Beer drinking?

Options
How much? How often? I was prescribed 10 mg of Prozac to help with pms and I've found myself to want to drink and like how it makes me feel... but wake up with anxiety and.l not so good the next day. Don't do it often because it also is sabotaging my weight loss. But just wondered if anyone else still drinks why they're trying to lose weight and is anyone else taking a antidepressant?

Replies

• liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    I drink and just figure it into my calories for the day. As for mixing, not sure.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I drank while losing weight. I just chose to moderate it as I always have. I chose a lighter beer like Moose light or coors or Slemans...or vodka.

As for with an anti depressant nope...I use exercise for that so it's not a factor for me.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    Is there a warning on the drug circular about drinking alcohol with it? I know most antidepressants lose their effectiveness when alcohol is used.

If you are waking with anxiety - that's alcohol withdrawal. Be careful with that.

Can you limit your drinking to one or two a day? That will help.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    I have a beer 4-6 times a week. I log it in and at times it seems to help my weight loss. For the calories a good beer can be satisfying enough that I don't need a higher calorie consumption, on the rare occasion that I have more than one the calories build up and the temptation to eat unhealthy food.
  • MichellePatte92
    MichellePatte92 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am a pretty frequent drinker on the weekends. My boyfriend and I visit breweries quite often and he even brews beer. As long as I have it figured into my calories, or I'm willing to go workout more, it's fine for me. I'm not on any medications, though.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    From the drug label:

Drugs and Foods to Avoid

Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.

Do not use this medicine together with pimozide or thioridazine. Do not use this medicine within 14 days of using an MAO inhibitor, and do not start an MAOI for at least 5 weeks after you stop using fluoxetine.

Some medicines can affect how fluoxetine works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:

Buspirone, carbamazepine, dolasetron, erythromycin, fentanyl, gatifloxacin, lithium, mefloquine, methadone, moxifloxacin, pentamidine, phenytoin, probucol, St John's wort, tacrolimus, tramadol, tryptophan supplement, or vinblastine
    Amphetamines
    Blood thinner (including warfarin)
    Diuretic (water pill)
    Medicine for heart rhythm problem
    Medicine to treat mental illness (including chlorpromazine, droperidol, iloperidone, ziprasidone)
    NSAID pain or arthritis medicine (including aspirin, celecoxib, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen)
    Phenothiazine medicine
    Triptan medicine to treat migraine headache

Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.

Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor and pharmacist and they weren't going to tell me not to drink but to just drink in moderation but in my opinion and I don't want to have just one or two beers a week I feel as if I'm going to drink I'm going to drink to get a good buzz so therefore I drink maybe 1 to 2 times a week and drink 6 to 8 beers. I don't normally have anxiety or depression the medicine was to help with my mood swings before my menstruation every month. I eat very healthy and work out every day I may decide this medication is not right for me and just continue with the exercise and maybe do some sort of yoga or meditation to help with my mood swings or i could be my 5 kiddos, haha!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Well, drinking 6-8 beers is binge drinking. Dangerous stuff, especially with Prozac. If you become overly sedated, you can stop breathing in your sleep...

Here: read this:

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicati...22-1/25-34.pdf

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Is the Prozac specifically for PMS or for an underlying mood disorder? Do you take it during one part of the month or all month? I just figure Prozac is an antidepressant-alcohol is a depressant. Why take a medication with all the inherent risk and then drink alcohol which is known to exacerbate depression/anxiety and mood swings? Never mind side effects, it's probably just best to skip the alcohol if your mood symptoms are severe enough to warrant medication.

For what it's worth, I took Prozac for a long time. It helped with mood stability for a bit, and I found if overall stability is improved, the mood swings of pms are significantly less severe as well.

Edited to say I just saw the response that you don't have an underlying disorder. So I'm really not sure how that factors in. Maybe avoid alcohol during that time of the month?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Well, drinking 6-8 beers is binge drinking. Dangerous stuff, especially with Prozac. If you become overly sedated, you can stop breathing in your sleep...

lol...really?

how is that...if it was in a couple hours maybe but what if it's over a course of a day....
  • christopherwelch95
    christopherwelch95 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You should check with your pharmacist to see if it is ok to mix prozac with alcohol. I'm a bit concerned because I know a lot of anti depressants you shouldn't be drinking with.
    As for diet wise make sure you have enough calories and your nutrients still balanced and you'll be fine.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I can't drink 6-8 beers/week and lose weight. I don't have the calories to do that.

I do take Zoloft and still drink alcohol. I did notice that initially, I got way drunker way faster. So beware that it can change the way alcohol affects you. It's not ideal to take an antidepressant and a depressant at the same time.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

lol...really?

how is that...if it was in a couple hours maybe but what if it's over a course of a day....

The OP did specify that if they are going to drink they are going to do it to get a buzz, so I'm pretty sure they aren't spread out over the course of a day. Not commenting on if that should be considered binge or not, but I think the assumption was the drinks were back to back.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

lol...really?

The OP did specify that if they are going to drink they are going to do it to get a buzz, so I'm pretty sure they aren't spread out over the course of a day. Not commenting on if that should be considered binge or not, but I think the assumption was the drinks were back to back.

no...when spread out over a day you get a buzz...or even an evening it's a buzz but it is in no way binge drinking come on...

• Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I am not a binge drinker at all. Thanks for all your replies!
  • cmriverside
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Drinking Levels Defined

Moderate alcohol consumption:

According to the "Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2015-2020,” U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture, moderate drinking is up to 1 drink per day for women and up to 2 drinks per day for men.

Binge Drinking:

NIAAA defines binge drinking as a pattern of drinking that brings blood alcohol concentration (BAC) levels to 0.08 g/dL. This typically occurs after 4 drinks for women and 5 drinks for men—in about 2 hours.

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), which conducts the annual National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), defines binge drinking as 5 or more alcoholic drinks for males or 4 or more alcoholic drinks for females on the same occasion (i.e., at the same time or within a couple of hours of each other) on at least 1 day in the past month.

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/moderate-binge-drinking
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Drinking Levels Defined

Moderate alcohol consumption:

According to the "Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2015-2020,” U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture, moderate drinking is up to 1 drink per day for women and up to 2 drinks per day for men.

Binge Drinking:

NIAAA defines binge drinking as a pattern of drinking that brings blood alcohol concentration (BAC) levels to 0.08 g/dL. This typically occurs after 4 drinks for women and 5 drinks for men—in about 2 hours.

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), which conducts the annual National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), defines binge drinking as 5 or more alcoholic drinks for males or 4 or more alcoholic drinks for females on the same occasion (i.e., at the same time or within a couple of hours of each other) on at least 1 day in the past month.

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/moderate-binge-drinking

I'm not a big drinker anymore, but that seems a bit strict/narrow to me.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Regardless of whether we choose to do it, binge drinking is binge drinking. If you're drinking to be drunk, it's not moderation.

Yes, I'm an adult that chooses to get drunk now and then. It's not a problem in my life, and I don't intend to change that. It's also not something I can pull off and lose weight, so it's been a while. The calories in the drinks + the calories in the bad food choices then made = a whole lot of calories.

Still, the definitions of moderate drinking and binge drinking doesn't change based on how we feel about them.