I walked three miles (7500 steps) and Fitbit/MFP only gave me a 40 calorie adjustment?? What gives?

Options

Replies

• gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Muana1005 wrote: »
    Anyway steps are moot. Get a Fitbit and monitor your pace. An intense mile is a better workout than a slow, ambling 5-7k step walk.

You are saying that a 1 mile brisk walk is better than covering 3 miles at a slower pace? I completely disagree with that.

I believe the claim was that running a mile was better than walking 3 miles...

Let's run the numbers... for me 237 lb man 5'11.

Run 1 Mile-- 179 Calories
    Brisk walk 1 Mile--146 Calories
    Leisurely 3 miles--354 calories

And this is why I walk.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You might want to adjust your stride on Fitbit... 3 miles is usually 2000 steps... unless you're very short?

No. 2,000 steps is about 1 mile. There's some variability due to height, but not enough to make anyone walk 3 miles in 2,000 steps! My husband is over 6 feet tall and he gets 1 km for 1,000 steps - so, 1600 steps for 1 mile or 4800 steps for 3 miles.

Yes. Doh. 1 mile. I'm not sure why I typed 3. Need more coffee. Either way, I just meant that 7800 steps seems a lot for 3 miles, unless OP is short.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Anyway steps are moot. Get a Fitbit and monitor your pace. An intense mile is a better workout than a slow, ambling 5-7k step walk.
    You are saying that a 1 mile brisk walk is better than covering 3 miles at a slower pace? I completely disagree with that.

Sure but the claim was that it's "a better workout" not "burns more calories." Running a mile involves a lot more cardio-respitory stress than slowly walking three, that's beyond debate. Of course, that has nothing to do with the question this thread was about.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    MFP expects you to burn a certain # of calories per day base on your size/height/age/gender and activity level.
    Fitbit estimates your burn based on those stats and your actual movement.

If Fitbit shows your burn is higher than what MFP expected, you earn extra calories. If you choose a higher activity level in MFP, then MFP expects you to burn more calories thus it takes more effort to earn additional.

Example with numbers:

At sedentary MFP expects me to burn about 1500/day. If Fitbit says I burned 1950, it would be a +450 adjustment. I'm at maintenance, so I need to eat around 1950.

At lightly active, MFP expects me to burn about 1750/day. If Fitbit says I burned 1950, it would be a +200 adjustment. Again, I need to eat around 1950.

Higher activity level means you start with a higher goal. But the end result is still the same.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Sure but the claim was that it's "a better workout" not "burns more calories." Running a mile involves a lot more cardio-respitory stress than slowly walking three, that's beyond debate. Of course, that has nothing to do with the question this thread was about.

There's almost no metric under which an 8-10 minute workout is better than a 35-45 minute workout... especially if both workouts increase heartrate for the duration of the workout.

So no, it's not "beyond debate.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    MFP is giving me 1560 calories to eat a day which I thought was a bit high, but also I'm up to 244 lbs which is bigger than I've been so I figured that was why. But when I switch it to sedentary it changes my calorie goal to 1290 per day. So I assume I guess that's accurate, 1560 - 1290 = 270 + 40 = 310 which is more like what I would've guessed.

Your 244lb and sedentary only gives you 1290?

Im 5ft 2 and 244lb with a weekly weightloss goal of 2lb, set to sedentary and mfp and fitbit both give me 1770 a day
    Im then given a few hundred in exercise cals
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

There's almost no metric under which an 8-10 minute workout is better than a 35-45 minute workout... especially if both workouts increase heartrate for the duration of the workout.

So no, it's not "beyond debate.

Running a mile is absolutely a better cardiovascular workout than walking three and one metric that shows as much is EPOC which Firstbeat's software calculates. Another metric is "Aerobic Training Effect." I could go on but there's really no point.

Did you just type all that with a straight face? :smiley:
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    MFP is giving me 1560 calories to eat a day which I thought was a bit high, but also I'm up to 244 lbs which is bigger than I've been so I figured that was why. But when I switch it to sedentary it changes my calorie goal to 1290 per day. So I assume I guess that's accurate, 1560 - 1290 = 270 + 40 = 310 which is more like what I would've guessed.

Im 5ft 2 and 244lb with a weekly weightloss goal of 2lb, set to sedentary and mfp and fitbit both give me 1770 a day

I am 5'7" and 230 and if I try for 2lbs per week I get 1330 for sedentary. I never got as many as you even when over 280 lbs. I am kind of old though, over 50. I do get extra from walking though via fitbit and mfp
  • ruqayyahsmum
    Options
    KWlosingit wrote: »

I am 5'7" and 230 and if I try for 2lbs per week I get 1330 for sedentary. I never got as many as you even when over 280 lbs. I am kind of old though, over 50. I do get extra from walking though via fitbit and mfp

Odd
    I lose my 2lb average thou so ill stick with it i guess and be thankful i still have wiggle room when i get to the last 10lb
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You might want to adjust your stride on Fitbit... 3 miles is usually 2000 steps... unless you're very short?

One mile is typically between 2000 and 2500 depending on your stride. 7500 for 3 miles sounds about right. I have a long stride so I usually get a mile at about 2100 steps.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

And this is why I walk.

OTOH..
    Run 1 mile - 10 minutes
    Leisurely walk 3 miles - 1 hour
  • ruqayyahsmum
    Options

My gosh how big is your stride?

Ive done a smidge over 10,000 steps so far today and it works out at 3.5 mile
    Im only 5ft 2 with a joint condition so my stride is shorter than average
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to think there is a Fitbit/MFP sync issue. This happened to me last Monday 11K steps for 87 calories,Tuesday I did the same 12K steps for 297 calories. All steps were earned just walking around during day to day tasks, same activity setting both days (lightly active). Monday I was off work, Tuesday I was at work (desk job). There has to be a technical issue of their many people are experiencing the same thing.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

And this is why I walk.

OTOH..
    Run 1 mile - 10 minutes
    Leisurely walk 3 miles - 1 hour

You're not including the time to shower and change clothes after the run. :smile:
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

One mile is typically between 2000 and 2500 depending on your stride. 7500 for 3 miles sounds about right. I have a long stride so I usually get a mile at about 2100 steps.

I guess I must have a very long stride because it only takes me about 1700 steps to walk a mile and I'm only 5'6".
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

"A better workout" is completely subjective. To one person, a "better workout" means burning more calories, To another, it might mean greater cardio benefit. And if someone has hip or knee issues, running is out of the question. I am a runner, and I do like the cardio aspect. But if I have the choice to fit in a 1-mile run, OR a 3 mile walk, I am going to walk, because it burns more calories.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I guess I must have a very long stride because it only takes me about 1700 steps to walk a mile and I'm only 5'6".

Probably should measure your stride and change the setting.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    [1] As far as fitting a workout into a specified time period, a 3 mile walk would be better compared to a 6 mile run (if you don't need to be polished afterward, or..).

[2] ..and who needs a shower after a piddly 10 minute run? Maybe make that a 4.5 mile run allowing15 minutes to change and blot makeup.

[3] If people are getting the steps and "miles walked" values from a step tracker they've been wearing all day, than the step number will (obviously) include every time they moved their arm along with any pacing/small steps (not just full walking strides). FYI- my walking stride is ~0.8-0.85 m (so ~1900-2000 steps/mile), my running stride is ~1.05 m.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm about to go for a walk and will be testing how many steps i do in a mile (1.6kms), I'm 5"8. I'm curious how it will compare to you guys, and other women my height.