I feel ashamed!!

Options
Lady_lose
Lady_lose Posts: 9 Member
I took my starting pic this past Monday and I can't believe what my body looks like.. how could I allow this to happen.. I'm an emotional eater and that is why I look pregnant but had my last baby 6 years ago! Starting is the hardest part .. I hope I have the strength to do this! I need help

Replies

• blondie_hammer
    blondie_hammer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can do this!!Stay positive. I need help and motivation too!
  • Michelle_GettingFit
    Michelle_GettingFit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Keep positive, stay motivated, and take it one day at a time. You got this girl!
  • enchantingspree
    enchantingspree Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You can do it... I know how you feel... I feel the same way... We can do it...
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Of course you can do it. A little patience, self love, preparation/planning, and less food :)
  • Spirit_Goose
    Spirit_Goose Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind: if other people can do it, so can you. You're just as good as the next guy, right?
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Log everything, every day. Even if you have a bad day. We all have days when we are indulgent, just make sure its not every day. And one bad day is not a reason to give up, its a reason to try harder for the rest of the week. DO buy a food scale though, and weigh everything. And don't waste calories on things you don't like or just to be polite - like if a co-worker is offering round cakes for example. If they are really yummy and will fit into your calories for the day, fine. But if they are just standard packaged sweet things that don't really taste good, then leave them!
  • iamunicoon
    iamunicoon Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Hey, you already took the first step and it's super super hard, taking the before-pic, facing reality. That's awesome, it means you're starting to really see your body and situation as what it is and work with that.

As for sticking with it, I've failed before and it always seemed huge to me. This time around, it seems so much easier and I find that is because I've stopped thinking of it as trying and failing. It's a journey with good days and bad days, smart decisions and mistakes. The key is to move on and not let setbacks discourage you. If today was a bad day, look forward to a better one tomorrow.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You absolutely can do this. Remember this:

Hard work (being strict with your logging, and exercise) will absolutely pay off! And if you have a bad day don't feel like you've let yourself down. Just draw a line under it and start again the next day. We all have bad days, and how we deal with those is what makes the difference.
  • Laurasmartyone
    Laurasmartyone Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    just like many people here have said - small sustainable changes are the way forward. if you rapidly try to change everything overnight it could become overwhelming. you didn't put the weight on overnight so don't expect to lose it overnight! be consistent!
  • Thommo52
    Thommo52 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It took a while to get where you are and it will take a while to get where you want to be. Hard work and focus. Wish you well! :)
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Some recent photos of me were real eye openers, too. The silver lining there is that you can take a progress photo in a month or two and maybe the difference might not be dramatic, but you might see that your body has changed. That could motivate you to keep logging your food and exercise. Stay with it!
  • Going2Getthere22
    Going2Getthere22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree - Starting is the hardest part, or really deciding that you will not quit is perhaps even harder. Its so easy to throw in the towel after feeling defeated. But just keep on trying, eventually it will stick! You are stronger than you think, and that goal of yours is definitely attainable! :)
  • annabel92
    annabel92 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Starting out is hard, but once you start seeing a difference it becomes easier to stay motivated! Good luck! :)
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Those starting pics are tough, but for me it gives me motivation. It makes me try harder to get away from that person and when I hit that goal it makes me feel amazing for doing something so amazing for myself. Don't look at it as a bad thing. Instead, use it as fuel!
  • cecekay19
    cecekay19 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Accept yourself where you are, but don't accept that that is where you will always be. You need a plan, and hopefully you can find someone else with whom you can train, to help motivate you (both of you).

Changing your diet is like 70% of weight loss. You will need to plan out your meals. Learn what the calorie count is for what you eat, and learn the portion sizes. There are some handy quick visual guides to portion sizes on the Internet so that when you are eating out you don't overeat. Google portion sizes in the image search and you'll see pictures of hands that show how much common portions are.

Take it easy with exercise and build up at a pace that works for you. Walking may be the easiest way to start. Use a tracker or MapMyFitness/MapMyRun and walk around your neighborhood for a mile and half or two miles (approx 30 minutes). For me, I started by swimming to shed the first couple of centimeters/pounds. I didn't freestyle, I have a particular kind of backstroke that looks like a frog in the water but it's like doing jumping jacks with resistance, so I got a full body workout. Do what works for you!

Strength training is where the biggest boost comes, so don't ignore that. There are plenty of body weight exercises you can do to build strength and muscle, no gym or weights required. There are more than a few helpful apps like Sworkit, Nike+ Training Club or Daily Workout Apps that can help you get started. Again, do what works for you and don't kill yourself to get started. A few minutes a day works. There are plenty of different short workouts you can do to help you get moving. I use Pinterest to save them, and sometimes will refer to them instead of using the apps.

I encourage you to do a variety of exercises, so that you don't get bored. My friend and I swim, cycle, and do strength training together and we mix things up all the time. You've made a great step to start taking better care of yourself. Don't kick yourself, love yourself, and get to work. :smile: