There are multiple types of squats?

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
So now I keep seeing videos with different names and I'm confused. Which type of squats are the ones I know of as "typical": feet shoulder width apart and you just sit as if on a chair? I saw something called a goblin squat and I don't even remember the rest. Are some better at targeting glutes than others? Which one is best done with a kettlebell? Also, is there any good exercise you can think of for the upper glutes/lower back? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    On my last count there were something like 40 variations of squats. None of them are particularly good for glutes. Things like stiff leg deadlifts, romanian deadlifts, glute ham raise, hip thrusts, and glute bridge target the glutes. Mastering squats plays into overall balance though.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    The basic squat is used in many variations. I think you saw the "goblet" squat--it is a typical squat, but you hold a weight in your hands and squat with it between your knees. You can also squat with a kettlebell. I do Good Mornings with a barbell or Stiff leg deadlifts for glutes/low back. For glutes and hammies, hip thrusts and glute bridges. Google and youtube are your friends.
  • Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    KISS - Keep it simple

Barbell Squats and Deadlifts. Learn them and you'll love them. There's a reason they are a couple of the highest rated lifts at bodybuilding.com.

Build a solid base with these two exercises and then start experimenting with variations.
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    On my last count there were something like 40 variations of squats. None of them are particularly good for glutes. Things like stiff leg deadlifts, romanian deadlifts, glute ham raise, hip thrusts, and glute bridge target the glutes. Mastering squats plays into overall balance though.

Why do people always recommend squats for glutes then? lol. That's the one exercise I knew of to target that section (or so I thought). This is why I don't trust Google. Lol. & thanks for the suggestions.
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options
    KISS - Keep it simple

Barbell Squats and Deadlifts. Learn them and you'll love them. There's a reason they are a couple of the highest rated lifts at bodybuilding.com.

Build a solid base with these two exercises and then start experimenting with variations.

I cant do anything with barbells continuously. I could the few days I go to the gym although to be honest Im likely to drop them on my feet and break something so Im kind of scared (Im VERY clumsy... I broke my ankle severely just walking on solid ground and I have tons of hardware in it now). No space for barbells at home (tiny basement apartment with 5 people) so the gym is the only time I can. I am trying to find some things I can do daily along with the gym. Maybe after I get a bit further down the line I will hire a trainer for barbells...because I wont feel comfortable doing it alone anyway even if I had the space or $.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    The basic squat is used in many variations. I think you saw the "goblet" squat--it is a typical squat, but you hold a weight in your hands and squat with it between your knees. You can also squat with a kettlebell. I do Good Mornings with a barbell or Stiff leg deadlifts for glutes/low back. For glutes and hammies, hip thrusts and glute bridges. Google and youtube are your friends.

Not too friendly because thats where I was told squats are the best exercise for your glutes! lol. Thats why I prefer to ask here. Thank you for the ideas!
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options
    The basic squat with a barbell and feet about shoulder width apart is a "squat" or some call it a standard or barbell squat.

Goblet squats are basically the same but instead of having a barbell on your shoulders you are holding a dumbbell.

In addition, there are sumo squats (wide stance with toes pointed outward), wide stance, box squats (you literally sit on a box and then stand with the barbell on your shoulders), pliet squats (heels together, toes pointed apart), single leg squats, split or Bulgarian squats (one leg up on a bench or box), front squats (done on the Smith machine...feet placed in front of you, used to target glutes and hamstrings) - the list goes on and on.

My best advice to target glutes prior to any squat is to do a warm up with bands - try doing kick backs, abductions, bridges, clamshells, etc. to get the glute muscles engaged. Personally, I find it difficult to really engage the glutes in a standard squat. In order to activate the glutes and lower back I would suggest deadlifts, especially stiff leg dead lifts. Another good one is hip thrusts!

I like kickbacks on the machine so I could try them without one. I never have though. Hip thrusts I think I did and found kind of fun and not too hard. Thats the one with your shoulders/upper back against a higher surface and you have your legs shoulder width apart and lift up at the hips right? I need to write all this down... Thanks everyone!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    The basic squat with a barbell and feet about shoulder width apart is a "squat" or some call it a standard or barbell squat.

Goblet squats are basically the same but instead of having a barbell on your shoulders you are holding a dumbbell.

In addition, there are sumo squats (wide stance with toes pointed outward), wide stance, box squats (you literally sit on a box and then stand with the barbell on your shoulders), pliet squats (heels together, toes pointed apart), single leg squats, split or Bulgarian squats (one leg up on a bench or box), front squats (done on the Smith machine...feet placed in front of you, used to target glutes and hamstrings) - the list goes on and on.

My best advice to target glutes prior to any squat is to do a warm up with bands - try doing kick backs, abductions, bridges, clamshells, etc. to get the glute muscles engaged. Personally, I find it difficult to really engage the glutes in a standard squat. In order to activate the glutes and lower back I would suggest deadlifts, especially stiff leg dead lifts. Another good one is hip thrusts!

I like kickbacks on the machine so I could try them without one. I never have though. Hip thrusts I think I did and found kind of fun and not too hard. Thats the one with your shoulders/upper back against a higher surface and you have your legs shoulder width apart and lift up at the hips right? I need to write all this down... Thanks everyone!

If they were easy, definitely add weight. I know it seems intimidating but that's the only way to grow a booty and target glutes. If you can easily do 10 reps without much burn, then you can go heavier
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Why do people always recommend squats for glutes then? lol. That's the one exercise I knew of to target that section (or so I thought). This is why I don't trust Google. Lol. & thanks for the suggestions.

Because if your quads and hamstrings are weak you'll never be able to engage your glutes well. The legs, especially the posterior chain, work as a unit and it's only as strong as the weakest part.
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options

If they were easy, definitely add weight. I know it seems intimidating but that's the only way to grow a booty and target glutes. If you can easily do 10 reps without much burn, then you can go heavier

How do you add weights to a hip thrust? You know what Ill google it. I doubt they can get that wrong (although knowing people Im sure they can but hopefully I find something helpful lol). I do add to my weight as I get better though. For example, I started the leg press at 100 and I moved it up to 120 then 150. It's not much and it's not a deadlift or anything amazing like that, but for me it is an improvement. I need to be careful not to do too much more than my ankle can handle either since I have screws in it and sometimes it freezes up, etc.
  • peaceout_aly
    Options

How do you add weights to a hip thrust? You know what Ill google it. I doubt they can get that wrong (although knowing people Im sure they can but hopefully I find something helpful lol). I do add to my weight as I get better though. For example, I started the leg press at 100 and I moved it up to 120 then 150. It's not much and it's not a deadlift or anything amazing like that, but for me it is an improvement. I need to be careful not to do too much more than my ankle can handle either since I have screws in it and sometimes it freezes up, etc.

Yup! Take a barbell, or even situate yourself on the Smith machine with a bar pad, and push that up! Very easy! Make sure you squeeze your glutes hard at the top. Your booty will make insane gains with that exercise. One of my favorites. For leg press, I suggest using the one that you load plates on instead of the set machine where you adjust the pin. Better range of movement and overall better for your joints.

I feel ya on that. My left foot and ankle is completely reconstructed and I spent the past 4 years building up strength in it again. I used to fall over every time I would lunge with that foot because my ankle implants are not stable and pop in and out, so my ankle would literally collapse. Now I lunge with 80 lbs. That being said, there are still tons of exercises that I am not capable of doing. Listen to your body, realize when you just need to build up the muscles in your foot and what exercises you should avoid altogether. When did you have your surgery? If you have any questions feel free to message me! I love giving advice! <3
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options

Yup! Take a barbell, or even situate yourself on the Smith machine with a bar pad, and push that up! Very easy! Make sure you squeeze your glutes hard at the top. Your booty will make insane gains with that exercise. One of my favorites. For leg press, I suggest using the one that you load plates on instead of the set machine where you adjust the pin. Better range of movement and overall better for your joints.

I feel ya on that. My left foot and ankle is completely reconstructed and I spent the past 4 years building up strength in it again. I used to fall over every time I would lunge with that foot because my ankle implants are not stable and pop in and out, so my ankle would literally collapse. Now I lunge with 80 lbs. That being said, there are still tons of exercises that I am not capable of doing. Listen to your body, realize when you just need to build up the muscles in your foot and what exercises you should avoid altogether. When did you have your surgery? If you have any questions feel free to message me! I love giving advice! <3

Last year! I didn't walk in 2016 Feb-June/July and the surgery if I remember right was May or June of 2016 I dont even remember but I started walking slowly (5 minutes at a time then 10 etc) because I had a lot of pain. But this past Spring I was able to do 25000 steps in one day and walk for 2 hrs nonstop! It hurt a lot later but it was worth it and I was very proud of myself. That's how I gained 40lbs of my weight - which I have now lost, but I started before I was injured with post-partum weight I had not lost so I still have a lot to lose before I'm comfortable. I'm so scared of barbells :/ I can't do them at home anyway, but they scare me. I'm scared I'll hurt myself. I even get scared using the leg press (thinking if I sit up and this thing comes down it can literally kill me... I have an anxiety disorder lol), but I do use the plated one now. I was using the seated/pin one, but the plated one seems to engage my thigh muscles, calves and glutes all together and I actually *feel* it way more than I do with the one where you move the pins.
  • peaceout_aly
    Options

Last year! I didn't walk in 2016 Feb-June/July and the surgery if I remember right was May or June of 2016 I dont even remember but I started walking slowly (5 minutes at a time then 10 etc) because I had a lot of pain. But this past Spring I was able to do 25000 steps in one day and walk for 2 hrs nonstop! It hurt a lot later but it was worth it and I was very proud of myself. That's how I gained 40lbs of my weight - which I have now lost, but I started before I was injured with post-partum weight I had not lost so I still have a lot to lose before I'm comfortable. I'm so scared of barbells :/ I can't do them at home anyway, but they scare me. I'm scared I'll hurt myself. I even get scared using the leg press (thinking if I sit up and this thing comes down it can literally kill me... I have an anxiety disorder lol), but I do use the plated one now. I was using the seated/pin one, but the plated one seems to engage my thigh muscles, calves and glutes all together and I actually *feel* it way more than I do with the one where you move the pins.

I used to be the same way with being terrified of barbells. I actually started my first 2 years of lifting on a Smith machine until I screwed my back up from that and realized that barbells would be the only way I could avoid another injury. I started light and worked my way up, but this was obviously after countless other random exercises to build my stabilization up in my ankle and stuff. If you're only a year into your recovery you definitely want to start small. I had my reconstruction in July 2013 and I still can't do hikes and walk on uneven pavement/sand. I'll literally fall over and it's not only embarrassing but painful.

And you definitely have the right idea with the plated leg press! It absolutely engages the glutes more. I tweaked my back in January and relied completely on the leg press to replace squats for about a month and it actually maintained my strength when I returned to the barbell. It's a great work out since you can get full ROM. There are multiple feet placements you can try to target different muscles too. For example, wide stance with feet low on the pad hits glutes while feet close together and at the top targets glutes and hamstrings. Single leg press is great as well for building up strength in your recovering foot (go light!!) Also, you can do "sumo" leg press (feet wide with toes pointed out) to target inner thighs and "pliet" leg press (heels together, toes pointed out mid-pad) to hit outer glutes. You'll still see great results!!!
  • Verity1111
    Options

I used to be the same way with being terrified of barbells. I actually started my first 2 years of lifting on a Smith machine until I screwed my back up from that and realized that barbells would be the only way I could avoid another injury. I started light and worked my way up, but this was obviously after countless other random exercises to build my stabilization up in my ankle and stuff. If you're only a year into your recovery you definitely want to start small. I had my reconstruction in July 2013 and I still can't do hikes and walk on uneven pavement/sand. I'll literally fall over and it's not only embarrassing but painful.

And you definitely have the right idea with the plated leg press! It absolutely engages the glutes more. I tweaked my back in January and relied completely on the leg press to replace squats for about a month and it actually maintained my strength when I returned to the barbell. It's a great work out since you can get full ROM. There are multiple feet placements you can try to target different muscles too. For example, wide stance with feet low on the pad hits glutes while feet close together and at the top targets glutes and hamstrings. Single leg press is great as well for building up strength in your recovering foot (go light!!) Also, you can do "sumo" leg press (feet wide with toes pointed out) to target inner thighs and "pliet" leg press (heels together, toes pointed out mid-pad) to hit outer glutes. You'll still see great results!!!

Thanks so much! I don't think mine counts as full reconstruction, but I broke it in 3 places, dislocated it and injured the tendons (and before anyone asks, I was just walking... I twisted my right ankle, went to catch myself on the left and it gave out... no fun story lol). Anyway, I love that machine and I'll try those! I usually do wide stance and didn't even consider other ones, but I don't see why not. To be honest I am also kind of embarrassed being big and doing barbells in the gym and scared to get hurt. I really think I should hire a trainer, but it's so expensive... maybe I need to also join planet fitness on top of my LA Fitness membership lol (I hear they have free traning, but it's much farther from me and I don't own a car). Thank you for all the tips!
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

If you do them in October, they are indeed called "goblin" squats.

hq-goblin.jpg
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options

Not too friendly because thats where I was told squats are the best exercise for your glutes! lol. Thats why I prefer to ask here. Thank you for the ideas!

I meant for form videos...so you could see how to perform the movements.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Nobody has mentioned Bret Contreras yet?