I overeat and hate exercise....

Options

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I agree with ninerbuff. I would also add that you should really think about doing some mental training and learn to do positive affirmations. It sounds corny, but it really does work.

What I do is right down some goals. I write out weekly, monthly, yearly, and more long term goals. Then, I make positive affirmations from them. I write them down and say them to myself all the time. For instance, around Christmas of last year, one of my goals was to be wearing a pair of size 5/6 jeans that I had not been able to fit into in years. Instead of saying things like "I wish these fit" or "I will be happy when I can wear these again" I literally wrote down "I am so happy that I am able to wear these pair of size 5/6 jeans again. I am fit and I feel great!" Of course when I first wrote it down, it wasn't exactly true yet, but that's part of the affirmation process. You have to OWN your goals and believe that you have already achieved them.

In your case, the easiest thing to write affirmations about is what you wrote in your OP. Just REVERSE them. "I love to workout because I feel so fit and beautiful when I am finished." Things like that. Write them down. Say them to yourself outloud. Whenever those negative thoughts from that OP creep into your head, tell yourself those affirmations. Remind yourself why you are doing this.

Basically by doing so, you are training your mind to get in a positive mindset and to stop focusing on the negative. A lot of people do not realize just how mental a weight loss journey really is! But even those that do realize it oftentimes don't train their minds like they should. Of course exercise is important and calorie deficits are of utmost importance, but what good does any of that do you when your mind isn't right and you are much more prone to crazy binges?

Just my .02 cents.
  • jlmakela
    jlmakela Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    oh. I can relate.
    I DREAMED about (literally in a dream) eating a party size peanut M&M bag. It's the third dream about eating candy since I gave it up in April. (Though my husband reminds me that eating candy in a dream has no calories.)
    But it is all mental.

Thoughts:
    you are cutting off too much too soon. You won't sustain without some mental tricks or changes.
    Trick 1, I gave up candy, but not dark chocolate (>70% dark). I still get my dark chocolate.(I love dark chocolate.) But you know, most "impulse candy" (peanut M&M's) is not dark, so it is amazing how much you don't eat. (Variation, "the only fast food I eat is...", "the only Mexican place I eat as is...")
    trick 2- "I'm not dieting. I'm training for a 5k." Don't make it about weight or dieting. Unless you are prepared for psychotherapy (good for you if you are), then don't deal with all that baggage associated with dieting. Find another reason to eat healthy.
    trick 3-set a goal and a date to achieve the goal. Make sure it has nothing to do with weight or dress size. why else do you want to exercise and eat healthy? races have the benefit of being an objective measure. (You either ran it or you didn't.) There is also always another race. But find a goal that works for you. ("I want to walk up all 6 flights of stairs to my office without being winded by this fall." "I want to bike ride in a 10 mile fun ride in October....) make it reasonable.
    trick 4 find someone to "hold your feet to the fire." -hire a trainer, a nutritionist, or just have a fiend follow your diet on my fitness pal. You will need that person when you fall off the wagon.
    trick 4- examine why you hate exercise. For me it was a few reasons. 1) I thought exercise was punishment for being fat. (really. I was always told, "your fat. exercise more." But everyone should exercise ) 2)I needed music or conversation or I get board.3) I had exercise induced asthma and didn't know it (It always hurt to run, but OMG, the inhaler works!) Maybe you need to do different exercises.

well these are some things I do.
    maybe they will help you.
  • podgeford123
    Options
    Exercise (especially gym) makes me hungry and bored. I only ride my bike now really. So I never really get hungry. Cravings often are for spices or paprika or so, have it in a water based soup. The fatty buttery feeling of junk, is exactly that, a fatty buttery gut. Remember that when you put those foods in your mouth. They are what is determining you; they are just junk - you do not need them, ease of on exercise and you will get less starving - try yoga instead. With my approach I have lost 17lbs (8% of my bodyweight) in 6 weeks, and its been easy...just tune into yourself, and dont beat yourself up
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    That IS a terrible combination
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Have a 1500 calorie meal, just do exercise that day, and keep the reward of your Mexican food in mind. Have a light breakfast and a light dinner, preserve those calories for the Mexican.

Alternatively, cut a bigger deficit of calories over the duration of the week, so you can "afford" to have a Mexican without it being detrimental to your weight loss.

I had a chicken chow mein and chips last night. In total it came to 1350 calories, and I was still under my macros, due to exercise.

You gotta speculate to accumulate.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    ..If you hate what you are doing for a workout, find something else that you don't dread. I hate running. I was trying to force myself to run and I started hating going to the gym. I finally realized what was happening and one day I screwed up the courage to venture out of the cardio area. I found that I LOVED doing weights. Now I actually look forward to lifting days at the gym. There are tons and tons of ways to exercise and I'm sure there is something you will find that will excite you.

This ^
    If you hate the exercise you're doing can you really see yourself sticking to it for years ahead of you? If not then it's not sustainable. Find something you enjoy, then it's not a chore.

I hate cardio in terms of classes or running or gym cardio machines, so I walk and cycle outside which I do for fun and it doesn't feel like exercise. I love lifting weights too because I love setting new goals and meeting them and knowing I'm getting stronger. Find something that works with you're routine, that you enjoy and that makes you feel good.
  • xomellyxo
    xomellyxo Posts: 32
    Options
    I really don't see the harm in having something if you want it, if you can't just have one chip, have 20.
    Just do it once, get it out your system and move on.
    Don't beat yourself up about it afterwards, just let it go.

You might find that you go to have the mexian/pizza/whatever, you have some, and you don't actually want as much as you used to or like it as much as you used to.

Theres no point driving yourself mad over something.

What I do is count all my calories, factor all the naughty stuff in, then I know if I need to go running so I can have the extra portion then I do. I almost see it as a game sometimes, getting the number back to green when I've had more than I should've.

*prepares for barrage of 'omg thats so the wrong advice' comments haha*
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Oh, I have been. I have a trainer and work out 6 days a week. I have been making food at home but it's not the same.

I'm just mentally exhausted from the battle.

Could you be overdoing it slightly? It's so much harder to stick to a lifestyle where no foods that you love, and too much exercise you don't like, are central. Couldn't you adjust your plan to allow for a little bit more room for fun, so that it's easier to stick to the regime the rest of the time? Sure, your weightloss might be more slow, but it's more likely that you'll continue in the long run.

Also am with the other people that say you can have something you love occasionally, and try to find a type of exercise that you do love or at least not hate with a passion!!

Good luck!! You already lost a lot of weight, that's amazing
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as a "bad for you" food. Fit it into your overall plan, and you won't be driving yourself nuts wanting to have it. I eat a pint of ice cream as a snack at least once a week. I plan for it, and make it fit into my goals. The only reason to ever cut any food out of your life is for a medical reason. Otherwise, just plan for it. Overall diet matters the most, specific foods are less important, as long as the overall nutrient goals are hit.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I agree with ninerbuff. I would also add that you should really think about doing some mental training and learn to do positive affirmations. It sounds corny, but it really does work.

What I do is right down some goals. I write out weekly, monthly, yearly, and more long term goals. Then, I make positive affirmations from them. I write them down and say them to myself all the time. For instance, around Christmas of last year, one of my goals was to be wearing a pair of size 5/6 jeans that I had not been able to fit into in years. Instead of saying things like "I wish these fit" or "I will be happy when I can wear these again" I literally wrote down "I am so happy that I am able to wear these pair of size 5/6 jeans again. I am fit and I feel great!" Of course when I first wrote it down, it wasn't exactly true yet, but that's part of the affirmation process. You have to OWN your goals and believe that you have already achieved them.

In your case, the easiest thing to write affirmations about is what you wrote in your OP. Just REVERSE them. "I love to workout because I feel so fit and beautiful when I am finished." Things like that. Write them down. Say them to yourself outloud. Whenever those negative thoughts from that OP creep into your head, tell yourself those affirmations. Remind yourself why you are doing this.

Basically by doing so, you are training your mind to get in a positive mindset and to stop focusing on the negative. A lot of people do not realize just how mental a weight loss journey really is! But even those that do realize it oftentimes don't train their minds like they should. Of course exercise is important and calorie deficits are of utmost importance, but what good does any of that do you when your mind isn't right and you are much more prone to crazy binges?

Just my .02 cents.

GREAT suggestions. I'm doing this, too. It's improved the quality of my life 1000 percent.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    The only reason I've made it this far is because I have the foods I really want sometimes. Every other time I've tried the "all or nothing" diet I've given up. Deprivation is just not a long-term solution. And how else am I going to learn moderation for after I reach my goal? If I just go back to my old way of eating, I'll gain all the weight back. I have to find a sustainable way of eating for life, and realistically that doesn't include making any type of food totally off-limits.

This is how I've managed to lose 50lbs and get into the best shape of my life! I've still got progress to make, but I can do that and still have Mexican food, pizza, hamburgers, French fries, cake, ice cream, candy, etc.

The trick is to remember that you don't need ALL the food right now. They make more every day. If you have a little money, a car, and some free time, you can get more Mexican food another day. So, have some right now. Then, have some the next time you want it. It's not going anywhere. It will always be there.

Portion control and moderation are skills to master. They take hard work, but it's worth it. I would much rather put in the time and effort to learn to be good at something than to continue to fail miserably at losing weight because I keep falling off the wagon. If there's no wagon, there's nothing to fall off of. I would much rather live without the fear of falling.
  • dianesheart88
    dianesheart88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    FIrst... Congrats on your 34 lbs lost!! That is awesome! Don't lose sight of the big picture. You are making amazing progress. I do think that it would be helpful for you to allow for a cheat meal once per week or every two weeks (as others have said). I do allow for one meal (not day) where I can enjoy something I like to have. I do make sure I get a good workout in that day so I can afford those calories a bit easier. It's not helpful to your success if you forbid yourself to enjoy some things. Your changing the way you live... not just for a year, but for the rest of your life. It's important that we learn to control ourselves, however know that we can have those things but only for your cheat meal. Please try not to allow yourself to dwell on all the things you 'can't' have... this is the mind game taking place. Think of all the things your going to gain by losing! Also when and if you do make better choices... forgo the sour creams, flour shells and cheese. That's what I do, plus I make sure I drink a bunch of water prior to help with overeating. Feel free to add me. Good Luck!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I was you about 15 months ago. I hated exercise and I ate too much.

Then, I made the decision that I wanted to be healthy. That's it. There is no magic here. When you want to be healthy bad enough - you will do what it takes to get there. There is no bad food, there is no magic exercise, there is only the desire to be healthy.

When you find that within yourself, you will not have to worry about motivation. It will be there. You will do what it takes - every day. Good luck!
  • grandpoobah12
    Options
    But look, you lost 34 lbs in 2 months?!!! That is freakin out of control awesome! Your like the Biggest Loser, seriously, that is like what they lose on the show.

Just think I have been doing the same things eating well and exercise (except I like to exercise) and I have lost 0 lbs.

That makes you feel better for your sacrifice right???
  • shareces
    shareces Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comments in support of the idea that it is all mental. If you say things like, "I hate exercise," you'll stop. This will become a self fulfilling prophecy because your speaking this negative idea into existence. I'm sure you love the feeling of being fit and healthy. Focus your energies on your true wants to get out of that pit. I know what that's like and I can only speak to you from experience. The working out is just what's needed to get what you want for your body just like how school is the way to the degree to then get work in the field of your choice leading to a satisfying career and quality of life. Your fitness goal is no different. You got it. Don't stress over momentary junk (which if you crave that bad you can have the will power to eat a handful and not a bagful)...you got this :wink:
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Why not try some things that don't seem like traditional exercise. Learn to kayak, join an indoor rock climbing gym, try some different classes, sign up for a race or event, so you have a goal to challenge you. I agree treadmills and elliptical and weight lifting are mind-numbingly boring and I only do them occasionally. In trying to find something I enjoy, I've developed a love for kettlebell class, biking, kayaking and even running, which I swore I would never do willingly again. Find something you enjoy and it will help it all come together and not seem so much like drudgery.

This!

For me Zumba, step aerobics and biking work. I could NEVER run- too boring and repetitive...talk to your trainer about the other options.....what things DO you like to do?
  • rrbitter
    rrbitter Posts: 5
    Options
    I was the same way, now I am dealing with congestive heart failure. Broccoli is looking really good!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Some brilliant advice in this thread so far, not sure I have much to add but my experience so far. I hated gym exercise when I started 17 weeks ago. My reasons for doing it was I wanted to get fit and I knew I could eat more if I exercised. I'd never done weights, hated running and on my gym induction managed literally 2mins on the elliptical trainer at L2 before I was gasping so much I had to stop. I went swimming alot until I hurt my knee and shoulder (only I could injury myself swimming BTW!). So to continue to be able to have treats I had to adapt and did more gym work (once healed). I found I really enjoy doing weights as at the moment its relatively easy to see quick improvements (I've now maxed out 3 of the 5 leg machine exercises at 65kg!). Then a weird thing happened and I found for the first time in my life (even when I was a relatively fit, sporty and thin teen) I enjoyed a running session. Yesterday i completed wk 6 session 1 of C25K, today I did 33mins on the elliptical at L4, tomorrow I'm going kayaking probably and Sunday is a big weights session followed by a smaller cardio work out. Tonight I'm having a few drinks and should stay within my calorie goal (or not be over by much and have been under all week) and tomorrow I may have a small takeaway (been craving a mixed kebab with loads of chill & garlic sauce with small fries from my local kebab shop).

I need to find a way to lose weight, get fit and be able to keep the weight off when I get to my goal. This has to be a lifestyle change and not a diet. I had to get my head around the fact that this can't be temporary or I'll spend the rest of my life losing and gaining weight. I also can't deny myself things I like or I'll never stick to it. 100% respect for those that eat as clean as they can but I know that's not for me - I like a drink at a weekend, I like chocolate and Haribo and I like food that contains butter & cream. If I allow myself I am also an emotional eater and also greedy (I can eat a hell of a volume of food before I feel full) I feel that I have found a way to be able to incorporate all this but it has been far more of a mental than a physical challenge so far. Everything in moderation sounds trite but for the first time in my adult life I think I get it! So gym plus lots and lots of veg, plus lean meat/ fish and burn enough cals to be able to have small amounts of chocolate pretty much every day and the occasional drink and/ or bigger treat once in a while (maybe every 10days for me).

BTW I have found my tastes have changed even in a relatively short space of time. The idea of eating a whole large piza makes me feel bleugh just thinking about it, same for a large McD's. Spicy stuff like Mexican I still love as I love spicy food - in fact that seems to have increased. Pretty much everything I cook has chilli in it now!

If you get your head in the right place you can do this without it being the torture its sounds like it currently is for you.
    I wish you the very best of luck :)
  • loislenski
    loislenski Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Let yourself have a cheat day and eat some mexican food! It sounds like you deserve it!
    Also, find some exercise you love. I really hate exercise too. I've come to tolerate anymore and mostly just stick with walking, the stationary bike, and sometimes Zumba. When I'm walking or doing the stationary bike, I tend to listen to an audio book or music, or maybe watch a TV show episode, which keep me occupied so that I almost forget I'm working out... almost. :)
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    . Weird double post, sorry!