"Diet" programs

Options
2»

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Kathryn247 wrote: »
    To answer some questions about why I need to go gluten free is because consuming gluten makes my thyroid condition worst. I'm not gluten intolerant but gluten free diet will help me recover from my medical condition.

I haven't heard of gluten affecting thyroid conditions myself and am at a loss as to how it would do so.

Have had a hemithyroidectomy myself and am on thyroxine replacement - have never been advised to avoid gluten.

There are a bunch of websites (of unknown reliability) that say gluten can be bad for thyroid function, but the Mayo Clinic says "there’s no evidence that following one diet in particular is an effective treatment for autoimmune disorders such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis."
    http://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/mayo-clinic-q-and-a-hashimotos-thyroiditis-will-diet-alone-help/

shhh don't bring science to the discussion :)

the only thing my endo recommended I limit/avoid is soy (milk etc) for thyroid conditions because there is indications that it could affect medication
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and kosher. Beyond that, I eat what I want, trying to hit my MFP protein target and my iron RDA. So far, today, I've had grapes, a double-protein, fat-free Greek yogurt, and a peanut butter granola bar (one bar out of a 2-bar envelope)