There are multiple types of squats?

Options
2»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Nobody has mentioned Bret Contreras yet?

you just did :)
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    The basic squat is used in many variations. I think you saw the "goblet" squat--it is a typical squat, but you hold a weight in your hands and squat with it between your knees. You can also squat with a kettlebell. I do Good Mornings with a barbell or Stiff leg deadlifts for glutes/low back. For glutes and hammies, hip thrusts and glute bridges. Google and youtube are your friends.

Not too friendly because thats where I was told squats are the best exercise for your glutes! lol. Thats why I prefer to ask here. Thank you for the ideas!

I meant for form videos...so you could see how to perform the movements.

Oh! That. Yes Ill do that. Although I was looking up squats the other day and two people gave me different ideas. lol. I was so confused.
  • Verity1111
    Options

I saw his site but pricey! lol I'm poor folk...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Who? :p
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

fitnessblender.com is free and they have all kinds of exercises.some youtube videos if you google ___proper form a lot of videos will show you proper form to and tell you how to do it as well.
  • Verity1111
    Options

fitnessblender.com is free and they have all kinds of exercises.some youtube videos if you google ___proper form a lot of videos will show you proper form to and tell you how to do it as well.

thanks for the url :) Ill check it out tomorrow. I appreciate it. I am so nervous so I have too many questions lol I just dont want to do all this work for a year + and end up super skinny fat Lol.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I've got a number of them in my book on strength training. I like using a stability ball and weights for them. Also, one where you're on a cardio step, set one foot on the floor, and then squat. Also with dumbbells.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    [quote="Azdak;c-39686012"If you do them in October, they are indeed called "goblin" squats.
    [/quote]

yeah, but the way those goblins complain though . . . too squirmy. it's hard to get a good grip on the ticklish ones.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss incorporating exercise like 30 day shred, ripped in 30, Denise Austin's 3 week boot camp, the Firm's super cardio mix--basically exercise dvds that combine cardio with dumbbells and body weight resistance. I lost 40lbs and was not "skinny fat". I started lifting "real" weights after that, and after being invited by the coach to lift with the H.S. power lifting team. Find something you like and can stick to.
  • smcfetridge8
    smcfetridge8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Squats are a compound movement and will engage your quads, glutes, and hamstrings, and hip flexors. If you go below 90 degrees or your thighs parallel to the floor. You will begin to engage more of the glutes and hamstrings than the quads.
    Also, if you want to increase the intensity of your squats. Try staying in the bottom of your squat for about 3-5 seconds and gradually increasing the time spent there increase intensity. This is called time under tension, where the weight is causing your muscles to hold that position for a period of time. Similar to a wall-sit.
    Lunges are another good movement to add into your workouts either with your own body weight, a pair of dumbbells in each hand, or a barbell resting on your shoulders.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    The basic squat with a barbell and feet about shoulder width apart is a "squat" or some call it a standard or barbell squat.

Goblet squats are basically the same but instead of having a barbell on your shoulders you are holding a dumbbell.

In addition, there are sumo squats (wide stance with toes pointed outward), wide stance, box squats (you literally sit on a box and then stand with the barbell on your shoulders), pliet squats (heels together, toes pointed apart), single leg squats, split or Bulgarian squats (one leg up on a bench or box), front squats (done on the Smith machine...feet placed in front of you, used to target glutes and hamstrings) - the list goes on and on.

My best advice to target glutes prior to any squat is to do a warm up with bands - try doing kick backs, abductions, bridges, clamshells, etc. to get the glute muscles engaged. Personally, I find it difficult to really engage the glutes in a standard squat. In order to activate the glutes and lower back I would suggest deadlifts, especially stiff leg dead lifts. Another good one is hip thrusts!
    Info in bold is not quite right. In a goblet squat, you hold the KB or Db at chest height with elbows out. In a "regular" weighted squat, your arms are straight and the weight hangs between your knees. Goblet squats are harder with the same poundage.

You also can use a lighter weight and hold one in each hand, with arms hanging to your sides.
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    The basic squat with a barbell and feet about shoulder width apart is a "squat" or some call it a standard or barbell squat.

Goblet squats are basically the same but instead of having a barbell on your shoulders you are holding a dumbbell.

In addition, there are sumo squats (wide stance with toes pointed outward), wide stance, box squats (you literally sit on a box and then stand with the barbell on your shoulders), pliet squats (heels together, toes pointed apart), single leg squats, split or Bulgarian squats (one leg up on a bench or box), front squats (done on the Smith machine...feet placed in front of you, used to target glutes and hamstrings) - the list goes on and on.

My best advice to target glutes prior to any squat is to do a warm up with bands - try doing kick backs, abductions, bridges, clamshells, etc. to get the glute muscles engaged. Personally, I find it difficult to really engage the glutes in a standard squat. In order to activate the glutes and lower back I would suggest deadlifts, especially stiff leg dead lifts. Another good one is hip thrusts!
    Info in bold is not quite right. In a goblet squat, you hold the KB or Db at chest height with elbows out. In a "regular" weighted squat, your arms are straight and the weight hangs between your knees. Goblet squats are harder with the same poundage.

You also can use a lighter weight and hold one in each hand, with arms hanging to your sides.

I thought I could hold the kettlebell between my legs for a squat but I couldn't find a video on that! It's a little hard for me to hold it up still. I think I need to start with regular weighted ones until I get a bit stronger. Any chance you know of a video for form? I tried YouTube but kept getting goblet squat ones. That's how I ended up with this thread actually.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You just hold the kettlebell straight down and squat. There are also kettlebell swings with a squat, but it sounds like yours is too heavy for that yet. Here's a good picture (ignore the "bench" part) http://www.fitnessrxwomen.com/training/workout-tips-advice/perfect-legs-glutes/bench-kettlebell-squat/
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You just hold the kettlebell straight down and squat. There are also kettlebell swings with a squat, but it sounds like yours is too heavy for that yet. Here's a good picture (ignore the "bench" part) http://www.fitnessrxwomen.com/training/workout-tips-advice/perfect-legs-glutes/bench-kettlebell-squat/

Thanks! Is my memory right that its to make sure your form is ok dont put your knees past your toes? and your back shouldnt be like a hill (should not curve down), but if it curves should curve upward instead and only slightly (thats what I see in the pic so I assume that part is right)?
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

Thanks! Is my memory right that its to make sure your form is ok dont put your knees past your toes?

Not strictly true, it's more a case of your knees follow your toes, everybody squats a little differently and depending on the stance my knees could go beyond my toes (narrow/hip width) Play with foot position and stance to find what's best for you.

• maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Even the standard barbell back squats have variations, each which are supposed to help with your overall strength and stability in the barbell back squat. Pause squats are where you take several seconds to pause in the bottom of the squat before ascending, and tempo squats are a variation where you purposefully lower yourself into the bottom of the squat as slowly as possible. With the barbell back squat there are 2 different ways to position the bar too. High bar is most commonly seen in Olympic lifting; it is where the bar is placed on top of one's shoulders, and when done properly, the person should appear upright the entire time and is activating their quadriceps muscles (front of the leg). Then there is the low bar version, which is more common in powerlifting as people tend to be able to move more weight with it. With this squat, the bar is lower on the back, sitting atop the spines of the scapula. With the low bar squat, you see a lot more forward lean vs upright positoning, and it calls for greater use of the hamstring muscles (back of the legs) than high bar). I could literally go on all day but I'll just stop myself here. Hope this helps a bit!
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Even the standard barbell back squats have variations, each which are supposed to help with your overall strength and stability in the barbell back squat. Pause squats are where you take several seconds to pause in the bottom of the squat before ascending, and tempo squats are a variation where you purposefully lower yourself into the bottom of the squat as slowly as possible. With the barbell back squat there are 2 different ways to position the bar too. High bar is most commonly seen in Olympic lifting; it is where the bar is placed on top of one's shoulders, and when done properly, the person should appear upright the entire time and is activating their quadriceps muscles (front of the leg). Then there is the low bar version, which is more common in powerlifting as people tend to be able to move more weight with it. With this squat, the bar is lower on the back, sitting atop the spines of the scapula. With the low bar squat, you see a lot more forward lean vs upright positoning, and it calls for greater use of the hamstring muscles (back of the legs) than high bar). I could literally go on all day but I'll just stop myself here. Hope this helps a bit!

Lord. lol. and Im done for the day haha that's so much information thank you! Ill reread it a few times to try to remember it all xo I appreciate it.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Just checked my book on Strength Training: Exercises for Women (author: Joan Pagano).

To be fair, these are for all levels from "I've never done a squat in my life without falling over" to "If squatting were an Olympic Event, I'd be on the national team". Though she doesn't include barbell exercises. (The first two aren't really squats, more like preliminaries to get you comfortable with the idea.)

So. In order:
    • Chair stand
    • Resistive chair stand
    • Chair squat
    • Ball squat
    • Squat with weights
    • Side squat with knee lift using stability ball
    • Side squat with weights (and cardio step)
    • Balance clock (one-legged mini-squats on a cardio step)
    • One-legged squat (using a chair)
    • Mini-squat with press