Lol someone told me - Running makes you old...

Options

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Who cares?! ... I'm running and I'm happy! :)
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    These comments are inspiring. :smiley:
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I think it's the sun that ages your skin. It would apply to anyone who spends a lot of time outdoors without ample sun protection.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Regular exercise is the fountain of youth
  • hcolligan
    hcolligan Posts: 75 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Personally I think the weight loss in my face: makes my face look 'older'. But I didn't start running til after I hit maintenance so can't blame that.[/quote

Same as me!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    Two things make you look old:
    Smoking
    Sun

Runners shouldn't be smokers. But take care of your skin!

I guess a couple more too: having kids, stress, loosing volume out of the face (goon from a fat face to a skinny face and loose skin)

I always put sun cream on my face if I'm running for more than half an hour

I put on sunblock to drive from my gym back home... it's 3.5 miles.

yeah- I'm practically allergic to the sun.... being goth will do that to you.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You know what makes you look old? Being dead......

All kidding aside I look old because I am old. I'm 61 and will never look 30 again but running helps me feel like I'm still 30 (in fact I feel better now that I did when I was 30.....I smoked, drank too much and was definitely on the fluffy side....)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Where's @Orphia with her before and after pics? She became a runner, lost a lot of weight and looked 15-20 years younger in her 'after' pic.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    Two things make you look old:
    Smoking
    Sun

Runners shouldn't be smokers. But take care of your skin!

I guess a couple more too: having kids, stress, loosing volume out of the face (goon from a fat face to a skinny face and loose skin)

I always put sun cream on my face if I'm running for more than half an hour

I always put sunscreen on if I'm leaving the house for any reason! Better safe than sorry, IMO (I do, or rather did, have a relative who had melanoma, though, so perhaps I'm more careful than most).

Also, I'd rather be fit and look old than be obese with a young face.
  • edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Biggest downside really is it can wear on your joints. Reach your daily calcium goal. Purchase quality running shoes and maybe compression socks and you're a step ahead of the game.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    2 years of cardio to include power walking and running outside. I am 2 years older on the right. I'll be 60 years old in august.

qd6d2211o0i5.jpg
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Biggest downside really is it can wear on your joints. Reach your daily calcium goal. Purchase quality running shoes and maybe compression socks and you're a step ahead of the game.

This myth just won't die.

http://www.runnersworld.com/sweat-science/run-for-your-knees
    http://www.runnersworld.com/sweat-science/is-running-actually-good-for-your-knees
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

This myth just won't die.

http://www.runnersworld.com/sweat-science/run-for-your-knees
    http://www.runnersworld.com/sweat-science/is-running-actually-good-for-your-knees

I agree.

Also I think trail running is even better for the joints as it develops all those stabilizer muscles that make the joints even stronger.

I also think most injuries are caused by people running too fast too soon. It takes much longer for the joints to develop than it does the heart and lungs, so most people feel like they can go faster because their heart and lungs feel better long before the joints are ready for the extra speed.

Bad shoes and a bad running style can also cause injuries, but running properly can keep your joints healthy.

JMHO
  • neilhoopy
    neilhoopy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Keeps me young at heart
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Ah yes. The myth that won't die!

I was an athlete as a kid and worked for years for the USFS in really steep and deep country. And I did a lot of different kinds of blue-collar work. Everything from my hips down was "wrecked." I decided to take up walking with a trainer at age 51. My hips hurt, I'd had a lot of trouble with my knees, and I had no cartilage in the large joint of one of my big toes. Within a year, because my trainer was so gentle, I was running. I did not expect that!
    I am in far less pain when I am running than I am when I'm walking or sitting. I doubt I look any younger, I've got graying hair which I love, and I've been working on wrinkles around my eyes since I was young, since I associate that with people who smile! But I run. I do 5ks and a half or two a year. I run properly with a light, quick step, and stretch religiously after every run. I'm in better shape now than I was 10 or 20 years ago.

If you care to be inspired, check out a five minute video on YouTube called "Grandmothers of Endurance." It was made a few years ago about two women in my town. One of them didn't start running until she was 51. And when the video was made, she was approaching 80, and her running partner was approaching 70. They ran 100-milers at the time.
    Barb, the older of the two, has given up 100-milers since turning 81, though she still runs long runs, and there is no way in hell that my 5K time can come anywhere near the time of the younger of the two.

I wish that I looked that kind of older!
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    @Orphia, those pictures are phenomenal! Love it!

I run because it's good for my mental health. And I wear sunscreen. And people think I'm younger than I am, usually, so I think it's all good.