I feel ashamed!!

Options
2»

Replies

• 1musicgrl
    1musicgrl Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You can do this. If I can, anybody can. I had the most miserable awful unhealthy lifestyle and with lots and lots of HARD work, and times I fell down and had to get back up again, I've made a lot of progress. It's possible! It takes so much hard work but you have it in you to do this! Definitely make a sustainable plan, and don't beat yourself up when you feel like you've fallen down. Ask yourself, "Why did I eat like this? What was I trying to comfort? What could I go to instead of food to meet this need?" Like I said, you can do it! I'm cheering for you. Feel free to friend me and I'll give you support! Blessings.
  • slowedown
    slowedown Posts: 13 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    We are all in this together. You can do it 1 day at a time. I agree with Beanz744's list. It was great! But #8 is a must. It is like everyone starts trying to sabotage you. I thought it was all in my head but after reading that I feel vindicated. I have found that reading success stories or watching them on youtube.com has helped me stay focused.
  • Kerryatoon
    Kerryatoon Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I thought I was an emotional eater too... it turned out I am a sugar addict. When I'm consuming foods with added sugars or other high carb foods like flour, rice and potatoes I get onto this merry go round of blood sugar spikes and drops that causes me to eat when I'm not really hungry. I don't know if I process sugars differently or if it is because I have overcome other addictions in the past and therefore have some aspect of addictive personality but it doesn't really matter why. What matters is that when I eat added sugars or high carb foods it sets in motion a cycle of craving, obsession, and over-eating that is very hard to change with "will-power" alone. When I am focused on my macros and eating a LCHF diet, I feel better, I am never "HUNGRY" and my body sheds the pounds. It's working for me and was a real eye-opener. Many good suggestions above about food scales, logging, learning about healthy lifestyles, exercise, and self-acceptance. Just adding the sugar concept as it has turned out to be the missing piece for me. Feel free to add me if you want to see my food diary. :smile:

"You can be pitiful, or powerful, but you can't be both." ~Joyce Meyer
  • TashaFat2Fit
    TashaFat2Fit Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lady_lose wrote: »
    I took my starting pic this past Monday and I can't believe what my body looks like.. how could I allow this to happen.. I'm an emotional eater and that is why I look pregnant but had my last baby 6 years ago! Starting is the hardest part .. I hope I have the strength to do this! I need help

Don't!! My before pictures are really scary too. Imagine how great you will feel when you start to see your body change! Doing simple things like lacing your shoes, walking up the stairs, picking up your kids clothes and toys from the floor will be so much easier
  • katie2400
    katie2400 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Progress pics are great down the road when you need to see the tiny changes that help keep you motivated. when you first take them though it can be hard! You can do this! I really believe positive self talk is an amazing thing! You can and you will do this! Get a supportive group of friends on here, it really helps!
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    General thoughts:

1. Food Scale - there's a reason it's at the top of this list.
    2. Calorie Deficit - bigger deficit is not necessarily better; and faster weight loss than recommend is almost definitely not better because of the health risks that go along with it. But you must create a deficit.
    3. Starting your calorie deficit - go with something small and manageable first. Celebrate the success of getting your intake under control before you see anything on the (lying) scale.
    4. Understand your weight will fluctuate during this process - guaranteed. Just like it has all of your life in whatever process you are in; you'll probably notice it more while you're trying to make the number go down. There's not a thing you can do about it, so learn to accept that your weight will not go down in a linear fashion. And your weight is a range - not a number.
    5. Fluid retention, caused by a variety of things is not your enemy; it's just what the body does for various reasons - many of them very good reasons. (see #4)
    6. Understand that the real goal is not necessarily weight loss, it's fat loss. (see #4).
    7. Patience is a virtue for a really good reason while you do this. (see #4). Don't make decisions based on a short time line. Fluid fluctuations will drive you crazy. Don't make decisions when you're crazy. B) Make your decisions based on data. If you are losing even 2 pounds per week, fluid fluctuations can mask progress. You need 4-6 weeks at a time to have anything close to decent data.
    8. Exercise - You do not need to exercise to lose weight. You should exercise to become more fit so that you can do more stuff. 80% of your weight battle is in the kitchen. Too much exercise, however, is counter productive.
    9. You are not going on a diet. You are changing your eating and activity habits. Commit to those before committing to any number on a scale.
    10. Celebrate every victory.
    11. Get up every time you fall down. Enjoy life - going over your goal once in a great while won't be a defeat.
    12. Celebrate every time you get up after you fall down.
    13. You are more than your body. Don't neglect the other areas - celebrate those too.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Kerryatoon wrote: »
    I thought I was an emotional eater too... it turned out I am a sugar addict. When I'm consuming foods with added sugars or other high carb foods like flour, rice and potatoes I get onto this merry go round of blood sugar spikes and drops that causes me to eat when I'm not really hungry. I don't know if I process sugars differently or if it is because I have overcome other addictions in the past and therefore have some aspect of addictive personality but it doesn't really matter why. What matters is that when I eat added sugars or high carb foods it sets in motion a cycle of craving, obsession, and over-eating that is very hard to change with "will-power" alone. When I am focused on my macros and eating a LCHF diet, I feel better, I am never "HUNGRY" and my body sheds the pounds. It's working for me and was a real eye-opener. Many good suggestions above about food scales, logging, learning about healthy lifestyles, exercise, and self-acceptance. Just adding the sugar concept as it has turned out to be the missing piece for me. Feel free to add me if you want to see my food diary. :smile:

"You can be pitiful, or powerful, but you can't be both." ~Joyce Meyer

A Joyce Meyer quote. Awesome. I used to watch her every single day!
  • DSMcCullough
    DSMcCullough Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow you are me exactly! I was literally just about to start my own post but decided to read yours first. 6 years since I had my first kid, weighed 110 and now 2 kids later I weigh 200lbs DX I look pregnant still! I try to encourage myself by looking at old photos of myself. I want that bod back!
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Wow you are me exactly! I was literally just about to start my own post but decided to read yours first. 6 years since I had my first kid, weighed 110 and now 2 kids later I weigh 200lbs DX I look pregnant still! I try to encourage myself by looking at old photos of myself. I want that bod back!

You and the OP can definitely do it! just dont get discouraged and celebrate every little victory to encourage yourself.
  • Quedangen
    Quedangen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can do this, i've had the same difficulty of starting, i've always been in shape cause i grew up as an active kid, till I started college.. my body image went downhill as the scale went uphill XD but this is how i got back to grindin..

Just start. Just get out of the house and be active, a gym isn't necessary but it helps so much with weight loss, and you mentioned thag you have a 6yr old, do smth active together outside :) go play sports or smth

Set a goal. A goal can be whatever, my goal is simply to impress my girlfriend :P and it helps me stay motivated and hungry to keep grindin.

Fix your diet. This is probably the hardest thing to do and many struggle.. I simply just eat clean, i dont focus of macros and stuff, i simply stopped eating junk food and balanced my meat and veggies, and i do "intermittent fasting" look it up XD

I'm not a personal training or anything, but this what i did and i'm gonna stick with it for as long as i can, nothing wrong with experimenting different types of diets, and remember to take small steps till you get comfortable with it and it becomes your lifestyle.

Sorry for the long reply :P i just wanted to share with you my experience :)