Beer drinking?

Options
2»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    Regardless of whether we choose to do it, binge drinking is binge drinking. If you're drinking to be drunk, it's not moderation.

Yes, I'm an adult that chooses to get drunk now and then. It's not a problem in my life, and I don't intend to change that. It's also not something I can pull off and lose weight, so it's been a while. The calories in the drinks + the calories in the bad food choices then made = a whole lot of calories.

Still, the definitions of moderate drinking and binge drinking doesn't change based on how we feel about them.

That's fine but not sure why it was brought up here...the definition says "pattern"...and the OP did not display a pattern...

I jsut find people like to see the worst and this is one of those cases...

PS to me having a drink a night is not moderate...it's excessive

PPS I drink and have always drank even while losing weight...I just don't do it often...you know...moderation...maybe 1 or 2x a month...(hope I am not accused of being a binge drinker too) cause I do it to get a buzz as well.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Regardless of whether we choose to do it, binge drinking is binge drinking. If you're drinking to be drunk, it's not moderation.

Yes, I'm an adult that chooses to get drunk now and then. It's not a problem in my life, and I don't intend to change that. It's also not something I can pull off and lose weight, so it's been a while. The calories in the drinks + the calories in the bad food choices then made = a whole lot of calories.

Still, the definitions of moderate drinking and binge drinking doesn't change based on how we feel about them.

That's fine but not sure why it was brought up here...the definition says "pattern"...and the OP did not display a pattern...

PPS I drink and have always drank even while losing weight...I just don't do it often...you know...moderation...maybe 1 or 2x a month...(hope I am not accused of being a binge drinker too) cause I do it to get a buzz as well.

OP said medical advice from doctor and pharmacist was only to drink alcohol "in moderation." How are the medical definitions of moderate drinking and binge drinking, to distinguish the two, not relevant?
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Well, drinking 6-8 beers is binge drinking. Dangerous stuff, especially with Prozac. If you become overly sedated, you can stop breathing in your sleep...

Here: read this:

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicati...22-1/25-34.pdf

lol...really?

how is that...if it was in a couple hours maybe but what if it's over a course of a day....

The OP did specify that if they are going to drink they are going to do it to get a buzz, so I'm pretty sure they aren't spread out over the course of a day. Not commenting on if that should be considered binge or not, but I think the assumption was the drinks were back to back.

no...when spread out over a day you get a buzz...or even an evening it's a buzz but it is in no way binge drinking come on...

Again... I did not say it was binge drinking. If you reread my comment you'll see I specifically stated I wasn't going to make that call. And drinking six beers over the course of an entire day will not give me a buzz, but everyone is different. That's all I'm saying on the matter.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    6-8 Trappist Rochefort, at 11.3%, would have 1980-2640 calories. I could maybe sneak 1 or 2 into every few days but not 6-8 and still lose weight. Now 6-8 would also make me nicely buzzed even if I spread it out over 4+ hours. I know this is an extreme example but no brand was chosen so I put in one of my favs. I am sure Founders Oatmeal Stout would give me similar results.

I love beer! I used to drink perhaps 3 bottles every few nights. Thing is I could not drink what I felt was worth it and keep my goals. If all you want is a buzz drink shots of tequila. It's around 100cals per shot, and 3 of them would make most people buzzed.

I do agree with others that not a good idea to mix booze and drugs, but thats really between you and your doc.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

OP said medical advice from doctor and pharmacist was only to drink alcohol "in moderation." How are the medical definitions of moderate drinking and binge drinking, to distinguish the two, not relevant?

where did I use the words "not relevant"...I just think that people jump to conclusions.

to be on prozac for bad pms at such a low dosage and drinking to get a buzz somehow became "binge drinking" when in fact it showed no evidence of such...

anyway Im out...

OP drink...as long as you are aware of the complications that might happen have at...but warn others please just in case.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Well, drinking 6-8 beers is binge drinking. Dangerous stuff, especially with Prozac. If you become overly sedated, you can stop breathing in your sleep...

Here: read this:

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicati...22-1/25-34.pdf

lol...really?

how is that...if it was in a couple hours maybe but what if it's over a course of a day....

The OP did specify that if they are going to drink they are going to do it to get a buzz, so I'm pretty sure they aren't spread out over the course of a day. Not commenting on if that should be considered binge or not, but I think the assumption was the drinks were back to back.

no...when spread out over a day you get a buzz...or even an evening it's a buzz but it is in no way binge drinking come on...

Again... I did not say it was binge drinking. If you reread my comment you'll see I specifically stated I wasn't going to make that call. And drinking six beers over the course of an entire day will not give me a buzz, but everyone is different. That's all I'm saying on the matter.

and where did I say you did...? I am just reiterating my stance.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options

where did I use the words "not relevant"...I just think that people jump to conclusions.

to be on prozac for bad pms at such a low dosage and drinking to get a buzz somehow became "binge drinking" when in fact it showed no evidence of such...

anyway Im out...

OP drink...as long as you are aware of the complications that might happen have at...but warn others please just in case.

No, but you said you were "not sure why it [the definition] was brought up here" -- I don't understand what that could mean other than questioning the relevance of the definition.
  • SezxyStef
    edited May 2017
    Options

anyway Im out...

No, but you said you were "not sure why it [the definition] was brought up here" -- I don't understand what that could mean other than questioning the relevance of the definition.

she was accused of binge drinking is why it was brought into the post...no other reason...she didn't ask for the definition of anything....

as for telling me I said it wasn't relevant I didn't so don't assume you know what I am thinking...other than what i put in text...quick and simple I don't talk or type in code...if I say the words that is what I mean...nothing more nothing less.

And as a matter of point the reason the definition was brought was the accusation that OP was binge drinking which she clearly is not based on the definition so that is the only relevance that has on this post...
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Alcohol consumption can interfere with the effectiveness of Prozac. They are both depressants, so you may feel more tired. If you experienced anxiety the day after drinking, it could be that the alcohol cancelled out the benefits of the low dosage of Prozac you are on.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

From one of the OP's posts:

I asked my doctor and pharmacist and they weren't going to tell me not to drink but to just drink in moderation but in my opinion and I don't want to have just one or two beers a week I feel as if I'm going to drink I'm going to drink to get a good buzz so therefore I drink maybe 1 to 2 times a week and drink 6 to 8 beers[/b]

6-8 beers 1-2 times a week sounds like a pattern and she really doesn't care what medical professionals tell her (which IMO is the bad situation).

FWIW, I have been known to have 10+ beers on occasion (binge drinking) like a vacation, long weekend with friends, etc. I sure not doing it on a regular basis with 5 kids around. And I'm a 6'2" 200 pound male.
  • Rchin4thestarz
    Rchin4thestarz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Pssst how about this...Just PURELY a suggestion..... You may feel alot better about yourself if instead of looking for that buzz effect that you wish.... Try moderating or stopping altogether for a month work on your fitness/diet plan and after 30 days ...Check to see the progress made as from speaking from experience...That buzz does have rebound effect and probably thats the reason for the depression...Just something to gnaw on...

Check your sugars sometime in your beer .... You may be just a bit surprised ....
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Pssst how about this...Just PURELY a suggestion..... You may feel alot better about yourself if instead of looking for that buzz effect that you wish.... Try moderating or stopping altogether for a month work on your fitness/diet plan and after 30 days ...Check to see the progress made as from speaking from experience...That buzz does have rebound effect and probably thats the reason for the depression...Just something to gnaw on...

Check your sugars sometime in your beer .... You may be just a bit surprised ....

how is what the OP doing not moderating?
    Why stop period?
    if you are staying in goal and enjoying the occiasional buzz have at...