Who here has a gym membership?

Options
Just curious, who here has a gym membership? What gym is it to? How do you like your gym? I have a membership to Anytime Fitness, from the workout equipment and classes to the people who go to my gym, i love everything about it! I've been taking a cardio class and it has really been helping me get in shape, I totally recommend taking one if it is offered at your gym!
--- Feel free to add me! :D

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    No, I use my home gym. I used to go to the gym but hated it.
  • KenzieeeBrooke
    KenzieeeBrooke Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That's nice too! If i had one i'm sure I would love it!
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    We recently joined Planet Fitness and it was pretty much just to get my husband and teenage son more active. I am content to work out at home with the elliptical, treadmill, gazillion workout videos/Fitness Blender, light weights/resistance bands and run.

We like it there and I count any workout I do there as extra since we generally go in the evenings, but I work out every morning at 5am. I will also occasionally go to meet with a couple friends to work out with them.

$10 a month...the price is great and we aren't looking to become body builders or heavy lifters, just toning up and getting cardio in, so it is perfect.

My only complaint would be regarding the bikes. The seats are a hard foam and I have discovered that they trap some nasty odors...none of which belong to me. :sick: No bike workouts there for this gal. :indifferent:
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I used to go to Anytime Fitness but the room to move and access equipment was terrible. Now I run outside and use my free weights in the basement.
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership. I live in a small town so it's not one of those chain fitness places. It's ok I guess, lots of equipment, weight machines, Sauna, heated swimming pool, hot tubs & aerobic classes available, but way over priced for what you get. I only workout there during my lunch hour. I have a treadmill at home so I run on that at night or on the weekends when I don't run into town.

Once I reach my goal weight I plan on dropping the gym membership and maintain my weight using the treadmill at home. I like cardio.
  • KenzieeeBrooke
    Options
    @rumplesnat
    That sounds great! I've never been to a Planet Fitness because there Is not one in my area, the price sounds amazing! I would like to try one out, but I will definitely take your advice about the bikes! Thanks.
  • Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I go to Anytime Fitness but I'm probably done in a few months. I like it but I have to go really early in the morining or really late at night to avoid people and that wears me out. I'll continue my workouts at home.
  • KenzieeeBrooke
    Options
    I used to go to Anytime Fitness but the room to move and access equipment was terrible. Now I run outside and use my free weights in the basement.

Yeah I know what you mean, Anytime Fitness' can be small, however, I am lucky enough to have a bigger sized one in my town. I wish I could do a lot of running but I have awful knee problems and I'm only 17!
  • KenzieeeBrooke
    Options
    I have a gym membership. I live in a small town so it's not one of those chain fitness places. It's ok I guess, lots of equipment, weight machines, Sauna, heated swimming pool, hot tubs & aerobic classes available, but way over priced for what you get. I only workout there during my lunch hour. I have a treadmill at home so I run on that at night or on the weekends when I don't run into town.

Once I reach my goal weight I plan on dropping the gym membership and maintain my weight using the treadmill at home. I like cardio.

Yeah I've learned a lot of people prefer to work out at home. Anyways, your gym has a Sauna? I would love it if mine had that!
  • KenzieeeBrooke
    Options
    I go to Anytime Fitness but I'm probably done in a few months. I like it but I have to go really early in the morining or really late at night to avoid people and that wears me out. I'll continue my workouts at home.

Oh wow, I live in a small town so there aren't very many people at my gym a lot.
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Oh what really sucks about my gym are the hours. Mon-Fri they close at 9:00PM, Saturday they close at 2:00PM and Sunday their closed!! Total bull**** and they have the nerve to charge almost $50 a month!!
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I started out at Planet Fitness, but then after getting used to the workout, I hit a point where I was risking the Lunk Alarm, and I couldn't do the exercises that I seriously needed to. I had asked the trainer about a type of workout that would help me the best, and he flat out said "You probably can't get that here." So I moved to my current gym a year ago - no frills, no fanciness. Just a ton of weight, a bunch of barbells, benches, racks, machines, and some heavy duty music.

I could never get a workout at home like I can there - spotters are a lifter's best friend!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I work at a gym (local chain) but as strange as it sounds, I hate working out there and rarely do so. I much prefer my home gym.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Been a member at my gym for going on a year now. It is open 24 hours.
    The classes are free, I do a variety, and have a trainer for boxing, abs, core and weights. I also use the elliptical, rowing machines and treadmills sometimes.
    I prefer to spend time outside cycling though, when the weather permits.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my gym... I am a member of Retro Fitness. It is $20 a month and has everything I need to lift heavy. Also, it is open 24 hours M-F... :D
  • Sondicalondi
    Sondicalondi Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Love my Planet Fitness membership, my 17 year old son loves it too. No models in skimpy wear or matchmaking going on, everyone just looking to get in shape. They have no classes (which I have done my whole life and taught for 10 years), but I use thier personal training classes which are free, lift, run, bike, elliptical, and stretch. At $10 a month, if I want to do a yoga class or boot camp somewhere else I can.
  • KatC_88
    KatC_88 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I goto Golds gym and I love it! I go to different classes4-5 days a week. Helps with accountability and they always change it up!
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym on the campus. They have a strength training section that's only for female clients. Since I'm pretty self conscious, it's a big relief to not have to train with men. I feel like a noob otherwise...

They have all those high tech cardio machines, so you can browse the internet, watch TV, play games while you run/do elliptic/row/bike or if you're training too hard to pay attention to those functionnalities, you can at least charge your iPod/mp3 player.

Love this place.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I left 24 Hour, and went to In Shape. Has all the weights I could need, a sauna for both the men and women in each restroom. and reasonably priced. I paid $25 down, my first three months are $10 and the rest is $24.99 a month with a year contract. I go every day, and I love it!!!

Planet Fitness is great from what I hear, depending on what your goals are. I prefer to lift and want to get to where I lift heavy, so that was not an option.

It is all a matter of personal preference, finances and what you have available to you.

Best of luck!
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I just joined Planet Fitness and I love it there. Very relaxed atmosphere, no pressure, no major lunk heads, etc. Mine does offer some classes but it's $20 a month. They also have a Smoothie bar and sunless tanning, neither of which I have tried. After comparing a few in the area, this was the most reasonable at $20 a month and the one that I thought would fit me best.