Watermelon

Options

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I roast the seeds off and sprinkle them with chilli. Lovely snack and great nutritional value but that packs a huge calorie hit.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    I love watermelon. I always thought it has like 0 calories. It has 30 per 100grams which doesn't seem like a lot until you realize that being a lot of water makes watermelon heavy. 100g is like 2 bites.
    Now watermelon is still delicious summery and fits my macros but I was shocked when my serving was like 200 calories.
    I don't know why I thought a bowl would be like 50 calories I mainly posted due to how off my mental guess was. I can't be the only person ever amazed at serving vs Calories.

Are you weighing your watermelon now? Because you must take some pretty big bites and use big bowls (or pile your watermelon pretty high in a smaller bowl). 100 g of watermelon would be about two-thirds of a cup of diced or balled melon; 50 calories would be a little over a full cup of diced or balled melon. That seems like a pretty good calorie bargain to me. I can eat well over half a pound of watermelon, and still be under 100 calories.

Something wrong with your maths - how can 100g be 2/3 of a cup if 50 gm is bit over a full cup??

Although it matters not to me as I cant stand water melon, tastes like soggy straw.

Sorry, all you water melon lovers. B)

• lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I love watermelon. I always thought it has like 0 calories. It has 30 per 100grams which doesn't seem like a lot until you realize that being a lot of water makes watermelon heavy. 100g is like 2 bites.
    Now watermelon is still delicious summery and fits my macros but I was shocked when my serving was like 200 calories.
    I don't know why I thought a bowl would be like 50 calories I mainly posted due to how off my mental guess was. I can't be the only person ever amazed at serving vs Calories.

Are you weighing your watermelon now? Because you must take some pretty big bites and use big bowls (or pile your watermelon pretty high in a smaller bowl). 100 g of watermelon would be about two-thirds of a cup of diced or balled melon; 50 calories would be a little over a full cup of diced or balled melon. That seems like a pretty good calorie bargain to me. I can eat well over half a pound of watermelon, and still be under 100 calories.

Something wrong with your maths - how can 100g be 2/3 of a cup if 50 gm is bit over a full cup??

Although it matters not to me as I cant stand water melon, tastes like soggy straw.

50 calories of watermelon, not 50 grams (I had a moment of confusion when I first read it too :smile: )
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Yeah, I find that you can eat a lot of watermelon or other melon for not that many calories.

I don't really love watermelon, though (I know, I know, sorry!) -- I think it's okay, but there are so many fruits I like better. I always end up getting a number of small watermelons in my CSA box over the summer, though.
  • lemurcat12
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Wtn_Gurl wrote: »
    I have around 400g of watermelon, plus the same amount of cantaloupe every single day. A huge bowl for under 300 calories :+1:

For the benefits you get from some food, its worth it. For me, it is way better to have a bowl of watermelon than a piece of cake. I don't mean all you IIFYM folks, but for people who want to choose more nutritious food vs a treat.

Where do people get the idea that flexible dieters eat nothing but cake? Wanting cake sometimes doesn't mean I don't eat watermelon... The two are so different that it isn't really an either/or choice. It sounds as silly as "it's way better to have an apple than chicken breast", yeah, both taste differently and serve different purposes. I'm not going to eat cake when I want something refreshing. I'm only going to eat cake when I want cake (which isn't often), and watermelon doesn't cut it in that case.

Exactly. Weird how I almost never had cake the whole time I was flexible dieting/IIFYMing. (I don't like cake that much -- other than cheesecake, I guess -- other sweets are preferable to me, and I think of cake as like a birthday party kind of thing, not a regular treat. It also played almost no role in my diet when I was getting fat.)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Yeah, I find that you can eat a lot of watermelon or other melon for not that many calories.

I don't really love watermelon, though (I know, I know, sorry!) -- I think it's okay, but there are so many fruits I like better. I always end up getting a number of small watermelons in my CSA box over the summer, though.

I had 600 grams of watermelon as part of my lunch (I foolishly bought a whole watermelon and now have to eat it all up -- my husband doesn't care for it). It was a LOT of watermelon. And it was still under 200 calories. I agree that melon is a pretty good "deal" for the calories.

But once I finish this one, that will probably be it for the year.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    God I love watermelon. I eat it every chance I get.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

I had 600 grams of watermelon as part of my lunch (I foolishly bought a whole watermelon and now have to eat it all up -- my husband doesn't care for it). It was a LOT of watermelon. And it was still under 200 calories. I agree that melon is a pretty good "deal" for the calories.

Lucky. Watermelon is not properly in season here. They do sell some, but we don't usually buy until they're nicely ripe and sweet. Watermelon picked too early is tasteless even if it looks ripe. luckily they go for as cheap as 15 cents per kilo in season because they're grown locally in abundance and no price inflation from import and transport. Plus it's always guaranteed we're getting something fresh and not artificially ripened. The wait is worth it.

I'm also looking forward to local green grapes and the fruits of our peach tree, which are the best peaches I have ever had. Sometimes I wish I could just send everyone some of our summer fruits. I guarantee once people try them no one will be skimping on their 5 a day. My uncle in Russia specifically asks mom every year to bring him grapes every time she visits because when he visited 20 years ago he hasn't been able to find anything like it anywhere since.

On the flip side, I don't get to eat berries because they don't grow well in this climate. :disappointed:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Lucky. Watermelon is not properly in season here. They do sell some, but we don't usually buy until they're nicely ripe and sweet. Watermelon picked too early is tasteless even if it looks ripe. luckily they go for as cheap as 15 cents per kilo in season because they're grown locally in abundance and no price inflation from import and transport. Plus it's always guaranteed we're getting something fresh and not artificially ripened. The wait is worth it.

I'm also looking forward to local green grapes and the fruits of our peach tree, which are the best peaches I have ever had. Sometimes I wish I could just send everyone some of our summer fruits. I guarantee once people try them no one will be skimping on their 5 a day. My uncle in Russia specifically asks mom every year to bring him grapes every time she visits because when he visited 20 years ago he hasn't been able to find anything like it anywhere since.

On the flip side, I don't get to eat berries because they don't grow well in this climate. :disappointed:

I'm pretty sure this watermelon wasn't local, but I got lucky with it -- it is really good. I do love local fruits -- I had some local pears for the first time last year and they were amazing! Can't wait for that time of year (it was late summer here) to roll around again.
  • lemurcat12
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Yeah, we won't get watermelon for a while (northern Illinois). This was the first weekend for strawberries, so it's super early for fruit in general, which is mostly a mid to late summer thing.

On other fruits, I love pears so much.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Wtn_Gurl wrote: »
    I have around 400g of watermelon, plus the same amount of cantaloupe every single day. A huge bowl for under 300 calories :+1:

For the benefits you get from some food, its worth it. For me, it is way better to have a bowl of watermelon than a piece of cake. I don't mean all you IIFYM folks, but for people who want to choose more nutritious food vs a treat.

Lol wut?

I mean the IIFYM folks will say any food is good. So im putting in a disclaimer that some people are selective about the foods they eat and so comparing watermelon to some candy treat - the watermelon would be worth it nutritionally.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options

You misread -- I said 100 grams was 2/3 of a cup, but 50 calories (kcals) was a bit over a full cup.