Women getting into the weight room

Options
Hi everybody! I've had this account for awhile but I never have used it consistently, but I'm now super motivated to get on track with my diet and start a new workout plan. I have always been a huge cardio junkie and done circuit/bodyweight training here and there along with some weights but i have never had an official "split". I'm currently 5'0 and about 120 lbs and wish to lose around 15 pounds of fat (not too concerned with actual weight but want to lose fat and gain some muscle). Should I eat in a 500 cal deficit? Also any good splits to get started in the weight room? I want to workout 6 days a week!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    A 250 calorie deficit will be better since you don't have much to lose. And no splits...full body is a better option for beginners. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    By the title I thought you were going to be a man complaining about women in the weights room.

That would not have ended well :D
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    emily23dw wrote: »
    Hi everybody! I've had this account for awhile but I never have used it consistently, but I'm now super motivated to get on track with my diet and start a new workout plan. I have always been a huge cardio junkie and done circuit/bodyweight training here and there along with some weights but i have never had an official "split". I'm currently 5'0 and about 120 lbs and wish to lose around 15 pounds of fat (not too concerned with actual weight but want to lose fat and gain some muscle). Should I eat in a 500 cal deficit? Also any good splits to get started in the weight room? I want to workout 6 days a week!

If you are new to lifting, it would be more ideal to start with a 3day full body and then utilize the other days for cardio type activities.

Your deficit should probably be around 250-500 calories; protein around 100g/day.
  • kiara1066
    kiara1066 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You're at a healthy weight why eat at a deficit? If you want to reduce body fat I would recommend trying body recomposition. It involves you eating at maintenance and working on losing body fat and trying to have a more toned figure. Your strength training routine is vital as well.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    kiara1066 wrote: »
    You're at a healthy weight why eat at a deficit? If you want to reduce body fat I would recommend trying body recomposition. It involves you eating at maintenance and working on losing body fat and trying to have a more toned figure. Your strength training routine is vital as well.

Because the OP still has a good amount of room to work with and the fastest way to cut fat is through a deficit. Recomp is great, if you are already semi-lean