Intermittent fasting... 20:4 too much?

Options
13»

Replies

• fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'd wager a bet that you can't show a study to support the protein pushes people out of ketosis.

What's the bet?

PS. Never bet with me.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    I am no fan of keto, but one question I've always asked myself is how does one get micronutrients with less than 25g of carbs per day?

I've never done keto, but I believe organ meats can be a good source of micronutrients that might otherwise be lacking in a very low carbohydrate diet.

A lot of them also come from many dark leafy green vegetables, avocado and in some cases, low GI fruits (berries); last one if you are at a higher level of carbs.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I am no fan of keto, but one question I've always asked myself is how does one get micronutrients with less than 25g of carbs per day?

I've never done keto, but I believe organ meats can be a good source of micronutrients that might otherwise be lacking in a very low carbohydrate diet.

A lot of them also come from many dark leafy green vegetables, avocado and in some cases, low GI fruits (berries); last one if you are at a higher level of carbs.

I knew some people in keto ate greens, I totally forgot about how keto-friendly avocado is. Thanks!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    fatblatta wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I have been doing one meal per day for the past month. just one big meal at around 11:30 am. 8 oz of meat + 8 oz of green leafy vegs + 2 cups of bone broth. no hunger. no craving. losing weight. so far so good. simple and easy life.

This not meeting your calorie needs or nutritional needs and is quite unsustainable and unhealthy.

OP the question is are you able to get in all your calories in this one meal and meet adequate nutrients and calories? If so, no harm. If not, may want to reassess this method.

I'm on a keto diet. most of my calories came from fat. I use fat to cook the meat and vegs. 8oz of meat and 8 oz of green leafy veg and 2 cup bone broth have enough nutrients for any adult.

Diary entries I saw were less than 1000..

that is because I didn't add any tbs of cooking oil. I never know how to add cooking oil as some oil usually stay in the cooking pan. Like when I use 4 tbs of oil + butter to cook my steak, I have no idea how much of that I actually consumed.

Unless you are like 100 lbs, you are barely getting enough protein which would be the area I'd be concerned with. Low protein and lack of resistance training will increase muscle loss and further decrease metabolism.

I'm not sure about the protein. I think too much is a bad thing. I was sedentary for a long time and ate high protein low-fat diets to lose weight. I think this killed my metabolism and I'd always gain the weight back. I try to eat low carb, high fat, moderate protein now. Much better and very sustainable. I agree that adding resistance training is super important.

Youd have to eat a substainal amount of protein for it to be excessive. In fact studies support increased protein during weight loss.

And if anything it supports metabolism.

Not necessarily. LCHF is a ketosis diet. If you are eating for ketosis, excess protein turns right into glucose and has a negative effect. So if ketosis is your goal, moderate protein is the best. Intermittent fasting gets's you into ketosis fast and can help keep you there too.

It has to be pretty high, though, and there are good reasons to not go too low on protein when aiming for ketosis.

Studies discussed here are interesting: http://caloriesproper.com/a-timeline-of-ketoadaptation/

I never said low protein.

Neither did I, I said not TOO low. Read the link to see the numbers discussed.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options

Yes, we don't restrict this stuff. I eat a few avocados a week. I rarely eat potatoes, rice, grains or processed foods. I don't weigh my food or count calories. There is a vocal minority that thinks keto is the meat and magnesium diet. Eat only meat and when you can't go to the bathroom, overdose on magnesium. I don't think this is a good idea. Healthy LCHF, keto, if very low carb, includes plenty of healthy vegetables, healthy fats, and moderate protein. After 5 months my blood work was dramatically improved and I feel great. I have a lot more energy to work out. The main thing is it is very sustainable and simple to follow. I will continue to eat like this and include intermittent fasting when I hit my target weight. I'll add carbs to maintain my weight. Still very little beer, unfortunately.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

In trying to get my carbs to around 50 g (usually more like 50-60 -- so I guess that's only moderate low (psulemon, this is exactly why I never thought of myself as low when I was eating 100-120!)), I find it's not hard to get in most of the vegetables I'd normally eat, but occasionally (although I eat them anyway) I am surprised at how high carb something like leeks or brussels sprouts are. Avocado has some, but fits in well, I'm finding (surprisingly to me), I have to moderate even nuts, not to mention full fat yogurt/cottage cheese. So far I haven't managed to figure out how to fit in berries, but strawberries are supposedly at the green market this weekend so may have to see how high I can push my carbs and stay in ketosis.

I honestly don't see how people can say you can eat a good bit of vegetables on under 20, even under 20 net, as I struggle to do so with under 50 g (like I said, I think there's been one day I wasn't at least a bit over), even though nuts are my only other major carb source and it's not like I eat crazy amounts of them.

It's an interesting experiment, though.

Most of the sources I've seen say the 50 g number, not 20, although they acknowledge that people will vary.

Phinney and Volek say about 20% protein, but if that's of maintenance (which makes sense to me), that number for most will be around .8-1 g of LBM, at least. Assuming my maintenance TDEE is 2000, that would be 100 g, which is perfect (my LBM is around 95). That's in line with the numbers psulemon has been suggesting.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    A 12 hour fast is easy, I don't know why people make such a big deal about it

Ramadan is no food or water.

Ill use my friend as an example. He doesnt like waking at 4am for breakfast, makes him vomit so he stays asleep. He goes to work in a physically demanding job all day. No food no water. Where we are its after 9pm before its time to break fast so he has one standard meal then spends a couple hours drinking water before having a light snack and its bedtime for him hes fasting 21 hours

If it were just a food fast in the height of summer no probs but its the no fluid elements

Ive participated in early spring with my ex husband..... fainted at work
  • healthstriver2013
    Options
    mcbeanstr wrote: »
    Jemmej747 wrote: »
    Fasting doesn't do anything good for you. Eat in a calorie deficit to lose weight. Eat enough every day. The body is designed to normally have adequate amounts of food every day. You will not burn any fat from short fasts.

Gonna have to disagree with you on that. Studies show that there are many benefits but the most common is detoxifying the body.

Ramadhan starts tomorrow - 30 days of fasting from Dawn till dusk. Depends on where you're situated, for me it's roughly 12 hours a day

I know this is an old post, but I have to tell you. I live in Oman and on Ramadan people actually gain lots of weight, because they don't just eat, they binge and mostly fried and high calorie foods, large portions washed down with sugary drinks. Very bad situation, that even doctors warn people during Ramadan not to overeat. Fasting is good, but we have to eat reasonably as well. If we go into calorie surplus we will gain weight.