When does the hunger pains fade?

Options

Replies

• joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    lezelle123 wrote: »
    Well ad the title says really! So on day one of this calorie counting and im feeling really hungry .. before this diet i sometimes wouldnt even eat the RDAllownace of 2000 calories and wouldny feel hungry.. whats up with that? Also any tips u can share to make me feel fuller.. ive only had cereal.. some soup and some fruit juice so far today. Cheers

Eat foods with high satiety. You shouldn't be hungry. Simple carbs like Cereal will cause an insulin spike making you hungry.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Well ad the title says really! So on day one of this calorie counting and im feeling really hungry .. before this diet i sometimes wouldnt even eat the RDAllownace of 2000 calories and wouldny feel hungry.. whats up with that? Also any tips u can share to make me feel fuller.. ive only had cereal.. some soup and some fruit juice so far today. Cheers

Protein, fiber & fat are filling. It's a different combination for everyone. There is a bit of a learning curve. Don't worry that you are hungry on day 1. Make changes: tweak choices, change up meal timing a bit. You'll get the hang of it.

Ditch the juice in favor of whole fruit. You are not getting any of the fiber. The fiber would slow digestion down.

Does your cereal contain fiber? Are you using milk (protein) that contains fat? My breakfast is 2% Greek yogurt (lots of protein) with berries, or sliced banana and Fiber One sprinkles.
  • lezelle123
    lezelle123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the tips everyone.. im gonna sound like a moan i am coping but my tummys still rumbling after having my lunch like 15 mins after having lunch
  • lezelle123
    Options
    Half of my comment didnt come up.. as i was saying im just bot getting the hang of these macros! I just thought i was ditching calories x
  • letchworthnat
    letchworthnat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I found the hunger pains usually fade at around 2 weeks sometimes less!! :)
  • lezelle123
    Options
    I found the hunger pains usually fade at around 2 weeks sometimes less!! :)

Thanks for your reply
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

I'd not overcomplicate it to start. It's a learning process for everyone. One good way to start, however, is to write down how you used to eat and then figure out how to make some changes. Not everyone finds it helpful to eat in the morning. Some find it helps them be LESS hungry throughout the day or just want to, but others find it makes it harder. (They don't get hungry until noon unless they eat breakfast, and they they are ravenous all day). You may want to experiment.

I do personally find high carb breakfasts (like cereal) not filling, but it really depends. For me, 237 calories is pretty low for breakfast, regardless of what you eat also. (Especially if part of that was from fruit juice, which would do nothing for me.) But don't worry about picking specific macros yet, just maybe try adding some protein and fat into the breakfast -- instead of fruit juice, maybe some greek yogurt with berries, for example, or eggs if you like them. Both could be consumed WITH the cereal if you enjoy it, or instead of it.)

I'd suggest making fewer changes at first, though -- look at your old way of eating and pick out some higher cal things that could be cut back on. I cut things like the size of servings of starchy sides like potatoes and rice (or bread), added fat like cheese and olive oil (I didn't cut it out, but added less) and things I was eating between meals. Also, any calories in drinks is a good place to cut for lots of people.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Relser wrote: »
    Have you ever tried cheese curds? I agree with what other's are saying- cereal and juice in the morning is so sugary! It spikes your sugar levels and then it crashes so you feel hungry. I def recommend eating more 'hearty' stuff for breakfast- eggs, oatmeal, cheese, peanut butter- that kind of thing. If you have the insurance for it, or maybe your work offers it as an incentive (my work does a week of doctor-y stuff in the summer to encourage employees to be healthy), see if you can make an apt with a nutritionist who can help explain all the macros and how to eat a balanced meal.

No i haven't tried cheese curds.. dosent soind appealing to me lol i dont work either im a stay at home mum. I do walk quite alot tajing kids to schools pock ups and after school clubs. Im sure i will get the hang of this. thanks

Just a note. Cheese curds are an unbelievably delicious form of cheese. It's what we use to make proper Poutine up here is Canada. Once it's melted it's super gooey stringy. Like on those pizza commercials when they pull a slice away and the cheese stretches forever.
  • lezelle123
    Options
    Relser wrote: »
    Have you ever tried cheese curds? I agree with what other's are saying- cereal and juice in the morning is so sugary! It spikes your sugar levels and then it crashes so you feel hungry. I def recommend eating more 'hearty' stuff for breakfast- eggs, oatmeal, cheese, peanut butter- that kind of thing. If you have the insurance for it, or maybe your work offers it as an incentive (my work does a week of doctor-y stuff in the summer to encourage employees to be healthy), see if you can make an apt with a nutritionist who can help explain all the macros and how to eat a balanced meal.

No i haven't tried cheese curds.. dosent soind appealing to me lol i dont work either im a stay at home mum. I do walk quite alot tajing kids to schools pock ups and after school clubs. Im sure i will get the hang of this. thanks

Just a note. Cheese curds are an unbelievably delicious form of cheese. It's what we use to make proper Poutine up here is Canada. Once it's melted it's super gooey stringy. Like on those pizza commercials when they pull a slice away and the cheese stretches forever.

I will give it a wee try! Im from edinburgh scotland and dont think ive seen cheese curds on the shelves
  • lezelle123
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Welcome to MFP!

I'd not overcomplicate it to start. It's a learning process for everyone. One good way to start, however, is to write down how you used to eat and then figure out how to make some changes. Not everyone finds it helpful to eat in the morning. Some find it helps them be LESS hungry throughout the day or just want to, but others find it makes it harder. (They don't get hungry until noon unless they eat breakfast, and they they are ravenous all day). You may want to experiment.

I do personally find high carb breakfasts (like cereal) not filling, but it really depends. For me, 237 calories is pretty low for breakfast, regardless of what you eat also. (Especially if part of that was from fruit juice, which would do nothing for me.) But don't worry about picking specific macros yet, just maybe try adding some protein and fat into the breakfast -- instead of fruit juice, maybe some greek yogurt with berries, for example, or eggs if you like them. Both could be consumed WITH the cereal if you enjoy it, or instead of it.)

I'd suggest making fewer changes at first, though -- look at your old way of eating and pick out some higher cal things that could be cut back on. I cut things like the size of servings of starchy sides like potatoes and rice (or bread), added fat like cheese and olive oil (I didn't cut it out, but added less) and things I was eating between meals. Also, any calories in drinks is a good place to cut for lots of people.

Thanks for the welcome
  • lezelle123
    Options
    So do i just drink water... always? Coffee allowed at least once a day.. pushing at twice
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Any drink without calories is fine. Water, black coffee, hot or iced tea, diet soda/fizzy drink. All fine. I probably drink 5 cups of black coffee a day. Maybe not recommended, but no weight-loss effects.
  • wdedoelder
    wdedoelder Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    More protein! I had to go to a nutritionist in order to start losing weight. She have me a recipe list to follow. She had me eat 3 meals @300 calories and 2-3 snacks around 150 calories. She gave me the one recipe that helps with all of my sweet cravings. 3/4 cup vanilla/plain greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon Natural PB and a few dark chocolate chips. LOVE this and I do not feel hungry again for hours!
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    You need to find what works for you. Personally, I have found that a breakfast of eggs and bran cereal or overnight oats (with protein powder) is the most filling. Regular oatmeal or plain cereal or yogurt isn't filling.

I also find soup to be unfilling, unless I have a lot and it has protein. Chili, on the other hand keeps me very full.

Experiment with different foods, include carbs, fats, and proteins. You will find what foods are filling.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    More fiber and protein! Pure sugar/starch foods (juice, most cereal) will likely leave you feeling hungry for the same number of calories. Soup can be very filling if you make sure to add a lot of fiber-containing ingredients such as beans.
  • discodaddy61
    discodaddy61 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    im surprised that no one has mentioned to increase your water intake. hunger pangs are usually associated with dehydration not hunger. the average person needs to drink at least 3 quarts of water a day for normal function. when losing weight you should divide your body weight in half and then that is how many ounces you should drink in a day MINIMUM. more if exercising.
  • lezelle123
    Options
    im surprised that no one has mentioned to increase your water intake. hunger pangs are usually associated with dehydration not hunger. the average person needs to drink at least 3 quarts of water a day for normal function. when losing weight you should divide your body weight in half and then that is how many ounces you should drink in a day MINIMUM. more if exercising.
    This isn't necessary. She just has to eat enough, and drink enough.

So do i just drink water... always? Coffee allowed at least once a day.. pushing at twice
    Nothing is "allowed" or "forbidden"! The whole point with MFP (as I see it) is to do exactly as you want. You want to lose weight? Eat less. That's all you have to do. What you eat/drink, is up to you. Some foods and drinks will make it easier for you to eat less, other foods/drinks will make it harder. Exectly what will work for you, is impossible for others to know, but there are some common themes: Variety, balance, fat, protein, fiber. Some people have to have their daily chocolate. Others need to stay away from chocolate completely. You do NOT have to eat three meals and two snacks, you do NOT have to drink 2.87 litres of water, you do NOT have to have a Hershey's kiss after dinner, you do NOT have to cut out soda.

Thanks so much! Yeah im just doing it the way i want to. As long as im cutting out the calories MFP arw telling me to then i should loose weight. Thanks for your advice. Can i ask if you go by macros? I dont think i have to? Long as i cut calories right? X
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Cereal is not filling. Soup is mostly water. You have to have some calories in you to keep your furnace going. You'll figure it out.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    This isn't necessary. She just has to eat enough, and drink enough.

Nothing is "allowed" or "forbidden"! The whole point with MFP (as I see it) is to do exactly as you want. You want to lose weight? Eat less. That's all you have to do. What you eat/drink, is up to you. Some foods and drinks will make it easier for you to eat less, other foods/drinks will make it harder. Exectly what will work for you, is impossible for others to know, but there are some common themes: Variety, balance, fat, protein, fiber. Some people have to have their daily chocolate. Others need to stay away from chocolate completely. You do NOT have to eat three meals and two snacks, you do NOT have to drink 2.87 litres of water, you do NOT have to have a Hershey's kiss after dinner, you do NOT have to cut out soda.

Thanks so much! Yeah im just doing it the way i want to. As long as im cutting out the calories MFP arw telling me to then i should loose weight. Thanks for your advice. Can i ask if you go by macros? I dont think i have to? Long as i cut calories right? X
    I did track macros while losing weight this time. For me it was a way to let go of all the preconceptions I had, and stop worrying about "eating right"; I just had some simple numbers to hit. It was freeing - and I ended up eating better than ever, and lose weight, and keep it off. So it was effective. But it isn't necessary. If you eat a well balanced diet - you know, some fruit, some vegs, a potato now and then, some meat and fish and so on, stick to your calories (make sure you don't go under, not just not over) and don't fill up on junk (and most breakfast cereal is basically glorified junk) - you'll be doing fine.