Who here has a gym membership?

Options

Replies

• MelissaSel
    MelissaSel Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have a membership at the YMCA, which is 1.5 miles down the road from me, vs fancier gyms that are across town... would have been too easy to make excuses not to drive all the way over. My Y has a couple fantastic pools, which I did for awhile, but now that it's summer I'm just using the treadmill. I have a knee injury so am limited on what I can do. I have also hired a personal trainer who has his own studio and is not only working with me to lose weight , but to improve functional movement. and I work with him twice a week.
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Too poor for that. I've got my 5 pound weights, punching bag, bike, legs to walk, and pilates...not perfect, but free and I don't have to waste gas to get there.
  • Fitiny
    Fitiny Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership (local chain). It costs me 25$ /month (they had a sale). I do my cardio at the gym 4 times a week.
    I do the strengh training at home twice a week with videos from fitnessblender. I have dumbells at home.
    I get there as soon as they open at 5am. When i get board i workout at home home 3/week and 2/week at the gym.

They have a sauna, no pool. But i'm an in and out girl. When i walk in the door i have my work out outfit on, my bottle of water and my towel, my cell phone in my hands for emergency only ( my family has been warned) . Plus my car keys and my iPod shuffle.
    I don't even go to the locker room.

ETA: they have various classes that i don't attend. I like the freedom of listening to my music and do whatever i want!
  • brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Just curious, who here has a gym membership? What gym is it to? How do you like your gym? I have a membership to Anytime Fitness, from the workout equipment and classes to the people who go to my gym, i love everything about it! I've been taking a cardio class and it has really been helping me get in shape, I totally recommend taking one if it is offered at your gym!
    --- Feel free to add me! :D
    I also go to Anytime Fitness.

The gym is a little small.. and lacks some machines / weights.. But generally speaking I am very happy.

Much better environment than any other gym I've tried.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Gold's Gym. I like it. $25 a month with a year contract (I'm not moving anywhere and I have no reason to NOT go to the gym for the next year so I didn't mind) including the cost of childcare so I can drop my son off. Free classes, sauna and tanning rooms, and I can bring in a friend for free whenever I want.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Olympus, Burke VA. $10 an hour. I have gone once in the whole year I've had that membership, I need to cancel. It's just not my type of gym. It's real small, smells bad, is overpacked with outdated machines and yeah. I'm a swimming / fitness class kinda girl. xD I've thought about getting an alumni gym membership to my alma mater that's right down the street from my house ($500 a year - access to their 5 facilities, discounted PTing and massages, 3 pools, fitness classes, parking pass included), but I'm going to wait and make sure I'm actually going to go before I spend that much. I really liked their gyms and their classes when I went there, though.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I signed up for a 24 hour fitness about a month ago, $25 a month. It's simple, no pool, offers a few group classes, estc. And best of all, no fees to cancel. I even dragged my brother along (He is halfway to his UGW of 180 from 380).

I like that I can use the cardio equipment and weights, especially when it's raining and I can't really use the track near my house.

Worth it. And I'd rather spend $25 a month on the gym, than on a WoW subscription, or fastfood, or all the other things I woudl have before.

Besides, having to pay for something, (hopefully) means you'll make time to use it.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Member at our Local YMCA, it is fantastic has everything you could want and it backs up to a metro riverwalk that has over 18 miles of blacktopped paths for biking and hiking.... We have the family plan and we love it.... they shut down the last 2 weeks in August for cleaning and resurfacing of the indoor track and 8 lane pool so I go to anytime fitness for a few weeks every year really like their equipment too....
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    We have a family membership of our gym (Health & Fitness World Launceston) - its not part of a chain.
    My wife and I go to the RPM classes and I supplement my classes with additional cardio workouts. My son also uses the gym lifting weights. As far as a gym goes - its ok. As a family we are certainly getting our money's worth from the membership.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Gold's Gym

Love it, worth every penny!!!

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have a membership to Gold's Gym and it's very worth it for my needs.
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I have a home gym and a gym membership. I actually prefer going to the gym, I tend to work harder when my traines eyes are boring in to me LOL. I go to the gym 5 nights a week, doing at least 90 mins per session, each session has a different program.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I go to Fitness 19, and everyone pisses me off.
  • Thadreamer87
    Options
    Right now I work out at home but If I had to pick a gym I'd pick planet fitness or the YMCA. I can't stand places like LA fitness because they always try to rip you off with their trainers and push you into stuff you don't feel comfortable with. plus their prices are really high too and they are rude.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have a Bar Method Membership and boyfriend has a Cross Fit membership - that's almost $400/month total.
  • IIFerdi
    IIFerdi Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't have a membership. I do everything at home or where ever I am. I use whats lying around. Doors to do pull ups. Books for weight. works great doesn't cost me anything.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i do. i go to la fitness. i love the gym!!! i tried working out at home, didnt have the right mind set... i feed off the energy of others...
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Love my gym. It's part of a regional chain; great selection of classes and times, drop off for kids, nice range of cardio and weight machinery, free weights, and a decent sized selection of trainers if you'd like. I enjoy working out at home and resisted joining, but the price was right and the classes have helped me jump out of a rut that I was just getting into!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Just curious, who here has a gym membership? What gym is it to? How do you like your gym? I have a membership to Anytime Fitness, from the workout equipment and classes to the people who go to my gym, i love everything about it! I've been taking a cardio class and it has really been helping me get in shape, I totally recommend taking one if it is offered at your gym!
    --- Feel free to add me! :D
    I belong to the YMCAs in The Woodlands, Tx, not far from you. I love them! Free weights, resistance machines, stationary bikes, treadmills, stair-masters, ellipticals, classes, swimming pools, and a sport medicine facility. Plus it's cheap. It's awesome!

I know, I sound like an advertisement, but I really feel fortunate to have access to them.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Last August I joined Gold's Gym, mostly because it was the closest gym to my home (8 miles). I have been there at least three days per week ever since. For my $26 monthly fee I can go to a wide variety of classes (usually do Zumba twice, occasionally more if my schedule allows), and I use a lot of the equipment and weight machines. It's clean, well-maintained, and when I have time I can also relax in the sauna. The gym and people who work there have played a huge role in my weight loss so far.