To ketogenic people

Options

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    @makowsk8 ...here's a link to an interesting read on the kind of info you are seeking:

mitoaction.org/blog/medication-exposures-mitochondrial-toxicity

Also calling @GaleHawkins who might be able to speak to your question.
  • porcelanmermaid
    porcelanmermaid Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I just started a low carb plan by force because of new medication. I have no idea what I'm doing. Any advice?
  • KhalidAlshehri96
    KhalidAlshehri96 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Samanthaapw. I'm not an expert when it comes to low carb diets,but it's generally about minimizing your carbs intake,ideally below 20g per day,and switching it with more fat and protein.
  • KhalidAlshehri96
    KhalidAlshehri96 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Samanthaapw.One last thing i should have mentioned at the beginning.You should visit a site called Diet Doctor.in this site u will find a keto diet and a low carb diet for beginners explained in details.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    makowsk8 wrote: »
    I'm avidly thinking about keto or some form of it, but I hear Mitochondrial Metabolic Therapy (MMT) is a bit better and ever so slightly different. Doing some general search on here I have not found any commentary on this so can anyone comment on the differences/benefits of MMT vs keto?

articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/05/21/metabolic-mitochondrial-therapy-introduction.aspx

While MMT is a new term to me it is more or less the way I have been eating since Dr. Peter Attia ran up the red flag on pure fulltime Keto WOE and is now eating at about 100 grams of carbs daily the last time I heard.

I think fulltime nutritional ketosis may be key to reversing IR or even type 2 diabetes, etc.

With Intuitive Eating I find myself pigging out on protein or whole fruits from time to time so intuitive eating gave me MMT by default. I still do not do cake and ice cream to get my carbs over 50 grams of carbs some days but I might take a bite at a birthday party under the right condition. In other words I now do some some whole carbs as long they do not include added sugar or any form of any grain.

Is never getting out of ketosis harmful or not I do not know? It does seem reasonable since humans are Flex Fuel beginnings that flip flopping between the two types of fuels would be wise so we have both options in a state of readiness.

After running into this Weight Loss Video last weekend I am still reflecting on this mental weight loss concept. There is some background noise but it was not too bad when I lowered the volume.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=wzJiMp-P_lY

• GaleHawkins
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I just started a low carb plan by force because of new medication. I have no idea what I'm doing. Any advice?

@samanthaapw I went low carb high fat Oct 2014 hoping to keep from starting Enbrel injections in my weakness state of health. LCHF dropped my pain greatly within the first 30 days and has reversed most of my long term health issues. It started eating this way by cutting out all added sugars and all forms of all grains and I plan to do that for the rest of my life. To stay in a state of nutritional ketosis I find I can not eat over 50 grams of carbs daily. Days that I drop out of nutritional ketosis it is due to pigging out on protein and or fruit.

For going on three years I have stayed stuffed on my Macro, lost weight then maintained for the past two years. The video above caught my attention as its subject matter seems to be factual in my case.

Welcome to MFP and best of success.

As the video posted above points out do not try to eat like others and expect the same results. Over time I have found my brain tells me what and how much food to eat. At 66 I have better health and more eating fun and fun in general than 30 years ago. The way that you find that works best for YOU is the right way for you to eat. I think it was about 12 months of trial and error in my case. [post edited by MFP Mods]
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to Keto too. So happy to have found this discussion. I think I'm doing everything correctly and lost 6 lbs in the first week. But another week down and I've actually GAINED a lb back. It makes no sense. I even dropped my calories from 1300 to 1200 to 1100. I just dropped them again today to 1000 in hopes that I can show more gains. My keto stick tells me I'm in ketosis, but the weight is not coming off. Anyone else experience this? Feel free to add me, I'm looking for some good support :) TIA!

@GatorGirlKA while I lost inches the scales did not period for the first 45 days but I was eating more like 2500 calories daily and have never be low calorie since Oct 2014 but do IF from time to time. I just cut out processed foods that contained added sugar and any form of any type of grain. I do walk at least a fourth of a mile daily year round. In time you will find the way to eat that works for you.

Best of continued success.
  • wikisha94
    wikisha94 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I have a few questions about the Keto diet. How much of each macronutrient do you have daily. Also does this diet give you energy and make you feel better overall?
  • evantfunk
    evantfunk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    wikisha94 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I have a few questions about the Keto diet. How much of each macronutrient do you have daily. Also does this diet give you energy and make you feel better overall?

I eat around 200 grams of fat (65-70%) around 135-150 (25-30%) of protein (depending on my activity level that day and around 25g of carbs (5%). Obviously the grams are going to be different depending on your basal metabolic rate.

I've been doing keto for 5 weeks now and aside from the first few days I've never felt better. Have definitely considered keto to be a permanent lifestyle change.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    evantfunk wrote: »
    wikisha94 wrote: »

I eat around 200 grams of fat (65-70%) around 135-150 (25-30%) of protein (depending on my activity level that day and around 25g of carbs (5%). Obviously the grams are going to be different depending on your basal metabolic rate.

I've been doing keto for 5 weeks now and aside from the first few days I've never felt better. Have definitely considered keto to be a permanent lifestyle change.

@evantfunk I wish I had made the change to your macro at your age instead of being 63 and shopping for burial lots. But 3 years later at 66 I am back on track to work to make it to 110 walking and talking the entire way. Keto is not magic or to be worshipped like a religion but it is turning out to give this crippled old man a renewed hope that the best years are still in front of me instead of behind me.

I now understand I am body, mind and spirit and if the last two are troubled it will take years from my body.

Welcome to MFP forums and best of continued success for you and your household.
  • RubyRedCristal
    RubyRedCristal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the ketogenic lifestyle. It's nice to see others here doing the same.
  • evantfunk
    evantfunk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins thanks for your wisdom. You are very inspiring
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    On day 3 and feeling lethargic! Any tips?
    Up your electrolytes. You can drink pickle juice or broth as a quick energy boost.

• AmberSpamber
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to Keto too. So happy to have found this discussion. I think I'm doing everything correctly and lost 6 lbs in the first week. But another week down and I've actually GAINED a lb back. It makes no sense. I even dropped my calories from 1300 to 1200 to 1100. I just dropped them again today to 1000 in hopes that I can show more gains. My keto stick tells me I'm in ketosis, but the weight is not coming off. Anyone else experience this? Feel free to add me, I'm looking for some good support :) TIA!

That is way too low. I work a desk job and get 1400-1700 calories per day (More when I work out). Don't starve yourself, or you will loose energy quickly.
  • AmberSpamber
    Options
    Hi guys! I am on day 3 of Keto. Stepped on the scale and was down 4 lbs- which i hear is not normal, but I will take it! Feel free to add me as I would love more friends on this journey to share successes and ideas with!
  • ellebear911
    ellebear911 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    On day 3 and feeling lethargic! Any tips?

It will pass. It's something called the keto flu that lots of people go through in the beginning. There are some tips for how to get past it quicker online. Mine luckily hit over the weekend, so I could just wait it out.

Yeah. I expected that. I was reading several posts where people suggested to start mid week so you can ride out the keto flu at home. LOL. .Ooops. I started Monday!
  • korrieriley
    korrieriley Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Really new to all this can you explain to me the items you leave out of your diet.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I am on day 3 of Keto. Stepped on the scale and was down 4 lbs- which i hear is not normal, but I will take it! Feel free to add me as I would love more friends on this journey to share successes and ideas with!

its normal when first starting keto. its because you lost a lot of water/glycogen stores in your body. high amounts of weight lost in the first week or so is usually due to a lot of water weight loss.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    @korrieriley ...here's a link to a website that has good basic info on Keto/LCHF:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb