Can someone explain "Is My Scale Broken"

Options
2»

Replies

• peanutbuttertuesday
    peanutbuttertuesday Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Totally normal to retain water starting a new workout! But I agree with a previous poster, you should be some fluctuation in ounces on your scale. I wouldn't trust it too much if it is staying at the exact same number.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Never heard of such a burn for only 5 miles. My 5 miles always around 300.

I wonder if you're cheating yourself out of some calories. Do you run really slow and/or are you around the 100 lb mark? I think that's what it'd take to burn only 300 calories for 5 miles.

I think you'd just have to be closer to 200 lbs at an average pace and/or run quite fast to get up above 700 calories so it isn't unusual.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    It's unlikely you burn 500 calories in a workout!

Why not? According to Runtastic I burn anywhere from 750 to 850 calories running 5 miles.

Whoah - that's a lot. You must be pretty fast.

or up some BIG hills. Never heard of such a burn for only 5 miles. My 5 miles always around 300.

My fast-ish walks (15 min miles) I average a burn of 100 cals per mile. In an hour long boot camp class I have burned close to 900 calories. I use a heart rate monitor for all of my activities. I think we can't compare our burns to anothers since there are so many things that could make a difference from one individual to another. I do find it fascinating hearing what everyones burns are however for the same activities (see this at OTF classes)
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Why not? According to Runtastic I burn anywhere from 750 to 850 calories running 5 miles.

Or heavy.

5'9" tall and 165 pounds.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,639 Member
    Options

or up some BIG hills. Never heard of such a burn for only 5 miles. My 5 miles always around 300.

My fast-ish walks (15 min miles) I average a burn of 100 cals per mile. In an hour long boot camp class I have burned close to 900 calories. I use a heart rate monitor for all of my activities. I think we can't compare our burns to anothers since there are so many things that could make a difference from one individual to another. I do find it fascinating hearing what everyones burns are however for the same activities (see this at OTF classes)

Fascinating. On my most recent 4mph walk, I burned about 80 calories per mile according to my HRM (5'5", 130lbs, age 61) - some mild hills, but lots of near-flat, about 4.42 miles for 355 calories (distance from Garmin).

But I'm not sure any of our comparative calories help OP, though. (I already threw in my best attempt at helpful, a few posts back.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options

Are you also @ 5'9" tall and 165 pounds like moonstroller?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

What's a workout mean to you? 30-60-90-120+ minutes?
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Fascinating. On my most recent 4mph walk, I burned about 80 calories per mile according to my HRM (5'5", 130lbs, age 61) - some mild hills, but lots of near-flat, about 4.42 miles for 355 calories (distance from Garmin).

But I'm not sure any of our comparative calories help OP, though. (I already threw in my best attempt at helpful, a few posts back.)

I am 5'6", 150 lbs, age 34, there are also a couple of wicked hills on my walk but only a 200 ft elevation gain (I also use a garmin hr/tracking device). I do trust my garmin device for things like walking, hiking, running etc but not so much for group indoor fitness and weight training (obviously) but still use it anyway for those things.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of variables to calculating burn. One person's 300-500 could be another's 800. It depends on how intense and what your heart is doing over time, and obviously what the overall work load is. After all, calories are a measure of energy - and it stands to reason that for the same intensity (not speed), it would take more energy for a larger mass than a smaller one to do the same thing. 500 calories in a workout for me, even a relatively short one, is not out of the question at all. For the OP, I would think it would have to be pretty intense and for a pretty good amount of time (or a super-intense HIIT), but not unreasonable.