When does the hunger pains fade?

Options

Replies

• Spartan_Gingi
    Spartan_Gingi Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water. Every time I think I'm hungry, I drink water first. If the tummy is still growling 20 mins later, I know it really is hunger.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried cheese curds? I agree with what other's are saying- cereal and juice in the morning is so sugary! It spikes your sugar levels and then it crashes so you feel hungry. I def recommend eating more 'hearty' stuff for breakfast- eggs, oatmeal, cheese, peanut butter- that kind of thing. If you have the insurance for it, or maybe your work offers it as an incentive (my work does a week of doctor-y stuff in the summer to encourage employees to be healthy), see if you can make an apt with a nutritionist who can help explain all the macros and how to eat a balanced meal.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lezelle123 wrote: »
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    GoldenEye_ wrote: »
    GoldenEye_ wrote: »
    Well first of all, I'm not sure fruit juice is the best use of your calories. Also, try foods you need to chew instead of 'foods' you can basically drink. That'll help a lot already.

Volvic fruity water not allowed?

Well, I wouldn't say not allowed, but if you look at the label it's 24 grams of sugar per half a liter. You might as well have some much more filling fruit instead of that. (ingredients:http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/volvic-water-touch-of-strawberry-60081189)

Thanks im only going by calories that i search

Can I ask how many calories the cereal, soup, and fruit juice added up to? Doesn't sound like much. No wonder you're hungry.

We all need to experiment on ourselves to see what combinations of foods, and when we eat them, are most satisfying. For example, if you're not hungry in the morning, don't eat breakfast. If you are hungry but cereal isn't filling, try eggs or yogurt.

All you need to do to lose weight is eat less. How you divvy up those calories is up to you. For health, you'll also want to consider nutrition, but that's another topic.

For me, what works is a moderate deficit (1 lb/wk), eating several small meals a day, and always eating carbs with proteins and/or fats. I also exercise with cardio so that I can have a few more calories during the day.

Good luck!

Hi thanks for ure reply. Breakfast was 237 calories and my lunch in total was 617 i will have eggs and yoghurt tomorrow

600 cals of liquid wouldn't keep me full... you could definitely get a better lunch for that many calories!
  • lezelle123
    lezelle123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Relser wrote: »
    Have you ever tried cheese curds? I agree with what other's are saying- cereal and juice in the morning is so sugary! It spikes your sugar levels and then it crashes so you feel hungry. I def recommend eating more 'hearty' stuff for breakfast- eggs, oatmeal, cheese, peanut butter- that kind of thing. If you have the insurance for it, or maybe your work offers it as an incentive (my work does a week of doctor-y stuff in the summer to encourage employees to be healthy), see if you can make an apt with a nutritionist who can help explain all the macros and how to eat a balanced meal.

No i haven't tried cheese curds.. dosent soind appealing to me lol i dont work either im a stay at home mum. I do walk quite alot tajing kids to schools pock ups and after school clubs. Im sure i will get the hang of this. thanks
  • ureadyforbowflex
    ureadyforbowflex Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lezelle123, you should talk to someone, maybe a dietician, nutritionist. your doctor. or even some ancillary information from a brief meeting with a personal trainer to get all your dietary questions answered. It looks like you are just starting your journey here and a conversation with someone who can hammer out what food groups to help make your journey less "painful" and more "satiating" can go far for you. Just a thought.

I know it was certainly stressful for me to hammer out a meal plan or recipes that would fit my CICO goals, but trust me and probably all of us here, its a piece of cake once you get it down. It also sounds like you do not have your macro numbers calculated yet.

https://tdeecalculator.net/

Use this TDEE calculator to figure out your macros.

Figuring out what your carbs, fats, and protein needs are will be key to helping you avoid these hunger pains (well it may not go away, but it will help mitigate). You can also learn to adjust your dietary needs to stay within a caloric deficit and be less "hungry." I do it by eating more protein which gives me the feeling of being full.

Anyways good luck. Seriously go talk to someone. It sounds like you have very basic questions that need to be answered.

or ask on MFP, which she is doing....

yes you can keep asking on MFP. But talking to someone AGAIN, can help expedite the process and put you on the right track from day 1 instead of collecting small tid-bits of anecdotal advice here and there from MFP until you finally get it right a few weeks from now.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious...
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Lezelle123, you should talk to someone, maybe a dietician, nutritionist. your doctor. or even some ancillary information from a brief meeting with a personal trainer to get all your dietary questions answered. It looks like you are just starting your journey here and a conversation with someone who can hammer out what food groups to help make your journey less "painful" and more "satiating" can go far for you. Just a thought.

I know it was certainly stressful for me to hammer out a meal plan or recipes that would fit my CICO goals, but trust me and probably all of us here, its a piece of cake once you get it down. It also sounds like you do not have your macro numbers calculated yet.

Figuring out what your carbs, fats, and protein needs are will be key to helping you avoid these hunger pains (well it may not go away, but it will help mitigate). You can also learn to adjust your dietary needs to stay within a caloric deficit and be less "hungry." I do it by eating more protein which gives me the feeling of being full.

Anyways good luck. Seriously go talk to someone. It sounds like you have very basic questions that need to be answered.

yes you can keep asking on MFP. But talking to someone AGAIN, can help expedite the process and put you on the right track from day 1 instead of collecting small tid-bits of anecdotal advice here and there from MFP until you finally get it right a few weeks from now.

given that a doctor does at most a half day on nutrition and weight loss as part of their training, i am not sure how that is better than the dozens of people with experience of successful weight loss who are on these forums... but ok.
  • ureadyforbowflex
    ureadyforbowflex Posts: 5 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

given that a doctor does at most a half day on nutrition and weight loss as part of their training, i am not sure how that is better than the dozens of people with experience of successful weight loss who are on these forums... but ok.

Your PCP, does a lot more than a half a day on nutrition...then don't go to a doctor, got to a nutritionist or even a personal trainer who can look at you, talk to you about your fitness goals as well as your dietary goals, all the while providing at least some detailed knowledge on what a balanced meal looks like while answering all the questions she might have from that conversation. Not sure why you wouldn't want her expediting the process and getting it right?

I think MFP is a great resource and the community helps keep you accountable and is just fun to lurk around. But what I gave is sound advice. no matter how you look at it buddy.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Also, check your entries against actual data. Googling your sizzle steaks came up with a similar calorie count, but the macros (carbs, protein, and fat) were WAY OFF from ASDA's listed data on their site. From the sounds of the listing, someone calculated them slathered in a sauce and served on big/thick bread or something. From the meat itself (listed on ASDA's website), it would have been far less carbs and fat and more protein, etc. So make sure you're verifying your data.
  • bigguyreed
    bigguyreed Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    They will go way when I first started losing weight I was hungry while I was working out. As I began to lose weight I became less hungry. Now I eat more protein and that fills me up. Sometime I eat carbs be for I work out for energy I also drink zero power aid while I'm working out. That works for me but, you may be different. You can do what ever you put your mind to.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Thanks ill do some googling tonight as i shoulf know what s what bit i dont!

Check out this post here - there is some really helpful information on calorie control and macronutrition http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Quantity: Are you weighing your food so that you are really eating what you think you are eating? (Y/N)
    Quality: Are you including foods that nourish you? Are you eating more fats / proteins and less carbs / sugar? (Y/N)

I like the following macros for not being hungry: 45% protein, 40% fat (coconut, butter, olive oil), 15% carbs.

Check out this website for ideas:
    https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/differences-between-the-weston-a-price-foundation-diet-and-the-paleo-diet/

Note:
    • Sugar / carbs fill you up initially and spike your blood sugar and when your insulin drops you crash and are hungry.
    • Fiber rich foods, including "non-foods" like psyllium, rice bran, oat bran in your smoothies, soups, etc. can help you feel full in that they delay the emptying from the stomach and increase motility of the bowel.

Eventually your stomach shrinks and you adjust... it does get better you just hair to keep trying until you find what works for you.
  • lezelle123
    lezelle123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Also, check your entries against actual data. Googling your sizzle steaks came up with a similar calorie count, but the macros (carbs, protein, and fat) were WAY OFF from ASDA's listed data on their site. From the sounds of the listing, someone calculated them slathered in a sauce and served on big/thick bread or something. From the meat itself (listed on ASDA's website), it would have been far less carbs and fat and more protein, etc. So make sure you're verifying your data.

Ok im going to have to get to grips with marcros... ive never heard of it before.. macros are on my page it does show me in macros too . Thanks
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Ok im going to have to get to grips with marcros... ive never heard of it before.. macros are on my page it does show me in macros too . Thanks

when you look at what MFP gives you as macros, work on protein and fat as a minimum. other than that, its about finding out the best way to eat that is sustainable for you. some people are better with low carb or low fat, and some people just go for moderate macros across the board.

at the end of the day, its the calorie deficit that makes you lose weight though, macros just make it easier to stick to the deficit.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I've been hungry since 1999.

:D
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @lezelle123 With only 15 post's that tells me you are fairly new to MFP. So welcome to the Forum's.
    The stock advice I give is to go read the Stickies in the Forum's as there is a lot of good information that will help you. This whole process is a science experiment and you are the subject of study, so take your time and continue to reach out to the MFP forum's for advice and feedback. As others have said you probably need to add a little more protein. Not sure where you live and I don't troll, but if you have a registered dietician available through your local Health services it's well worth the visit. One of the best piece's of advice I received from the Dietician at our local Hospital was " Don't Drink your Calories". It's so easy to consume a lot of calories with low nutritional value, a piece of fruit is better than a glass of juice, Iced Cappuccino's, Milk Shakes etc are calorie bombs.
    It will take you a while to learn what works for you so be patient, work on one or two things at a time and they will become routine.

If you go to the Getting Started Message Board you will see a list of posts at the top of page 1 that have Announcement and Closed below them, these are commonly referred to as the Stickies. The one titled Most Helpful Posts - Getting Started (Must Reads) is exactly what it says. This concept applies to all the Forum's.

Here are some of the direct Links.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300312/most-helpful-posts-food-and-nutrition-must-reads#latest

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/a-beginners-guide-to-your-metabolism/

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/quick-easy-guide-creating-calorie-deficit/[/quote]

There is also an evolving forum about Old Posts that is a good resource.

Follow this chart as a General Guide:
    bg3o20tqm6jv.jpg

When it comes to the MFP pre-defined calorie burns most of them appear to be higher than other sources.
    So if you start to log exercise calories do the experiment, eat back 3/4 or 1/2 of the estimated Calories Burned for at least a 3-4 week period and then analyze and adjust. It's important to do it over a longer time period as we all have natural body rhythm fluctuations that will affect our weight.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Thanks i will avoid the cereal.. thought i was doing well even eating a breakfast.. i usually skip!

You don't have to eat breakfast. If you normally don't eat it, then don't start. I know for me, if I try to eat a breakfast, I will be hungry ALL DAY LONG. Like, ravenous all day long. And I won't be able to stick to my calorie goal.

So just start eating when you normally do. If that's lunch, great! You will probably have an easier time than if you try to start eating breakfast, which you normally skip anyway.
  • Tiikerinraidat
    Tiikerinraidat Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi thanks for ure reply. Breakfast was 237 calories and my lunch in total was 617 i will have eggs and yoghurt tomorrow

Definitely isn't a lot if that's all you had all day - it is not enough for your body to keep going. I think that must be around half of what MFP gives even on the lowest calories and that's what you should be aiming for, at least.

But others have already given you good tips here. I can say about myself that eating mostly carbs makes me just feel more hungry (or I get hungry faster) but if it is a balanced mix of carbs, protein and fat, hunger isn't an issue.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Mind over matter these hunger pains I am sure... when we change our eating habits we think we have to eat a little as possible but that just isn't true nor can you live your life that way". Like many have said, Protein and healthy fats over empty carbs. they will keep you fuller longer. Also drink a lot of water, water helps you feel full as well. I drink a gallon of water a day as I gave up any calorie liquids other than the adult beverage kind B) I make a protein bowl for breakfast that keeps me satisfied well into lunch. Plain low fat Greek yogurt mixed with a 1/2 scoop of my favorite protein powder, 1/4 cup of trail mix topped with some mixed berries. Other days I have 2 over easy hard boiled eggs or some avocado smash on multi grain toast. Lunch usually consists of some cut veggies and hummus with tuna fish, string cheese or grilled chicken over a bed of fresh spinach and veggies. I am big on making crock pot soup for the week as well. Ground turkey and bean soup is my go to, I brown up lean ground turkey in chopped onions, add fire roasted tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans organic vegetable stock and some frozen cauliflower rice, add hot pepper flakes, spices and cook on low all day... YUM ;) Nuts/seeds, almond butters, beans, olive/coconut oil, eggs, avocados are all staples in my house. get creative, find new things, google recipes and enjoy eating. Good luck to you!!!