Watermelon

Options
amtyrell
amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
I love watermelon. I always thought it has like 0 calories. It has 30 per 100grams which doesn't seem like a lot until you realize that being a lot of water makes watermelon heavy. 100g is like 2 bites.
Now watermelon is still delicious summery and fits my macros but I was shocked when my serving was like 200 calories.

Replies

• leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    I love watermelon. I always thought it has like 0 calories. It has 30 per 100grams which doesn't seem like a lot until you realize that being a lot of water makes watermelon heavy. 100g is like 2 bites.
    Now watermelon is still delicious summery and fits my macros but I was shocked when my serving was like 200 calories.

What made you think watermelon was zero calories? It's basically sugar water with some fiber, flavor and vitamins. Ha.
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I eat frozen watermelon. Lovelovelove it. I've been eating about 400g of frozen watermelon as my nighttime snack. I know 400g is a "huge" amount, but it only has about 130 calories-- much less than a tiny snickers bar, and healthier than a (much smaller) bowl of ice cream!!

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I don't know why I thought a bowl would be like 50 calories I mainly posted due to how off my mental guess was. I can't be the only person ever amazed at serving vs Calories.

nope when I starting using a food scale for things,servings and their actual size were an eye opener
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Mmmm watermelon. Especially Hermiston Watermelons. Nothing like em.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    I miss the watermelons with the big seeds. Having a spitting contest was half the fun of eating the watermelon.

Come over. All watermelon is locally grown and has seeds here. No fancy seedless types.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I don't know why I thought a bowl would be like 50 calories I mainly posted due to how off my mental guess was. I can't be the only person ever amazed at serving vs Calories.

Oh no - we're all right here with ya on that one. That's why there's so many people with a weight problem.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options

Are you weighing your watermelon now? Because you must take some pretty big bites and use big bowls (or pile your watermelon pretty high in a smaller bowl). 100 g of watermelon would be about two-thirds of a cup of diced or balled melon; 50 calories would be a little over a full cup of diced or balled melon. That seems like a pretty good calorie bargain to me. I can eat well over half a pound of watermelon, and still be under 100 calories.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have around 400g of watermelon, plus the same amount of cantaloupe every single day. A huge bowl for under 300 calories :+1:

For the benefits you get from some food, its worth it. For me, it is way better to have a bowl of watermelon than a piece of cake. I don't mean all you IIFYM folks, but for people who want to choose more nutritious food vs a treat.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have very fond memories of watermelon. It was one of my first solids after stomach surgery, it was in the heat of summer, and I was learning how to stay hydrated. Watermelon is heavenly.