My best friend doesnt believe in CICO

Options

Replies

• Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I haven't had that extreme of an experience but I can tell you that, in spite of the miraculous (to me) results I've achieved and my overwhelmingly positive experience with counting calories, I've only been able to convince one friend to join MFP and her daily log is mostly empty. :'( She actually texted me the other day and asked if I would do her entries for her because it's too confusing and too much work and she forgets all the time. I said no of course.

Most people really have no idea about science in general, no idea how to discern facts from propaganda and no idea how to go about researching things for themselves beyond clicking on the top article that pops up in a Google search. They want solutions handed to them and don't want to think about it. Sad but true, at least in my experience.

Sounds like your friend hasnt hit that point yet where they are TRUELY ready. Shes at the point where shes recognized a problem but feels defeated. I know how it feels and there isnt any motivating that will change it really .. she just has to get there on her own since its her lifestyle that needs to change.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I have read on a different forum that it isn't about calories in verses calories out but hormones. This person is considered to be the most knowledgeable there and they accept her advice over all others. I'm like sratching my head wondering how she could be 'knowledgeable' and stuff up basic science. That or I simply don't have a clue and it is by a miracle that I have lost weight, especially with a diet that has carbs including fruit in it which causes insulin to do these weird things.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work for everyone. Some people hate numbers, get way to obsessed about being perfect (happens to any type of weight loss, not only cico) some aren't honest when tracking and underestimate!

What I would say is for me CICO is like budgeting money
    Some people have great income (or calorie burn, as athletes) and need not to worry
    Some do great with general awareness
    Some do strict budget on and off
    Others enjoy knowing where they are at, how much they can afford, how much they have towards goals
    Some don't mind being broke and spend borrow as they feel like
    Some get help and ask someone else to do it for them

Do what suits you. I tried to give up calorie counting for no other reason but such comments. Guess what - I regained the weight I lost! It takes me about 5 minutes a day now. I enjoy my life and I find maintenance easy. I like having the data to go back to - what did I eat last week, I felt really good, should I eat more like that this week to? It costs me nothing. I don't see any good reason why should I give it up and have no intention to do so! It's not for everyone but I have been researching long term maintainers lately and many do - either are very aware, do it on and off and do in consistently. Most people aren't maintainers, they are regainers as they view weight loss as end point.

Do what works for you. Set up boundaries, say I am not interested in discussing with you how I eat and don't make excuses! It's your health and your life, and you can decide what is best for you without having to justify it!
  • LexyGetsFitUK
    LexyGetsFitUK Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Might be an unpopular opinion, but for me CICO only works till a certain point. I have a history with disordered eating, so I've spent lots of time counting every single calorie that gets close to my mouth and obsessively tracking my exercises, but whenever I only focused on CICO, I could never get below 110lbs (I'm 5'2) Most days I was barely eating 300cal and exercising like crazy but I didn't lose another pound or another inch. Looking back, I'm not surprised because more often than not, I ate less than 1000cal and nearly all my food was junk food high in sodium and carbs. (A 300 cal day was usually small fries from McDonalds and a diet coke...) Obviously CICO works, but at a certain point you need to start looking at what you're eating too.

"most days"... and on the other days?? binge right?

CICO always works... but fasting for "most days" puts you into a state where you will binge.... Especially if you're exercising every day.

I was there at one point in my life about 10 years ago... except I was doing it by accident... fortunately my dietician had me diary for 2 weeks and put me on a feeding schedule... I lost 10 pounds...

Thats why MFP has minimum calorie recommendations and why so many here argue so aggressively against VLCD because ultimately even if you do stick with it, you'll not be meeting your nutrient needs and you'll start losing other things than weight.... like organ function, and hair, and fingernails.

Nope, no binging at that time - like I said, I was obsessed with how many calories I ate. I ate to a deficit of at least 1000 cal a day. And yes, even on a *kitten* diet it worked like charm for 17 lbs. (SW was 127, I wanted to get to 100) I'm not disputing that CICO works, but it didn't get me to my goal weight.

This time around, I'm trying to lose the weight by focusing not only on CICO but also on eating clean. I should know in a month or so if this can get me under 110...
  • orchidlilly21
    orchidlilly21 Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    So the title says it all. My best friend doesn't believe in CICO. I only told them recently that I started losing weight ( I told them once I was 15 lbs down) we went for a hike the other day, and then were walking back to their house, we stopped for ice cream. I had a ton of calories left so I got a flavor I actually wanted rather than just frozen yogurt. She was shocked and told me i'd never lose weight if im eating ice cream, and that our hike didnt count as exercise because we weren't in a gym (we burned over 1000 calories according to my fitbit!) I explained to her what MFP is all about it, and CICO and she said I was "getting obsessive" with calories I need to stop focusing on that, and eat only healthy foods and go to the gym for an hour every day, dont pay attention to calories. Im shocked that she would have such a strong opinion on it, shes a science major so I assumed something simple like CICO would make sense to her, you need to burn more calories than your body is taking in. Finally I explained I could eat one scoop of ice cream every day, even if thats all I ate, and I was in calorie deficit I would lose weight, she simply just said no you would gain weight and be terribly unhealthy. I agree you wouldnt be healthy, but you would still lose weight. That was it, she said after she didnt want to talk about it anymore. What do you guys think? I know CICO works, its been working for me, and so many other people on MFP. Why do people think CICO wont work??

@laurenebargar you both are correct actually. She is talking about how to eat to live a long healthy life. You are talking about losing weight in a way that may or may not lead to a premature and painful death.

CICO does not directly to human beings that are body, mind and spirit but it does apply quite well to a car engine.

The macro one eats instead of the number of calories that one eats is what determines future health.

Now if a person has a physical/mental condition that prevents the "You Are Full Stop Eating" signals then perhaps long term calorie counting will be a requirement but not in otherwise healthy humans.

Intuitive eating may be damaged in people that never ate a healthy macro in their life. In that case they may be required to count calories for life. Just keep in mind in humans CICO is a false concept when it comes to good health and a long life. If one does not get the protein and fats that are required for good health then they will suffer health wise. The ratio of one's macro is not fixed in some book somewhere but is something we learn over time.

They weren't both right. Her argument wasn't that she would be healthy if she ate only ice cream all of the time, as long as she counted calories. It was that CICO is how you lose weight, and for her knowing how much to eat is how she lost her weight. Her friend was wrong because she said she would be unhealthy and gain weight because she was eating ice cream.

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Might be an unpopular opinion, but for me CICO only works till a certain point. I have a history with disordered eating, so I've spent lots of time counting every single calorie that gets close to my mouth and obsessively tracking my exercises, but whenever I only focused on CICO, I could never get below 110lbs (I'm 5'2) Most days I was barely eating 300cal and exercising like crazy but I didn't lose another pound or another inch. Looking back, I'm not surprised because more often than not, I ate less than 1000cal and nearly all my food was junk food high in sodium and carbs. (A 300 cal day was usually small fries from McDonalds and a diet coke...) Obviously CICO works, but at a certain point you need to start looking at what you're eating too.

"most days"... and on the other days?? binge right?

CICO always works... but fasting for "most days" puts you into a state where you will binge.... Especially if you're exercising every day.

I was there at one point in my life about 10 years ago... except I was doing it by accident... fortunately my dietician had me diary for 2 weeks and put me on a feeding schedule... I lost 10 pounds...

Thats why MFP has minimum calorie recommendations and why so many here argue so aggressively against VLCD because ultimately even if you do stick with it, you'll not be meeting your nutrient needs and you'll start losing other things than weight.... like organ function, and hair, and fingernails.

Nope, no binging at that time - like I said, I was obsessed with how many calories I ate. I ate to a deficit of at least 1000 cal a day. And yes, even on a *kitten* diet it worked like charm for 17 lbs. (SW was 127, I wanted to get to 100) I'm not disputing that CICO works, but it didn't get me to my goal weight.

This time around, I'm trying to lose the weight by focusing not only on CICO but also on eating clean. I should know in a month or so if this can get me under 110...

That's the thing. Whatever diet you do CICO is the explanation why you lost weight. People keep getting caught up thinking CICO is counting Calories. It's not. It's just a formula.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Anyway, I want to second (third, whatever) the people who said outdoor exercise does not count is even weirder than the calorie point -- I honestly would like to hear how that's defended, as I can't imagine someone thinking about. Also, I'll second the person who said not to assume it's about sabotage or some such but that many people have very weird, set in stone ideas about how weight loss works and often threatening those ideas (especially, I find, the idea that it must be really hard and involve deprivation) tends to be resisted. I have a male co-worker who yoyos -- he eats 1200 for a while, loses 20, and then falls off the wagon. He is similarly resistant to this not being a great idea, and says (also) things like "I need to lose weight, but am not ready to give up bread." (I don't really eat bread, but that's personal preference, I would if it was something I'd miss.) People not only think it has to be a huge sacrifice, but it seems important to them to believe it.
  • DaniG_1987
    DaniG_1987 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    From my experience people don't want to the put in the work that comes with CICO. I've lost 59 pounds since January using CICO and I still have people tell me that CICO doesn't work and that it is too much work / not worth it. I've literally had someone tell me they wish they could lose as much weight as I have and asked exactly how I do it and then say, "Oh no, I'm not tracking what I eat. I refuse to do that." after I tell them how I do it. I think of like car maintenance. I know what kind of gas I put in my car and I know how much gas to put in my car--and it has the power to tell the pump to stop feeding it gas. Why shouldn't I know what kind of food I'm putting in my body to help it perform the best and why not know how much food I need to put in my body to have it run properly. My gas pump stopper was broken from decades of being told to clean my plate regardless of if I was hungry or not, so I see tracking calories and using MFP as my gas pump stopper.

I think
    A) CICO is really easy if you just stick to it (though that part can be hard for some), to the point that it might be almost too easy. Some people might think it can't work because it can't be that simple
    B) There is nothing sexy about CICO, there is nothing to sell you, and most people feel full while doing it (aside from the first week of doing it I haven't had a night where I've gone to bed hungry). It doesn't really feel like you are working hard to achieve your weight loss.
    C) It kind of goes against everything you are taught about diets. Dieting should be no pizza, no burgers, no ice cream, just salmon or a chicken breast, steamed vegetables and plain brown rice. There is no huge sacrifice with CICO. Yes, you can't have pizza every single day but you can have pizza like once a week.
  • shaggy340
    shaggy340 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    only thing that works for me is MFP, I'm a cyclist and believe me there are loads of overweight cyclists who ride 100+miles per week, so it's not just about expending calories. On MFP I can eat anything I fancy, sometimesI have a fat MacDonalds burger or fish and chips - doesn't matter, so long as I expend more than I eat I lose weight. I'm rarely hungry even on losing 2lbs a week. I do however, find non-exercise days difficult when sticking to the calories - what exercise gives me is the ability to eat things I like and not be sitting there with salad all the time at meals.

I also have a degree in Sports Science and Physical Education, maybe you can ask your friend to show you the research that refutes CICO?, she might be hard pressed.