afairfax47 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    GoldenEye_ wrote: »
    afairfax47 wrote: »
    I may not look like a nerd but pretty much every tshirt I own has some kind of gaming logo on it. Love old school Nintendo, Xbox, PlayStation computers games & don't think I'll ever grow out of them!! Add me:)

I think 'looking like a nerd' is a pretty outdated concept nowadays. Sure, there are some that still fit the bill, but the majority are just regular people that also like looking good and don't fit in that outdated prejudice. Just needed to say something about that.

No your comment wasn't necessary

It was to me :)

When I said "look like a nerd" I meant someone who looks like a gamer / dresses up in Pokemon rubber suits / has purple hair, a nose ring & knows every line in all the Star Wars movies...YOU are the one who assumed that there was a prejudice in a nerds appearance, not me. So I guess by jumping to that conclusion you should aim that little comment of yours to yourself

"I may not look like a nerd but pretty much every tshirt I own has some kind of gaming logo on it." You do dress in 'nerd' fashion.

"knows every line in all the Star Wars movies" This has nothing to do with appearance.

"purple hair, a nose ring" Plenty of youngsters have this. This doesn't really relate to being a nerd.

All that's missing from that is the rubber suit. I'm just going to assume here then that you think nerds walk around in rubber suits in daily life. Cool, you totally made your point.

Blah blah blah, like I said, you were the only one in this conversation who assumed looking like a nerd was a prejudice, therefore you're the one with the problem. You shouldn't assume such hateful things against people, & if there is a "cliche nerd look" that you were speaking of, why should that be a bad or unattractive thing anyway?! You should really try to be more open minded & less hateful
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I may not look like a nerd but pretty much every tshirt I own has some kind of gaming logo on it. Love old school Nintendo, Xbox, PlayStation computers games & don't think I'll ever grow out of them!! Add me:)

I think 'looking like a nerd' is a pretty outdated concept nowadays. Sure, there are some that still fit the bill, but the majority are just regular people that also like looking good and don't fit in that outdated prejudice. Just needed to say something about that.

When I said "look like a nerd" I meant someone who looks like a gamer / dresses up in Pokemon rubber suits / has purple hair, a nose ring & knows every line in all the Star Wars movies...YOU are the one who assumed that there was a prejudice in a nerds appearance, not me. So I guess by jumping to that conclusion you should aim that little comment of yours to yourself

"I may not look like a nerd but pretty much every tshirt I own has some kind of gaming logo on it." You do dress in 'nerd' fashion.

"knows every line in all the Star Wars movies" This has nothing to do with appearance.

"purple hair, a nose ring" Plenty of youngsters have this. This doesn't really relate to being a nerd.

All that's missing from that is the rubber suit. I'm just going to assume here then that you think nerds walk around in rubber suits in daily life. Cool, you totally made your point.

Blah blah blah, like I said, you were the only one in this conversation who assumed looking like a nerd was a prejudice, therefore you're the one with the problem. You shouldn't assume such hateful things against people, & if there is a "cliche nerd look" that you were speaking of, why should that be a bad or unattractive thing anyway?! You should really try to be more open minded & less hateful

Wow, you really managed to make a huge thing out of this. You must be fun at parties. Yes, there is the common image of nerds that they don't really care about what they look like because they have other priorities. The fact is that nerdy things have become pop culture, which lead to an enormous amout of people with huge diversity among them to classify themselves as nerd. The fact that you feel I'm a closeminded person because I'm saying that you wouldn't recognize a nerd in the crowd is a couple of bridges too far don't you think? (oh and hey, another prejudice!) I was merely speaking of prejudice because you said you didn't look like a nerd. Apparently you have still have some sort of image of what such a person is supposed to look like. Chill, we all love nerd stuff here. Lets keep this a happy place shall we?
  • ItsBetterThisWay
    ItsBetterThisWay Posts: 42 Member
    Options

True true. This isn't a cartoon or a movie, this is real life. Lol.
  • afairfax47
    Options

Wow, you really managed to make a huge thing out of this. You must be fun at parties. Yes, there is the common image of nerds that they don't really care about what they look like because they have other priorities. The fact is that nerdy things have become pop culture, which lead to an enormous amout of people with huge diversity among them to classify themselves as nerd. The fact that you feel I'm a closeminded person because I'm saying that you wouldn't recognize a nerd in the crowd is a couple of bridges too far don't you think? (oh and hey, another prejudice!) I was merely speaking of prejudice because you said you didn't look like a nerd. Apparently you have still have some sort of image of what such a person is supposed to look like. Chill, we all love nerd stuff here. Lets keep this a happy place shall we?

So long as you haven't got a problem anymore we were always all good here. Try not to make assumptions in future without thinking though:)
  • afairfax47
    Options

But I never said the cliche was a negative thing, you said it. So long as you haven't got a problem anymore we were always all good here. Try not to make assumptions in future without thinking though:)
  • GoldenEye_
    edited June 2017
    Options

But I never said the cliche was a negative thing, you said it. So long as you haven't got a problem anymore we were always all good here. Try not to make assumptions in future without thinking though:)

I really don't know where you got that I said anything negative. Do we have a different definition of prejudice (any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable, neutral or unfavorable.)? I stand by my point, but I don't see how that is a problem to you.
  • afairfax47
    Options

I really don't know where you got that I said anything negative. Do we have a different definition of prejudice? I stand by my point, but I don't see how that is a problem to you.

Lol, why don't you just admit it? The only reason you jumped on my comment was because you had a little problem with my appearance. Sooo many people posted pictures of themselves, claiming how much of a nerd they LOOKED like, yet you saved up your silly comment for my post...why?? Well you and I both know the answer to that one. Seriously just go away and save your debates for someone who can be bothered cos I'm done here.
  • GoldenEye_
    Options

I really don't know where you got that I said anything negative. Do we have a different definition of prejudice? I stand by my point, but I don't see how that is a problem to you.

Lol, why don't you just admit it? The only reason you jumped on my comment was because you had a little problem with my appearance. Sooo many people posted pictures of themselves, claiming how much of a nerd they LOOKED like, yet you saved up your silly comment for my post...why?? Well you and I both know the answer to that one. Seriously just go away and save your debates for someone who can be bothered cos I'm done here.

I don't have any problem with your appearance. Other people have mentioned all their nerdy behaviors. Posting pictures of cosplays they go in. You were they only one commenting about looking or not looking like a nerd. Thus, I commented on you (woow, surprise <- yes, I'm also starting to feel a bit annoyed). There's your why. But anyway, you already seem to know all my thought processes, so I think we're done here indeed. Enjoy your day.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    captbklee wrote: »
    You guys aren't really nerd-fighting until the pocket protectors come off and someone starts yelling "Lightning bolt!" (How's that for cliché? :p )

I'm waiting for the Ron Burgundy "Boy, that escalated quickly!" meme to be posted. :smile:
  • SaritaWolf
    SaritaWolf Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! Super nerdy! =D
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,140 Member
    Options
    DC/Marvel/Star Wars/Star Trek many other Sci Fi/Comic Book loves.

My bedroom is like a batman shrine :/
  • afairfax47
    Options

I don't have any problem with your appearance. Other people have mentioned all their nerdy behaviors. Posting pictures of cosplays they go in. You were they only one commenting about looking or not looking like a nerd. Thus, I commented on you (woow, surprise <- yes, I'm also starting to feel a bit annoyed). There's your why. But anyway, you already seem to know all my thought processes, so I think we're done here indeed. Enjoy your day.

You finally get it then! Precisely what i was saying when I said I don't look like a nerd! I didn't have a photo of myself in coaplay or in gamer dress. That's all I meant from it. You misinterpreted it & took it to a negative place because ... well again, we both know why. Peace
  • afairfax47
    Options
    captbklee wrote: »
    You guys aren't really nerd-fighting until the pocket protectors come off and someone starts yelling "Lightning bolt!" (How's that for cliché? :p )

It's revenge of the nerds:p
  • Megan91384
    Megan91384 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Nintendo, books, Zelda, Harry Potter, and scifi nerd here. Feel free to add me. My husband is constantly surprised people stop to tell me they love my Hyrule shirts. Nerds are everywhere! :)
  • Jamaica4god
    Jamaica4god Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Nerd love!!! If I still read a book just about every day does that count? Star Trek. Star Wars. Star Crossed. Bill Nye the Science Guy. I love watching Alton Brown break down the science of cooking! I'm a nurse by nature because I love to break apart the symptoms, find the problem and fix it! Does that count? I'm 36 and I loved Big Bang Theory (the show not the science). And even though I'm a nurse when someone says "The Doctor" it means something completely different to me!!
    My kids get mad at me because when a show does something completely rediculous like try to shock a flatline heart, I rant and rave.
    I love to sprint but I'd much rather have my nose in a book.

Does that count?

If so, please add me!

-Trish
  • Kelclendsey
    Kelclendsey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Book nerd here...love star trek, star wars, and all comic book movies (except for catwoman). I read fantasy, sci fi, horror, paranormal romance...basically anything that's not plain fiction and has some sort of magic or abilities. I do play pokemon on my nintendo 3ds along with mario a little bit. I love ninja movies too.
  • GoldenEye_
    Options

You finally get it then! Precisely what i was saying when I said I don't look like a nerd! I didn't have a photo of myself in coaplay or in gamer dress. That's all I meant from it.

Then actually say that next time. Say what you mean, with the right words, so we can all be on the same page. I literally interpreted it like you said it, nothing more. I took the liberty of deleting the last sentence of that quote. You know, the very childish one you keep repeating the same gist of every post.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Sup! I'm a 29yr old lady who loves boardgames, D&D, videogames and anime. D&D is basically my life. I'm playing in 2 games right now, and DMing 3 others... lord help me.
  • afairfax47
    Options

You finally get it then! Precisely what i was saying when I said I don't look like a nerd! I didn't have a photo of myself in coaplay or in gamer dress. That's all I meant from it.

Then actually say that next time. Say what you mean, with the right words, so we can all be on the same page. I literally interpreted it like you said it, nothing more. I took the liberty of deleting the last sentence of that quote. You know, the very childish one you keep repeating the same gist of every post.

No! Why should I have to explain myself to you and your assumptions!? Besides I figured my comment was self explanatory when I said directly after the "look" comment that I had gamer tshirts & was into all that crap. Shouldn't you have assumed that's what I meant? I made an innocent comment on a friendly page and was interrogated by a wack job. Everyone else here has some way of defining what thy think nerdy is & "looks like", only you singled me out, you have to look yourself in the mirror & ask yourself why that was. You are the only person here who has had prejudice thoughts.l, that's why you assumed what you did, cos that's how your screwy angry mind works. And the last comment was the truth & the root of all this garbage, that's the last thing you should delete. Now *kitten* off, you've wasted enough of my time.