Watermelon

Options

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Wtn_Gurl wrote: »
    I have around 400g of watermelon, plus the same amount of cantaloupe every single day. A huge bowl for under 300 calories :+1:

For the benefits you get from some food, its worth it. For me, it is way better to have a bowl of watermelon than a piece of cake. I don't mean all you IIFYM folks, but for people who want to choose more nutritious food vs a treat.

Lol wut?

I mean the IIFYM folks will say any food is good. So im putting in a disclaimer that some people are selective about the foods they eat and so comparing watermelon to some candy treat - the watermelon would be worth it nutritionally.

Well, not quite. The IIFYM folks will say that you should choose foods based on your macros, so if I'm at the end of my day and need more fat, watermelon isn't as good of a choice as something with more fat. Like some candy treat, perhaps.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I have around 400g of watermelon, plus the same amount of cantaloupe every single day. A huge bowl for under 300 calories :+1:

For the benefits you get from some food, its worth it. For me, it is way better to have a bowl of watermelon than a piece of cake. I don't mean all you IIFYM folks, but for people who want to choose more nutritious food vs a treat.

Where do people get the idea that flexible dieters eat nothing but cake? Wanting cake sometimes doesn't mean I don't eat watermelon... The two are so different that it isn't really an either/or choice. It sounds as silly as "it's way better to have an apple than chicken breast", yeah, both taste differently and serve different purposes. I'm not going to eat cake when I want something refreshing. I'm only going to eat cake when I want cake (which isn't often), and watermelon doesn't cut it in that case.

I particularly appreciate this thread today because I had watermelon for lunch and I'm going to have some of my husband's birthday cake later today. Watermelon AND cake in the same day, it can be done.

Here's the especially weird thing: Watermelon has some micronutrients that cake doesn't have and cake has some micronutrients that watermelon doesn't have. And they're both enjoyable, just in different ways. It's almost like it doesn't make sense to act like two different foods are somehow locked in a death match where one gets to stay in the diet and the other must be rejected forever . . .

You can't have both. They will duel to the death inside your body and take you with them. I will miss your insightful and inspiring posts. Even your awesome and likeable ones too. Be brave, janejellyroll.

:D
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Thanks to this post, I had to cut up the little watermelon I had at home for desert. It's one of the small ones, but as I've never actually weighed a watermelon before (my first one since adopting a food scale), I thought for sure it would be several hundred calories, and I would just have to portion it out over a few days. The entire damn thing weighed in at just barely over 1000g, for around 300 calories!! That's half what I expected! The best part is that it'll still take me three days to work my way through it, so it barely makes a dent in my weekly goals :). Oh, and it was DELICIOUS!
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I blended some frozen watermelon in my ninja with some fat free coconut greek yogurt. It was DELICIOUS!!!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how much the piece of watermelon I just ate weighed, but I'm pretty certain if I had curled it I would have gained some muscle. :D

Thanks for the idea.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Watermelon is actually pretty low in calories compared to other foods. I don't like watermelon, but I see no reason not to eat it unless it doesn't fill you up at all and/or will make you go over your daily calorie limit somehow. 100g does not look like 2 bites to me...
    mttaj1we92i6.jpg

It looks like 4-5 large bites or 7-8 of my sized bites. I would think 200g (60 calories) could be a decent snack.

that's a really sad amount of water melon- :(

I eat like 1/2 a watermelon if I can.

It is a very small serving to me, but that serving is only 60 calories. I'd likely eat 2-3 of those.

I love to put watermelon in the blender with some red wine for a refreshing summer smoothie.

yeah- I eat watermelon until I'm about ready to burst- that's like- what I would eat when I first cut it open and couldn't wait till it was all cut up.

I legit pummel half a watermelon when I open it.

I like it fresh and still firm- not soggy- so the longer I wait to eat it- the less likely I am to finish it.

But I need to know what red wine do you use? that sounds interesting.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    creamys wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »

If you've gotten you nutrition for the day and can have the piece of cake without going into a calorie surplus, what's the problem? You don't get any extra credit for more "nutritious" watermelon...

I'd call it a matter of preference, belief, and opinion. For the nutritional benefit, watermelon contains vitamins A, B6, and C. It's also high in antioxidants, amino acids, lycopene, and potassium.

The "extra credit" probably differs from individual to individual. Some people would rather have fruit than cake, others would rather have cake than fruit.

Agreed it comes down to preference. That said, my comment was in response to the idea that watermelon was preferable because it was more nutritious. So again, I stand by my comment. If you've gotten your nutrition for the day, what's the benefit to more watermelon?
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    can we get off the whole nutritious thing? FFS a box of cereal can get you your nutrition- it's fortified and all that.

Let's get back to the real question- what kind of wine do you blend with it to make a smoothie?

Seriously, I need to know the answer to this. I'm thinking a crisp white with a champagne float.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    can we get off the whole nutritious thing? FFS a box of cereal can get you your nutrition- it's fortified and all that.

Let's get back to the real question- what kind of wine do you blend with it to make a smoothie?

Seriously, I need to know the answer to this. I'm thinking a crisp white with a champagne float.
    well she specifically red wine and a smoothie.

I think a champagne float isn't going to be a red wine smoothie.

BUT- I'm game for either. you know- for science- so we can figure out what tastes best.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Never made it with watermelon but I would think something similar to what you'd make sangria with. Either a Spanish Rioja, or maybe a fruity red Zin. Also thinking a dry Rose might be good with the watermelon.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

It's nice with crushed ice and vodka.

Serve inside the melon with straws if you're kind enough to share o:)
  • katijjane
    katijjane Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    I don't know why I thought a bowl would be like 50 calories I mainly posted due to how off my mental guess was. I can't be the only person ever amazed at serving vs Calories.

You're not! When I first started using MFP I ate like half a watermelon in one day, assuming it wouldn't be that bad (because most people wouldn't!!) and was shocked at the calories!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Methinks you misunderstand what "IIFYM" really means.

For real. Watermelon fits my macros fo' sure.

I can eat it in embarrassing quantities, though.
    Hack it in half, grab a spoon..
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Watermelon is actually pretty low in calories compared to other foods. I don't like watermelon, but I see no reason not to eat it unless it doesn't fill you up at all and/or will make you go over your daily calorie limit somehow. 100g does not look like 2 bites to me...
    mttaj1we92i6.jpg

It looks like 4-5 large bites or 7-8 of my sized bites. I would think 200g (60 calories) could be a decent snack.

Only 1/2?

Amateur.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

If you've gotten you nutrition for the day and can have the piece of cake without going into a calorie surplus, what's the problem? You don't get any extra credit for more "nutritious" watermelon...

I'd call it a matter of preference, belief, and opinion. For the nutritional benefit, watermelon contains vitamins A, B6, and C. It's also high in antioxidants, amino acids, lycopene, and potassium.

The "extra credit" probably differs from individual to individual. Some people would rather have fruit than cake, others would rather have cake than fruit.

Agreed it comes down to preference. That said, my comment was in response to the idea that watermelon was preferable because it was more nutritious. So again, I stand by my comment. If you've gotten your nutrition for the day, what's the benefit to more watermelon?

Extra nutrition. If the consumption of watermelon supplied you with the amount of potassium you've aimed for, it doesn't mean the benefits of eating more watermelon are nonexistent. That's especially if someone's aiming for an increase with a certain nutrient rather than having a focus on calories.

Again, you've gotten your nutrition. Extra? Extra what?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    mttaj1we92i6.jpg

Only 1/2?

Amateur.

half at a time. ;)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    mttaj1we92i6.jpg

Only 1/2?

Amateur.

Given that most of our watermelons are around 5-8 kilos, I would be very impressed with myself if I could eat a whole one.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I get little ones like the one shown below in my CSA box. They are similar-sized to other melons. I still never can eat a whole one, though. They take me a few days.

dh3aa3rpxuoa.jpg
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Guess I know what else I'll be picking up at the grocery today. Watermelon for after my runs sounds amazing.

Love watermelon. It's pretty much the only thing that I have been known to eat until my stomach hurts. Fortunately, the water moves through quickly and that feeling doesn't last long.