Lol someone told me - Running makes you old...

Options

Replies

• Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I sure "feel old" when running. It's a humbling unpleasant absolutely horrible hour of my weekly regime. But I still do it because of the benefits. B)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Um....Actually, running can make you look older.
    We lose facial muscle and skin tone as we age. If you have a little fat it helps to hide the loss of some of that muscle and plumpness behind the skin smooths out wrinkles.
    Many runners get pretty skinny, and a skinny older person can look gaunt.
    Sorry. I love running. I am an avid runner. But that is just true. There is a billion-dollar market for fillers and Botox in cosmetic medicine for just this problem.
    If you are worried about it, add a cream or lotion containing some form of retinol to your daily skin care regimen, or an alpha- or beta-hydroxy acid. Those products actually do erase some wrinkles and sun-damage spots. They won't necessarily get rid of the big heavy ones, but they will help with the faint ones and they will make your skin look younger.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Lot of people believe lots of silly things. In my experience, it is best to just smile and nod before walking away. Less drama that way.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    Um....Actually, running can make you look older.
    We lose facial muscle and skin tone as we age. If you have a little fat it helps to hide the loss of some of that muscle and plumpness behind the skin smooths out wrinkles.
    Many runners get pretty skinny, and a skinny older person can look gaunt.
    Sorry. I love running. I am an avid runner. But that is just true. There is a billion-dollar market for fillers and Botox in cosmetic medicine for just this problem.
    If you are worried about it, add a cream or lotion containing some form of retinol to your daily skin care regimen, or an alpha- or beta-hydroxy acid. Those products actually do erase some wrinkles and sun-damage spots. They won't necessarily get rid of the big heavy ones, but they will help with the faint ones and they will make your skin look younger.

Alpha-arbutin is better for fading sun spots - AHAs and BHAs are more exfoliants than anything (BHAs in particular are good for acne). Niacinamide and azealic acid are also good for over-all skin brightness. If you do use AHAs and BHAs, use sunscreen with them, or you will worsen the problem.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Yes. It is true one would want to wear sunscreen with an alpha-hydroxy acid or a beta-hydroxy acid -- and especially a retinoid product.
    Arbutin does appear to lighten skin. but, as far as I know, that is only in one 12-week study with patients. (Arbutin has been investigated a fair bit, but, except for that one study, mostly only in assays and petri dishes.) And, it won't do anything about fine lines and wrinkles, like the other two agents will. Their efficacy for those agents is well investigated and confirmed.
    Not that anyone here needs it. We're all quite beautiful.......
  • sh28fleming
    sh28fleming Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've heard the same thing that cardio makes you look old. I think that if you do cardio at the same pace for 60 mins is a waste of time. The body gets too accustomed to it, so to not make that happen, you need to go at different paces like sprinting 20 secs, do a normal pace for 1 min and do this until you get to 20 mins. I see people doing cardio everyday for 60 mins and they look the same. No weight loss and they look old...lol
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I've heard the same thing that cardio makes you look old. I think that if you do cardio at the same pace for 60 mins is a waste of time. The body gets too accustomed to it, so to not make that happen, you need to go at different paces like sprinting 20 secs, do a normal pace for 1 min and do this until you get to 20 mins. I see people doing cardio everyday for 60 mins and they look the same. No weight loss and they look old...lol

I don't run to lose weight?

And you try running for 3 hours while sprinting in between.
  • sh28fleming
    Options
    No. I use a stationary bike for cardio for 20 mins since it has resistance. Changing it up is the key.
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My mom is 67. She runs. Looks amazing and younger than all of her friends who do not workout. She ran her first marathon at 60. She's training for a half in October. She wins races (because no one her age runs anymore! Lol). She inspires me everyday to be healthy and run!

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    No. I use a stationary bike for cardio for 20 mins since it has resistance. Changing it up is the key.

The key to what?

Cycling for 20 minutes won't help me hit my goals. That's me just going to the local village for a pint of milk.

You are thinking that people run to lose weight. Most runners are running for many, many reasons and it is rarely for weight loss.

I run to keep my bones strong, heart health, make me happy, help me get a better time in my next race/event. To challenge my body and mind. To run further and on tougher terrain.

Runners aren't just people who nip on a dreadmill.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Joenali wrote: »
    My mom is 67. She runs. Looks amazing and younger than all of her friends who do not workout. She ran her first marathon at 60. She's training for a half in October. She wins races (because no one her age runs anymore! Lol). She inspires me everyday to be healthy and run!

Your Mom is awesome :)
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Joenali wrote: »

Your Mom is awesome :)
    I think so!
  • sh28fleming
    Options
    I'm talking about changing up the the pace and not just doing the same thing for 60 mins. I understand running isn't for weight loss but staying at the same pace is useless. Sprinting for a certain amount of time is better. Doing long frequent cardio sessions will break down your muscles and increase the production of free radicals. These free radicals are nasty little things that damage the cells in your body and accelerate aging. Long distance runners look old.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm talking about changing up the the pace and not just doing the same thing for 60 mins. I understand running isn't for weight loss but staying at the same pace is useless. Sprinting for a certain amount of time is better. Doing long frequent cardio sessions will break down your muscles and increase the production of free radicals. These free radicals are nasty little things that damage the cells in your body and accelerate aging. Long distance runners look old.

:huh:

Source?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    edited June 2017
    Options

I too will look forward to you providing scientific sources that my long easy run sessions are useless. (Up to 2.5hrs ATM )

Most runners will also do a speed session, and cadence session on top of tempo sessions. Some even V02 sessions (that's beyond my capability).
    As for free radicals I eat enough anti oxidant veg that I don't need to worry.
  • sh28fleming
    Options
    I've heard it through personal trainers and I see it in some of my friends who run. They look old but they are not old. Just think of all the pounding going on throughout your body while running. Some damage is happening.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've heard it through personal trainers and I see it in some of my friends who run. They look old but they are not old. Just think of all the pounding going on throughout your body while running. Some damage is happening.

Riiiiiiight....
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

z6meavekvu8x.png
  • sh28fleming
    Options
    Ha ha - funny - you must be blind and deaf.