cant even eat fruit?

Options
Turns out fruits have sugar I'm them... so it it really bad to eat more than two bananas a day? Should I worry about the sugar limit with fruits?

Replies

• eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an underlying medical condition, if it fits your nutrition goals for a day, go for it.

I worry the most about added sugars, like white sugar or high fructose corn syrup.
  • adlace
    adlace Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    yeah, if they fit in cals go for it. Sometimes I want the two bananas, some times I don't want the bananas at all and want nuts instead. Variety and what fits in your daily goals.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    What is the world coming to that people are afraid to eat fruit?

Sometimes I think maybe the fear of 'sugar' has gone a little overboard.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I eat a piece of fruit every day. I don't think sugar from fruit matters,but I wouldn't eat only fruit and no vegetables. A nice mix is good.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an underlying medical condition, if it fits your nutrition goals for a day, go for it.

I worry the most about added sugars, like white sugar or high fructose corn syrup.

curious how the body distinguishes between fruit from sugar and white sugar?
  • his_kid1
    his_kid1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

This, totally.
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    youdontknowwhatyousaw Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I don't really worry about natural sugars, either. I'm almost always over the MFP sugar goal. I eat a lot of fruit and veggies.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Of course you can eat fruit. It's natural and good for you. Some fruits are better than others of course....

when-fruit-goes-bad.gif

...but overall they are very healthy and good for you. I eat 4-5 servings a day and have lost quite a bit of weight.

As for the question about how the body can tell the difference between fruit sugar and processed stuff:
    Processed sugar, referred to scientifically as “sucrose”, is not only totally devoid of nutrients, but has added chemicals and raises blood sugar levels faster so you get energy/hunger swings. Think white table sugar, sugar in candy bars, or added sugar in fruit drinks.

Regarding “natural” sugar, all plants produce sugar as a byproduct of photosynthesis. Fruits and vegetables have sugar in the form of fructose, which is broken down more slowly by the body than sucrose. In addition, fruits and veggies boast vitamins and minerals also have fiber to slow down the digestion of their natural sugars, which leads to more stable blood sugar levels.

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/12/07/natural-vs-processed-sugar/
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

+1
  • karen_golfs
    karen_golfs Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I eat an apple, a banana and usually some other fruit every day!
  • eblakes93
    Options

curious how the body distinguishes between fruit from sugar and white sugar?

I never claimed that the body distinguishes between the two.

Sugar doesn't fill me up like protein and fat does. If I'm going to have the calories, I'll skip the oatmeal with added sugar, get the lower sugar one, and add some extra walnuts or a yogurt.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Of course you can eat fruit. It's natural and good for you. Some fruits are better than others of course....

when-fruit-goes-bad.gif

...but overall they are very healthy and good for you. I eat 4-5 servings a day and have lost quite a bit of weight.

As for the question about how the body can tell the difference between fruit sugar and processed stuff:
    Processed sugar, referred to scientifically as “sucrose”, is not only totally devoid of nutrients, but has added chemicals and raises blood sugar levels faster so you get energy/hunger swings. Think white table sugar, sugar in candy bars, or added sugar in fruit drinks.

Regarding “natural” sugar, all plants produce sugar as a byproduct of photosynthesis. Fruits and vegetables have sugar in the form of fructose, which is broken down more slowly by the body than sucrose. In addition, fruits and veggies boast vitamins and minerals also have fiber to slow down the digestion of their natural sugars, which leads to more stable blood sugar levels.

right but a sugar molecule still has the same chemical make up whether it comes from fruit or candy bars...so I still don't see how it would affect your bodily differently...
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I'm glad my sixty pound heavier former me, never heard that fruit was off limits. Fruit is a daily part of my lifestyle. Go fruit! But don't go nuts to the expense of other healthy options. Go veggies!
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit each and every day. I only go without if I am travelling long distances for work.

Also, my daily sugar allowance is usually over due to fruit, and it hasn't hindered my weight loss.
  • eblakes93
    Options

when-fruit-goes-bad.gif

right but a sugar molecule still has the same chemical make up whether it comes from fruit or candy bars...so I still don't see how it would affect your bodily differently...

No, fructose and sucrose are different types of sugar molecules. Here is a good explanation. http://www.livestrong.com/article/311336-fructose-vs-sucrose/
  • CinthyN
    CinthyN Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't really worry about natural sugars, either. I'm almost always over the MFP sugar goal. I eat a lot of fruit and veggies.

Same here :)
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

when-fruit-goes-bad.gif

I believe those pesky little sugar granules like to read their kindle at the gym, but those bananas are busy getting a real workout in. :tongue:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

when-fruit-goes-bad.gif

I think you just talked me into switching to high fructose corn syrup...
  • eblakes93
    Options

when-fruit-goes-bad.gif

I believe those pesky little sugar granules like to read their kindle at the gym, but those bananas are busy getting a real workout in. :tongue:

Wins.
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fruit every day, strawberries, blueberries, a banana, grapes or cherries and sometimes melon. I also try to pair them with some sort of protein. I feel better and have more energy when I eat fruit first thing in the morning.