20-Day Sugar Free Challenge - June

Options
Niki_Fitz
Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
edited May 2017 in Challenges
Hi all, some of us did this in May and there was interest for a June group, so here we go! Anyone want to challenge themselves to try cutting added sugars and artificial sweeteners out for the next 20 days?

Edit: I just saw there's a June group similar to ours - maybe we should combine instead.

Replies

• shaniks75
    shaniks75 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the new thread.
  • louandjas
    louandjas Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Is it ok just to stop sugar completely? I am literally addicted to it so am wondering if cold turkey would be ok. I know it sounds daft but I have it in tea all day long
  • robxavier77
    robxavier77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, I am up to the challenge. To the previous post, you might develop headaches which is a sign of sugar withdrawal. By the fourth day, the headaches should be gone. I tell my patient's this all the time.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    louandjas wrote: »
    Is it ok just to stop sugar completely? I am literally addicted to it so am wondering if cold turkey would be ok. I know it sounds daft but I have it in tea all day long

One of my issues has always been Pop/Soda and sugar candies like gummie bears, Fuzzy peaches. Essentially sugar overload to the max. 2 months ago i said enough is enough. I stopped over night and havent had any since. The first while I would crave for them, maybe 2 weeks or so. after that it went away and i feel so much better without them.

While having sugar in tea isnt as extreme as my case, Depending on how much sugar you are putting in the tea, you are essentially turning it into a can of pop without carbonation.

You can do it .. just dont give in to the cravings. find something that motivates you and use that in your dire moment of need ;)
  • sonrientalaura
    sonrientalaura Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am in! Trying to avoid all added sugar, not eg natural sugar in fruit..re the other group when I was searching for thia new one, I thought the other sugar free June group was for 2016?
  • Niki_Fitz
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @sonrientalaura great! So we're the current no sugar challenge!

@louandjas I agree about the headache withdrawal symptoms; those are what I've struggled with in the past, plus crankiness! It's hard but really worth it, in my opinion. Hi @robxavier77, glad you're in!

@Poisonedpawn78 thats awesome you kicked your habit.
  • shaniks75
    Options
    Hello everyone. How is everyone doing on day 1?
    I am doing good so far (just past 1pm here in New York) . Had a banana to get advance satisfaction before the sugar cravings hit. Will update again at the end of the day.
    Hope everyone is doing well.
  • Kerryatoon
    Kerryatoon Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I am a sugar addict. I'm already on day 9 of a no added sugar and no straight carbs (around 20 grams or less, LCHF) diet but would love to have support to continue through June! I have already been through the worst of the withdrawls so I can tell you it does pass.

Are you doing no artificial sweeteners too? That's the one thing I'm still doing a tiny bit of. I'm having about 2 splenda packets and one sugar-free popsicle/day.. but I'm down to let that go too for the 20-day challenge if that's what we're doing.

Woot let's crush some sugar!
  • Niki_Fitz
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @shaniks75 - So far so good! I just passed over some sweetened soy milk that's a treat in my coffee at work sometimes. I had lots of protein for breakfast and I just pretended my family's cereal did not exist. Raisin Bran is great fuel but just a small bowl leads to two big ones, and there go the calories I should be spending on protein!

@Kerryatoon - Hi! That's great you're past the worst of it! I've been pretty low on the added sugar so I hope this goes more smoothly than last month. I'm optimistic! We're avoiding artificial sweeteners but we're a supportive thread no matter what. That's great if you want to try kicking the habit; I gave up Stevia my cravings lessened even more and the taste of bland natural food improved for me. Although I sometimes have a little when I'm not in a challenge. Anyway hope the day goes really well for all!

• castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    louandjas wrote: »
    Is it ok just to stop sugar completely?

Absolutely. Your body does not require you to eat sugar to function--it'll make what it needs from the other foods you eat. You may not feel too good for a few days, as your body adjusts, but hang in there. You'll be glad you did.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Options
    @castlerobber - Well said!
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    @wellnesschaser thank you for the welcome and great job on passing up the cereal. I do that too... I kind of convince myself that my food is our food but some of my daughter's foods are only kid food. When I was that young, active, and growing I got away with it too... lol!

I think I'll try it.. I've been wondering what effect it has on my blood sugar and cravings anyway.. so as of today it's on. I hadn't even thought of it improving the taste of foods but I've already experienced how carbs lose their appeal after a break from them.

So I'm having my blackberry jasmine green tea without my usual Splenda and it's really good. BLT salad for lunch and it's a success!
  • shaniks75
    Options
    Good morning, everyone. Today is day 2 for me. Day one was OK. I did eat a banana and mango pieces (very sweet) to handle the cravings. But was able to successfully stay away from added sugar.
    I feel a headache coming on today. Maybe I should have a banana now, before it becomes full blown splitting headache?
    @wellnesschaser, great job avoiding the cereal. They are a weakness for me too.
    @Kerryatoon, I used to drink my tea with sugar/sweetener too. Then switched to a bit of honey. Yesterday and this morning, I avoided the honey as well, and it wasn't too bad.
  • marieschneider1097
    marieschneider1097 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    @wellnesschaser Yesterday's was my daughters graduation! I survived no wine and gave my cheesecakes to my son.
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    Good morning! Day 2 of the 20 day challenge and I didn't have any added sugar yesterday but somehow managed to consume 18g of sugar in my veggies. I kept total carbs at 36g so I was a bit higher in both than I like to be but I am happy with it. I still had artificial seeetener in my late night "sugar free" popsocle treat, am going to avoid adding any to beverages today and see how that goes. Hope everyone has a good day!!
  • Niki_Fitz
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @marieschneider1097 Congrats to your grad!! High school? Way to go, not serving wine.

I passed on a cocktail when we went out tonight to keep my blood sugar stable. Also, I feel like eating my calories today not drinking them! Anyway, a good sugarless Day 2, woo hoo.

@shaniks75 Sounds like you're staying ahead of cravings really well. @kerryatoon let us know how it goes!
  • Niki_Fitz
    edited June 2017
    Options
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    Accomplished! No added sugars, below 30 carbs and no artificial sweeteners today.
  • shaniks75
    Options
    Hope everyone's day weekend is going well..

@wellnesschaser, yes I'm trying to stay ahead of the cravings. But got a bad headache yesterday afternoon and had coffee with extra milk(for sugar :)) and motrin. Today seems better.
    @marieschneider1097 congratulations to your daughter on her graduation!! Great job on avoiding wine and cheesecake!
    @Kerryatoon awesome job yesterday.
  • boomboom_laji
    boomboom_laji Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone, I just recommitted to actually creating the healthy habits I need to do to lose weight. I know that cutting out added sugar and artificial sweetener is part of that. I seem to crave Coke Zero like nobodies business!
    Day with no sugar/sweetner: