing to look into would be barbell complexes, but I'd suggest starting those off with a dowel rod to ensure your form is right.

Hope this helps!
  • Melissa_Leanne86
    Melissa_Leanne86 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just want to emphasize that my post above is just ONE of MANY possible suggestions, so take what I suggest with a grain of salt :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What are you goals?

Depending on where you store fat, you may or may not be able to achieve that. Don't get me wrong, cutting body fat will help, but I am sure if that can be achieved with only 20 lbs to lose.

And you are looking for general aesthetic, I'd recommend looking at the list I posted and get on one of the structured programs. You can start with dumbbells and then move up to barbell and continue to work form.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Either book in for a session with a trainer who can set you a personalized plan, or try something like StrongLifts.
    That's a 5x5 methodology, but it's a good introduction to the main compound lifts. The online resources are decent, and the app makes tracking progress easy.

I love lifting. Makes me feel invincible!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    What are you goals?

In that case, my suggestion would be to start off with higher volume training (someone mentioned 12-15 rep range, which is what I would suggest as well). You may want to try something like supersets as well to keep your heart rate up.

There are different ways of doing this, but I usually do either a body part split-style or a push/pull/lower body style.

For example:
    Chest/Triceps
    Back/Biceps
    Legs/Shoulders

1a) Dumbbell Chest Press

As you get more advanced, another thing to look into would be barbell complexes, but I'd suggest starting those off with a dowel rod to ensure your form is right.

Hope this helps!

I dont think an upper/lower split is gong to be good for someone new to lifting..

I would look into a more total body, beginner type program like all pro beginner routine, or strong lifts 5x5...
  • GingerPwr
    Options
    So I did my very first Strong Lift 5x5 workout yesterday. Instead of trying to figure out my max, I just went full beginner and used the bar by itself for the squats and bench press, and then 65lbs for the rows. It feels good to have a definite routine I can look at and know when and how much weight to add. Makes me feel better.

Now, I'm thinking since I still want to lose weight, I can do some low impact cardio in between lift days? I don't like the thought of being sedentary on off days.
  • Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    So I did my very first Strong Lift 5x5 workout yesterday. Instead of trying to figure out my max, I just went full beginner and used the bar by itself for the squats and bench press, and then 65lbs for the rows. It feels good to have a definite routine I can look at and know when and how much weight to add. Makes me feel better.

Now, I'm thinking since I still want to lose weight, I can do some low impact cardio in between lift days? I don't like the thought of being sedentary on off days.

As you are a beginner, what you did to start is perfect. Don't worry yet about your working weight (the weight where you'll start to struggle and hit failure) or max weight. Starting with the bar and following the 5lb (or lower) progression gives you good opportunity to work on your form and stop bad habits before you move up to a heavy enough weight where bad form might lead to injury.

You can definitely do cardio between lift days. Rest days, under the Strong Lifts program, means a rest from lifting rather than a rest from working out. In fact, low impact cardio between lift days can aid recovery.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Many good choices out there.

StrongLifts5x5 is a great beginner program because it is free and simple.
    The Android app is also pretty good, in my experience.

As long as you have enough in the tank you are welcome to do conditioning / cardio - it is often recommended in fact.
    But you need to make sure you are not doing your cardio before lifting or that there is so much cardio in your "off days" that it affects your lifting and recovery.

What may feel like light weight for a few weeks is going to start feeling downright heavy surprisingly soon.
  • tinuz
    tinuz Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Just be sure you got your form right....if you in a gym, you may ask the instructors get that settled...
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    tinuz wrote: »
    Just be sure you got your form right....if you in a gym, you may ask the instructors get that settled...
    Presuming they can demonstrate how they properly "high bar" or "low bar" squat their bodyweight and deadlift two times it for at least 5 reps.

Just because they work there doesn't mean they know anything about proper technique for barbell exercises - even if they look like they are in "good shape".

If they cannot at least demonstrate it at those numbers (or close to it) then do not trust their advice.

A hypothetical 170lb bro-split "trainer" who cannot squat around 170x5 and deadlift at over 300x5 with decent form and at a reasonable tempo probably does not have the technical expertise or experience to be giving you advice on those lifts.
    There might be exceptions, but they would be rare cases like if the "trainer" had ran SS or SL5x5 for about 6 months himself and had figured out a few tips he could pass along.
    In that case he should still be able to move some reasonable poundages. That is my opinion, anyway.

Visit a gym that specializes in Powerlifting or maybe even the Olympic lifts for a while to learn the mechanics from the coaches or competitors there, if that is an option.

Read "Starting Strength, 3rd edition" by Mark Rippetoe as a primer and check out StartingStrength.com

Also, take videos of yourself lifting to spot errors in your form and technique.

I have 70 year old women who have better deadlift technique than the biggest bros at the gym.

And they've never even heard of Rippetoe.

There is little correlation between amount of weight lifted, length of time lifting, and knowledge of/ability to teach lifting form.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options

Your start is perfect. SL advises to start with an empty bar I believe and add from there, focusing on form. Cardio on the off days is fine so long as you have the energy to do so, just don't let it burn you out or tire you out for the lifting days. It's going to be important to get the right amount of protein and to get 7-8 hours of sleep a night for full recovery if you are going to be working out 5-6 days a week.
  • GingerPwr
    Options
    Thanks so much, everyone! So much great advice!!!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    What are you goals?

For example:
    Chest/Triceps
    Back/Biceps
    Legs/Shoulders

1a) Dumbbell Chest Press

Hope this helps!

I dont think an upper/lower split is gong to be good for someone new to lifting..

I would look into a more total body, beginner type program like all pro beginner routine, or strong lifts 5x5...

This.