I walked three miles (7500 steps) and Fitbit/MFP only gave me a 40 calorie adjustment?? What gives?

Options
Title pretty much says it all. I decided I should get some exercise in today so my friend and I walked all over town, about three miles in total. Now I'm not super used to being that active and I feel really hungry but MFP only gave me a 40 calorie adjustment for my walk. I swear a few months ago when I was tracking I would get roughly 100 calories per 2,000 steps, and from what I've read this sounds accurate. What gives? Has something changed in the way they calculate the adjustment? I looked it up and I can't seem to find any answers. Maybe I'm just very wrong about everything, I don't know but I'm really disappointed, if I only get 40 calories for that then I'm over my calories by a few hundred already.

Replies

• vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    What is your daily goal according to mfp? Since mine is higher with more weight to lose (so 1800) I don't factor in exercise. I plan my meals out to keep me satiated and under goal, but don't beat myself up on the occasional slip. Now, if you're closer to goal and shorter, mfp may have you at a lower goal which means you've got a few options. Find a better way to keep yourself feeling full longer at 1200-1300 or exercise and eat some more to compensate for the burn. I'm surprised though, usually calorie burn from exercise is a bit ...lofty. 40 for 4 miles seems a bit low...
  • allison_gets_healthy91
    Options
    MFP is giving me 1560 calories to eat a day which I thought was a bit high, but also I'm up to 244 lbs which is bigger than I've been so I figured that was why. But when I switch it to sedentary it changes my calorie goal to 1290 per day. So I assume I guess that's accurate, 1560 - 1290 = 270 + 40 = 310 which is more like what I would've guessed.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    That's usually when I start getting activity cals... about the 7k mark. I'm also set to lightly active since I walk all over the place despite my desk job.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    MFP is giving me 1560 calories to eat a day which I thought was a bit high, but also I'm up to 244 lbs which is bigger than I've been so I figured that was why. But when I switch it to sedentary it changes my calorie goal to 1290 per day. So I assume I guess that's accurate, 1560 - 1290 = 270 + 40 = 310 which is more like what I would've guessed.

If that is your normal activity, then it would make sense to set your level to lightly active, start with more and get the small bump. However, I hated seeing the negative numbers on lazy days so I'm set to sedentary and get a decent sized bump when I'm active. In the end it all works out the same, but I just like being given calories instead of losing them,.

My thoughts exactly! :+1:

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

At 244 pounds, 1560 is certainly not high if you get any amount of physical activity!

You need to realize that your default activity level corresponds to an approximate number of steps and that you'll only get the ~100 cals per 2,000 steps *after* that number of steps is passed. At sedentary, you only got credit for steps over and above 2,000-3,000ish. At lightly active, you'll only get credit for steps over and above 6,000-8,000ish.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You might want to adjust your stride on Fitbit... 3 miles is usually 2000 steps... unless you're very short?
  • Loug1983
    Loug1983 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You might want to adjust your stride on Fitbit... 3 miles is usually 2000 steps... unless you're very short?

That doesn't sound right, my 0.9 mile walk to work is approximately 2000 steps, I'm short, but I'm not that short...
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Loug1983 wrote: »

That doesn't sound right, my 0.9 mile walk to work is approximately 2000 steps, I'm short, but I'm not that short...

same and I'm 5'6"
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

No. 2,000 steps is about 1 mile. There's some variability due to height, but not enough to make anyone walk 3 miles in 2,000 steps! My husband is over 6 feet tall and he gets 1 km for 1,000 steps - so, 1600 steps for 1 mile or 4800 steps for 3 miles.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

No. 2,000 steps is about 1 mile. There's some variability due to height, but not enough to make anyone walk 3 miles in 2,000 steps! My husband is over 6 feet tall and he gets 1 km for 1,000 steps - so, 1600 steps for 1 mile or 4800 steps for 3 miles.

Just chiming in to agree 2000 steps is approx. 1 mile... 5'11ish here
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    10k steps for me is approx 4.8 miles.

5k steps is approx 2.4 miles.

So 2k steps would be around 1 mile. I'm 5 7

Anyway steps are moot. Get a Fitbit and monitor your pace. An intense mile is a better workout than a slow, ambling 5-7k step walk.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

3 miles for me is 6000 steps - 2k steps per mile. To do 3 miles in 2000 steps...that's not right.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Muana1005 wrote: »
    10k steps for me is approx 4.8 miles.

5k steps is approx 2.4 miles.

So 2k steps would be around 1 mile. I'm 5 7

Anyway steps are moot. Get a Fitbit and monitor your pace. An intense mile is a better workout than a slow, ambling 5-7k step walk.

Uh, NO. It might be moderately better than a 3000 step walk, but it's certainly not better than a 3 mile walk.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

You are saying that a 1 mile brisk walk is better than covering 3 miles at a slower pace? I completely disagree with that.
  • stanmann571
    Options

You are saying that a 1 mile brisk walk is better than covering 3 miles at a slower pace? I completely disagree with that.

I believe the claim was that running a mile was better than walking 3 miles...

Let's run the numbers... for me 237 lb man 5'11.

Run 1 Mile-- 179 Calories
    Brisk walk 1 Mile--146 Calories
    Leisurely 3 miles--354 calories