June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @BettyM1017 thanks. Waiting for the girl to get up to run today. Her running coach is showing her no mercy while we are here. She let her cross train all last week while she was in PA visiting her friend. Nothing like 77F with a feel like of 91 lol
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Sliedur wrote: »
    Day 3 week 5, they threw an unexpected challenge - run 20 minutes straight. I managed it and only thought I'd never make it every minute of the twenty haha. Challenge met, yay, so now I'll see how much further I get before the end of the month. Two mornings later and the upper legs are still a little sore from that 20 minute run, they'll just have to get used to that.
    Congrats on achieving that run! And don't worry, as time goes on, you'll just accept fatigued legs as the new norm, lol. Nah, just kidding...recovery time gets a lot better as overall running fitness improves.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Recommendation from several ultra runners. It's overkill for 50k and marathon, but they said thst I'd I want to go to 50 mile and further I'll be glad to have it. It had thr features I wanted too, so with the endorsement of folks with WAY more miles than me, I went for it. I still have to see how I like it's feel, so there's a chance that I won't like it when I get it, but it arrives wednesday and I'll test it out.

Yeah, I would want to find a big running store that carried these things and try them on at least before I got one. Still not sure I see myself running an ultra. Finding time to train at Marathon distances is hard enough.

I'd love to be able to get to a big running store to try more vests on....My problem is that the closest big running store is 220 miles away.... A bit far for an easy trip.... The 2 running stored I went to yesterday (120 mile round trip)..... I end up ordering 90% of my running gear online. Good news is that I've used Running Warehouse's return policy for similar reasons before, and they are pretty good.... plus, I didn't pay full price... 15% discount for being a UMTR member....

Ultra running is just a dream of mine, so I signed up for that 50k. My trail/ultra running friends tell me that it's totally different from road racing. They say that, despite the massive elevation and, of course, the distance, a trail 50k can be easier to recover from than a road marathon... Guess I'll find out in just under 4 months!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Ultra running is just a dream of mine, so I signed up for that 50k. My trail/ultra running friends tell me that it's totally different from road racing. They say that, despite the massive elevation and, of course, the distance, a trail 50k can be easier to recover from than a road marathon... Guess I'll find out in just under 4 months!

Assuming that is true, I wonder if that is because of the reduced speed vs road running. Also, you probably bring more muscle groups to play at once. I would not mind doing trail running, but not found any close by yet. New to town though so might still happen.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

Assuming that is true, I wonder if that is because of the reduced speed vs road running. Also, you probably bring more muscle groups to play at once. I would not mind doing trail running, but not found any close by yet. New to town though so might still happen.

That's what I was wondering... Of course, they are all 100k to 100 mmile runners... so their perspective is a bit different than us mere mortals...LOL...

However, I will admit that, even though they whoop me while running them, I feel pretty good the days following my trail runs, despite them being harder, physically, than road runs the same distance.... I have no empirical reason why though....
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    That's what I was wondering... Of course, they are all 100k to 100 mmile runners... so their perspective is a bit different than us mere mortals...LOL...

However, I will admit that, even though they whoop me while running them, I feel pretty good the days following my trail runs, despite them being harder, physically, than road runs the same distance.... I have no empirical reason why though....

The placebo effect is powerful. :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

The placebo effect is powerful. :)

Yup.....its psychological.....but.....theres always a but...... geek side of me wonders if running through heavy woods there's a higher 02 concentration.... or at least that's what I tell myself....lol.... That and less pounding than running on asphalt.
  • MrsKGrady
    MrsKGrady Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    June 1 - 2.25 miles
    June 3 - XT (Cardio, Strength, and Stretch classes at gym)
    June 4 - 2.45 miles
    June 6 - 2.3 miles
    June 7 - XT/Strength
    June 10 - 2.3 miles
    June 11 - 2.35 miles
    June 13 - 2.6 miles
    June 15 - 2.7 miles
    June 17 - 3.1 miles (Get Healthy Now 5k)
    June 20 - 2.7 miles
    June 24 - 3.1 miles (Cheetah Chase 5k)

exercise.png

exercise.png

• BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    @Sliedur

Great job pushing yourself! Don't you just love those moments when you find out you're stronger than you thought?!
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Today I set out to do 17k as test to see whether I could do my HM in two weeks time. I managed it although the last 3k were a struggle - just had to turn my music up and focus on keeping my cadence up. With the crowds/adrenaline on the day I should be able to do the extra few km, even if I've nowhere near the form I had for my first HM a few months ago!

exercise.png

11-June: 6.50km easy
    13-June: 5.18km steady
    14-June: 4.59k *slow* + 3.18k easy
    15-June 7.94k easy
    16-June: 3.67k tempo
    17-June: 1.34k short
    18-June: 1.84k short
    19-June: 16.03k easy (as 3.04 + 3.56 + 3.55 + 4.51 + 2.34k runs with intermediate walking breaks of 5-15minutes)
    20-June: 5.31k tempo
    21-June: 5.92k easy
    26-June: 17.08k long run

Upcoming Races:
    9-July: Southend HM
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    6/1 = Gym day; 3 miles on the treadmill and 40 minutes of strength training
    6/2 = 6 miles
    6/3 = 6 miles & strength training
    6/4 = 13.9 miles (run/walk)
    6/5 = 8.1 miles & strength training
    6/6 = rest day
    6/7 = 8 miles (with 6 - 5 minute speed intervals)
    6/8 = 5.5 miles
    6/9 = 6 miles
    6/10 = Hatha yoga class
    6/11 = 10 miles (run/walk)
    6/12 = 4 miles & strength training
    6/13 = Vinyasa yoga class
    6/14 = 7.5 miles
    6/15 = 5.5 miles
    6/16 = 6 miles & strength training
    6/17 = 3 miles (5k race so technically 3.2 - rounding down)
    6/18 = 13 miles
    6/19 = 5 miles & strength training
    6/20 = Vinyasa yoga class
    6/21 = 8 miles (with 6 - 5 minute speed intervals)
    6/22 = 5.5 miles & kettlebell workout
    6/23 = 8.5 miles
    6/24 = rest day
    6/25 = 14 miles (run/walk)
    6/26 = Gym day; 3 miles treadmill and 45 minute strength training

(June miles to date) 149.5/150 (June goal miles)

Upcoming 2017 Races:
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    11/23 = Georgetown Turkey Trot
    12/10 = BCS Half Marathon

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

kimlight2 wrote: »
    I started using my Garmin Forerunner 15 to keep an eye on my pace and try to keep it more consistent. Once I warmed up I noticed by pace varied from 13:30 to 10:30 per mile. A comfortable pace for me is about a 12:30 minute mile but I know it is to fast and can't keep it up for more then a quarter mile before I need a walk break. My question is what is the best way to work on keeping a consistent pace? I can hold a 13:30 minute/mile for more then a mile without needing a break I just can't lock in that pace and hold it without being on a treadmill and having no choice. How do I fix this?

If you need a walk break after a 1/4 mile, then that first 1/4 is way faster than "comfortable".
    Try running while holding a conversation out loud (or sing a song out loud if you're all by yourself). Don't worry about keeping an even pace at this point. Just see how many miles you can sustain running without walking. As you can get further in your miles at that conversational pace, then you can work on keeping an even pace.
  • SpiritHippo
    SpiritHippo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    angmarie28 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent I thought about that, but I don't know, I like radio shows, haha. I also like learning and things that make me think, so podcasts are great

I'm with you. I enjoy audio books during certain activities like cleaning, but for entertainment I prefer other options. SoundCloud has a lot of podcasts and it is free. Audible has a free trial with some awesome podcasts. NPR has a lot of good podcasts too, but the NPR One app doesn't work on my phone so I always have to stream it. Here are some podcasts I listened to recently which were entertaining: Hot Mic with Dan Savage, Reply All, Crimetown, Pop Culture Happy Hour, and Genius Series (on Audible featured channels). I've listened to many others but have gotten away from them. I used to like the Last Podcast on the Left but sometimes that can be too scary or disturbing depending on which true story they are reviewing, and Criminal (which is also great) is another one that I stopped listening too for a while because I need a break from serious/ sad stories. I assume you have already listened to Serial, and if not you should. If you like trivia or just fun conversation, you can try There's No Such Thing as a Fish. Gimlet media has a ton of good podcasts as well.
  • Don_WM_
    Don_WM_ Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    Congrats on achieving that run! And don't worry, as time goes on, you'll just accept fatigued legs as the new norm, lol. Nah, just kidding...recovery time gets a lot better as overall running fitness improves.
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    @Sliedur

Great job pushing yourself! Don't you just love those moments when you find out you're stronger than you thought?!

Thanks! Yes, it's really satisfying to be able to do something you didn't think you could. I started running with the intention of building stamina for my karate - but I find I'm enjoying running and it looks like it will turn into a beast of it's own. :smile:
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    @Sliedur Week 5 Day 3 is a beast. I remember feeling completely intimidated by it. Congratulations on getting through the 20 minutes! Now it's nowhere to go but up. :smile:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn @PastorVincent I am by no means a trail runner. My observations however... Road running involves a lot of impact forces from every time your foot lands on the pavement over and over again. You're also vulnerable to repeated similar movements which wear down those muscles faster which are involved.

Trail running, the landing is much more cushioned on ground verses pavement. TR however requires you to have greater effort on the push-off. So it's a different kind of harder. TR however requires you to have quicker feet and shorter steps to maneuver around very technical surfaces. Quite a bit different if you regularly over stride. Since you are constantly adjusting to the surface, you're constantly using different muscles so you're not physically focused on just certain muscle groups. Each step is like a different run to your body. So you will get a more full body workout as opposed to tiring certain muscle groups. Just my observations.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn @PastorVincent I am by no means a trail runner. My observations however... Road running involves a lot of impact forces from every time your foot lands on the pavement over and over again. You're also vulnerable to repeated similar movements which wear down those muscles faster which are involved.

Trail running, the landing is much more cushioned on ground verses pavement. TR however requires you to have greater effort on the push-off. So it's a different kind of harder. TR however requires you to have quicker feet and shorter steps to maneuver around very technical surfaces. Quite a bit different if you regularly over stride. Since you are constantly adjusting to the surface, you're constantly using different muscles so you're not physically focused on just certain muscle groups. Each step is like a different run to your body. So you will get a more full body workout as opposed to tiring certain muscle groups. Just my observations.

Like @Stoshew71 I am not much of a trail runner. My friends who do trails say the same thing Stan says, and also cite the slower pace as easier to recover from. I've spent some time thinking about this. It's a lot easier to recover from a 22 mile run at easy pace than from running a road marathon for time. This doesn't have so much to do with cardio effect as with how much my legs, ankles, and feet take a beating in 26 miles of roads striving for a good finish time. To a certain extent, ultra running and trail running enforce a slower pace, which beats on the legs and feet less.

Anyway, that's my theory. But races longer than 26.2 miles still intimidate me. I'd have to learn quite a bit to attempt one.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    kimlight2 wrote: »
    I started using my Garmin Forerunner 15 to keep an eye on my pace and try to keep it more consistent. Once I warmed up I noticed by pace varied from 13:30 to 10:30 per mile. A comfortable pace for me is about a 12:30 minute mile but I know it is to fast and can't keep it up for more then a quarter mile before I need a walk break. My question is what is the best way to work on keeping a consistent pace? I can hold a 13:30 minute/mile for more then a mile without needing a break I just can't lock in that pace and hold it without being on a treadmill and having no choice. How do I fix this?

If you need a walk break after a 1/4 mile, then that first 1/4 is way faster than "comfortable".
    Try running while holding a conversation out loud (or sing a song out loud if you're all by yourself). Don't worry about keeping an even pace at this point. Just see how many miles you can sustain running without walking. As you can get further in your miles at that conversational pace, then you can work on keeping an even pace.

@kimlight2 I agree with Stan. I can't help but wonder if some of your challenge is mental. Often I have to push myself through a rough patch, "come on, you've done this 10 time, you've done this 50 times, omg you've done this 1000 times" even if I hadn't, it helps. Also I think "if this was a race would you give up and walk? You gonna let everyone pass you? Hold steady, you got this".

I struggle with and always have, running training runs without walking. So I set my watch to allow a 0.1 mile walk IF I needed it. Races? I can run non stop. It's a crazy mental game for me.