June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @stoshew71 @MobyCarp Great insights from both of you! It has really been weird, the last 4 runs I've had have been trail. They have kicked my *kitten* pretty hard, but then, by the next day, I feel ready to go again, similar to how I feel at the same distance on the road, despite the trail run having a ton more elevation, and working more muscle groups...

Either way I'm loving it and, according to my trail buddy, I may be fully hooked into trail after I run Curnow in just under 3 weeks... I'm a bit skeptical, but I have truly enjoyed my trail runs.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I really need to find time to find a trail around here to run and test these theories :)
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday!

@midwesterner85 and @cburke8909 and @JessicaMcB , congratulations on finishing your HMs and to @katharmonic for the 5k!

@kgirlhart, woo hoo on getting the 5 mile PR. Great accomplishment.

@Sliedur, congratulations on besting the 20-minute run! Even though they're a bit more intimidating I actually find the continuous runs a bit easier than the stop/start runs. Once I stop, it's hard to get going again.

No running Saturday; opted for a bike ride instead at just under 18 miles so that was fun. Yesterday, I got in 4.21 miles (although I still had biking selected on my MapMyRun app so it looks like I did the slowest bike ride in history!) so for June I'm at 49.8 / 50. Ha. I think I can manage 0.2 miles between now and Friday! If I would've known that I would have just finished it off.

I'm going to try and get in a run later today since it's a bit cooler today and I really like after-work runs.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Dang. Strava claims I ran 4,334 feet of evaluation last week, and that is not even a personal best. Wonder what it is like to run on flat ground. Maybe I could catch @MobyCarp ! :smiley::lol: Probably not...
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Dang. Strava claims I ran 4,334 feet of evaluation last week, and that is not even a personal best. Wonder what it is like to run on flat ground. Maybe I could catch @MobyCarp ! :smiley::lol: Probably not...

If You're getting that type of elevation, all you need is some dirt and trees and you'll be trail running
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    June 26 – 4.0 miles Easy Run and 21DFX Power Strength Extreme

Total: 87.35 miles/100 miles

Well, with 2 extra rest days this month and a last minute trip to Jacksonville later this week, I probably won’t make my goal. I’ll be pretty darn close, but unless I can squeeze a quick 3 miles in before driving back from Jacksonville on Friday, I’m going to be about 3 miles short. All things considered, I’m still pretty proud of myself. Thanks for keeping me accountable!

Upcoming Race:

July 21 - St. Pete Beach Series, Race #2, 5K
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn welcome to the dark side, @PastorVincent get over here, the views are AWESOME!!!

• PastorVincent
    edited June 2017
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn welcome to the dark side, @PastorVincent get over here, the views are AWESOME!!!

@girlinahat there is one trail of a sort on one of my routes...

But it is like 1/4 mile long at best. Hardly counts I think :smiley:

• kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

If you need a walk break after a 1/4 mile, then that first 1/4 is way faster than "comfortable".
    Try running while holding a conversation out loud (or sing a song out loud if you're all by yourself). Don't worry about keeping an even pace at this point. Just see how many miles you can sustain running without walking. As you can get further in your miles at that conversational pace, then you can work on keeping an even pace.

@kimlight2 I agree with Stan. I can't help but wonder if some of your challenge is mental. Often I have to push myself through a rough patch, "come on, you've done this 10 time, you've done this 50 times, omg you've done this 1000 times" even if I hadn't, it helps. Also I think "if this was a race would you give up and walk? You gonna let everyone pass you? Hold steady, you got this".

I struggle with and always have, running training runs without walking. So I set my watch to allow a 0.1 mile walk IF I needed it. Races? I can run non stop. It's a crazy mental game for me.

@Stoshew71 - I did try singing while I was running Saturday, and boy was that a sight since I can't carry a tune. I will continue trying to use this to keep a slow enough pace.

@Elise4270 - I am sure most of it is mental. Each time I need to repeat something it seems to be harder then the first time I did it. Almost like I set a precedent and now I need to live up to it.

I am going to play with my watch and set pace alerts and see if that helps on Thursday. Tuesday I am doing a track/fartlek workout and I am setting a pace range for my repeats to hopefully help with this also and get "speed" work in there.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    Question, how do you prevent the irritated bleeding nipples? I have a psoriasis condition that makes me more susceptible to skin issues. So far on my training runs it's only been irritated but today there was definite stream of blood.

I use small round band aids. The band-aid brand don't work as well as the CVS brand, for me.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    June Challenge....goal is 60 miles

June 1.....8 miles
    June 14....6 miles
    June 19....6 miles
    June 21...8 miles: 14 minute miles, average heart rate at 90%.
    June 22....8 miles. 13:23 minute miles, average heart rate at 85%
    June 25....8 miles. 13 minute miles, average heart rate at 83%.

Total....44 miles

Not sure if I will make my goal this month...but definitely going to try.

My best 8 mile run this month by far. Mentally, I didn't want to do it. I decided that I could run 6 at least. The weather was super, 75 degrees, cool breezes. After the first 2 miles, I felt great and decided to run the 8 miles. I was able to stay in the zone for all but 20 minutes, and was running faster and still staying in the zone. My legs felt great, but started stiffening at the end of 7 miles. I ran a little faster to stretch them out.

Tomorrow I have to prep for my colonoscopy on Wednesday ( just a health screening). I dread the prep. My doctor wants me to eat a strict fiberless diet. I hope that I can stick to it. Bleh. On the diet, eggs, and white toast, potatoes with no skin and butter, and snacks are pretzels, I think, and yogurt with no fruit.

I may be short on my goal, but hope not...running out of time. I may be able to get a short run in tomorrow before my prep. 4 miles? We shall see.

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,021 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    June goal: 50 miles

6/1/17: 3.5 miles
    6/2/17: 1 mile
    6/4/17: 4.3 miles
    6/5/17: 2 miles
    6/6/17: 3.4 miles
    6/7/17: 2.4 miles
    6/8/17: 2.7 miles
    6/11/17: 4.4 miles
    6/12/17: 2.8 miles
    6/13/17: 2.5 miles
    6/14/17: 2.7 miles
    6/18/17: 4.2 miles
    6/19/17: 2.6 miles
    6/20/17: 2.6 miles
    6/21/17: 2.6 miles
    6/24/17: 5 miles
    6/25/17: 2.8 miles
    6/26/17: 2.4 miles

55.9/50 miles

It was so humid and sticky that my run today kinda sucked. But I did it any way. I do feel proud. The old me would have looked for any excuse not to exercise, but the new me just gets it done.

@sliedur Congrats on finishing Week 5, day 3!

exercise.png

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    No walking breaks needed, but I did stop once to re-tie my shoes. (Lately it seems that I always have to stop to re-tie shoes. I haven't seen other runners with this problem, but I'll take it over physical injury any day.)

@ereck44,

Here is a TOP SECURE TOTALLY NOT SHAREABLE SOLUTION TO YOUR PROBLEM :wink:

https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/secureknot.htm

Seriously, learn to tie your shoes using that method and your untie problems will be gone.

Thanks, I will practice that technique. Running is tough enough without having to deal with tripping over loose shoelaces.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Tomorrow I have to prep for my colonoscopy on Wednesday ( just a health screening). I dread the prep.

Oh, my. I had to do that a few years back.The prep is by far the worst part of it. Just move a laptop or tablet into your bathroom and camp out for a few hours. It will be easier.

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow I have to prep for my colonoscopy on Wednesday ( just a health screening). I dread the prep.

Oh, my. I had to do that a few years back.The prep is by far the worst part of it. Just move a laptop or tablet into your bathroom and camp out for a few hours. It will be easier.

I've had three colonoscopies and one sigmoidoscopy. Prep is the worst, I agree. At least you are sedated for the colonoscopy. You aren't for a sigmoidoscopy and it's pure torture.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    No whats the difference between "awesome" and "woo"? I'm so confused.