When does the hunger pains fade?

Options
lezelle123
lezelle123 Posts: 30 Member
Well ad the title says really! So on day one of this calorie counting and im feeling really hungry .. before this diet i sometimes wouldnt even eat the RDAllownace of 2000 calories and wouldny feel hungry.. whats up with that? Also any tips u can share to make me feel fuller.. ive only had cereal.. some soup and some fruit juice so far today. Cheers

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough fat and protein. What you've described as having had today is mostly carbs which is fine but it won't necessarily make you feel full.

Unless you were weighing your food previously you probably have been eating more than you think, otherwise why would you be needing to lose weight in the first place? This is probably why you felt fine before.
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Well first of all, I'm not sure fruit juice is the best use of your calories. Also, try foods you need to chew instead of 'foods' you can basically drink. That'll help a lot already.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Chances are you have cravings, not hunger. Just the idea of restricting food intake can make you hungry. And hunger isn't dangerous if you eat enough. So how much are you eating and what's your height and weight? If you haven't done "this calorie counting" for a whole day, you can't really say how it's going yet. Cereal, soup and fruit juice doesn't sound very nutritious. Eat things like sandwiches, porridge, yogurt, dinners (meat/fish, potatoes/rice/pasta, vegs), fruit, raw vegetables, nuts, beans, cheese, eggs. If you're eating too little, or poorly, you'll be increasingly hungry.
  • lezelle123
    Options
    GoldenEye_ wrote: »
    Well first of all, I'm not sure fruit juice is the best use of your calories. Also, try foods you need to chew instead of 'foods' you can basically drink. That'll help a lot already.

Volvic fruity water not allowed?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lezelle123 wrote: »
    Well ad the title says really! So on day one of this calorie counting and im feeling really hungry .. before this diet i sometimes wouldnt even eat the RDAllownace of 2000 calories and wouldny feel hungry.. whats up with that? Also any tips u can share to make me feel fuller.. ive only had cereal.. some soup and some fruit juice so far today. Cheers

you've eaten pretty much all carbs, look at your fat and protein intake.

also, 2000 cals is the average intake for a woman... doesn't mean your maintenance is necessarily that much.
  • lezelle123
    Options
    Chances are you have cravings, not hunger. Just the idea of restricting food intake can make you hungry. And hunger isn't dangerous if you eat enough. So how much are you eating and what's your height and weight? If you haven't done "this calorie counting" for a whole day, you can't really say how it's going yet. Cereal, soup and fruit juice doesn't sound very nutritious. Eat things like sandwiches, porridge, yogurt, dinners (meat/fish, potatoes/rice/pasta, vegs), fruit, raw vegetables, nuts, beans, cheese, eggs. If you're eating too little, or poorly, you'll be increasingly hungry.

Hey thanks for the info.. well i thought a bowl of cereal for breakfast would be healthy as it was only a little drop calories? Yep only a day i cant say how im doing but i can sure say im feeling hungrier than i usually would. Im just about have some meat for lunch but thanks for the advice.. oh im 5ft2 and havent weighed myself as of yet. Just a guestimate as i have no scales in the house. Thanks
  • lezelle123
    Options

you've eaten pretty much all carbs, look at your fat and protein intake.

also, 2000 cals is the average intake for a woman... doesn't mean your maintenance is necessarily that much.

Sorry this is the first 'diet' ive ever been on. Im h avung meat for lunch. I will get there thanks
  • lezelle123
    Options
    Im so confused woth carbs.. fats and protein.. so i need less carbs and more fats and protein.. is that right?
  • lezelle123
    Options
    Also dont think i ate too much carbs a bowl of soup and a small bowl of cereal dosent sound like much
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Also dont think i ate too much carbs a bowl of soup and a small bowl of cereal dosent sound like much

Cereal isn't filling in general nor is soup really - try eggs for breakfast on wholewheat toast, or porridge/oatmeal and if you're having soup have some protein too.
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    If I eat cereal in the morning (or toast), I'm really hungry the rest of the day. If I have an egg, I'm OK.

As others have said, you may want to play around with the types of foods you eat -- some people swear they go hours feeling fine after a bowl of oatmeal. That's definitely not me.
  • lezelle123
    Options
    Thanks i will avoid the cereal.. thought i was doing well even eating a breakfast.. i usually skip!
  • GoldenEye_
    edited May 2017
    Options

Well, I wouldn't say not allowed, but if you look at the label it's 24 grams of sugar per half a liter. You might as well have some much more filling (and healthy!) real fruit instead of that. (ingredients:http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/volvic-water-touch-of-strawberry-60081189)
  • lezelle123
    Options

Well, I wouldn't say not allowed, but if you look at the label it's 24 grams of sugar per half a liter. You might as well have some much more filling fruit instead of that. (ingredients:http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/volvic-water-touch-of-strawberry-60081189)

Thanks im only going by calories that i search
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks i will avoid the cereal.. thought i was doing well even eating a breakfast.. i usually skip!

i find protein enriched cereal keeps me going a lot longer than normal cereal.
  • GoldenEye_
    Options

Well, I wouldn't say not allowed, but if you look at the label it's 24 grams of sugar per half a liter. You might as well have some much more filling fruit instead of that. (ingredients:http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/volvic-water-touch-of-strawberry-60081189)

Try learning a bit more about macro's (protein, carbs and fats) Having the right balance will most likely get rid of your hunger.
  • lezelle123
    Options
    Thanks ill do some googling tonight as i shoulf know what s what bit i dont!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options

Can I ask how many calories the cereal, soup, and fruit juice added up to? Doesn't sound like much. No wonder you're hungry.

We all need to experiment on ourselves to see what combinations of foods, and when we eat them, are most satisfying. For example, if you're not hungry in the morning, don't eat breakfast. If you are hungry but cereal isn't filling, try eggs or yogurt.

All you need to do to lose weight is eat less. How you divvy up those calories is up to you. For health, you'll also want to consider nutrition, but that's another topic.

For me, what works is a moderate deficit (1 lb/wk), eating several small meals a day, and always eating carbs with proteins and/or fats. I also exercise with cardio so that I can have a few more calories during the day.

Good luck!
  • ureadyforbowflex
    ureadyforbowflex Posts: 5 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Lezelle123, you should talk to someone, maybe a dietician, nutritionist. your doctor. or even some ancillary information from a brief meeting with a personal trainer to get all your dietary questions answered. It looks like you are just starting your journey here and a conversation with someone who can hammer out what food groups to help make your journey less "painful" and more "satiating" can go far for you. Just a thought.

I know it was certainly stressful for me to hammer out a meal plan or recipes that would fit my CICO goals, but trust me and probably all of us here, its a piece of cake once you get it down. It also sounds like you do not have your macro numbers calculated yet.

https://tdeecalculator.net/

Use this TDEE calculator to figure out your macros.

Figuring out what your carbs, fats, and protein needs are will be key to helping you avoid these hunger pains (well it may not go away, but it will help mitigate). You can also learn to adjust your dietary needs to stay within a caloric deficit and be less "hungry." I do it by eating more protein which gives me the feeling of being full.

Anyways good luck. Seriously go talk to someone. It sounds like you have very basic questions that need to be answered.
  • lezelle123
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »

Can I ask how many calories the cereal, soup, and fruit juice added up to? Doesn't sound like much. No wonder you're hungry.

We all need to experiment on ourselves to see what combinations of foods, and when we eat them, are most satisfying. For example, if you're not hungry in the morning, don't eat breakfast. If you are hungry but cereal isn't filling, try eggs or yogurt.

All you need to do to lose weight is eat less. How you divvy up those calories is up to you. For health, you'll also want to consider nutrition, but that's another topic.

For me, what works is a moderate deficit (1 lb/wk), eating several small meals a day, and always eating carbs with proteins and/or fats. I also exercise with cardio so that I can have a few more calories during the day.

Good luck!

Hi thanks for ure reply. Breakfast was 237 calories and my lunch in total was 617 i will have eggs and yoghurt tomorrow