How to cook boneless chicken breast that's not dried out

Options

Replies

• oldyogi66
    oldyogi66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Brolimom wrote: »
    I get GREAT results with my Sous Vide cooker. I cook a bunch ahead of time and use it all week in salads and other recipes.

If you start using Sous Vide method of cooking it's difficult to cook any other way. In addition you have so many favoring options and the meat, chicken or otherwise is done to perfection
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Use a meat thermometer. Take it off when it hits 165 and let it rest a couple of minutes.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Brine the chicken breasts if you have time, makes a huge difference.
    AceyMadrox wrote: »
    Cook it uncovered at 450° for about 18 minutes. I just figured this out. I had been cooking it much longer in lower heat and it always came out dry, but since I switched to this time/temp it always comes out perfect!

Cook them like this, hot and fast. It seams to seal the skin and keep the juices inside, I've had them squirt all over (uhhhh) when I've cut into them so be careful of that. A temperature probe with alarm is very useful, tell's you precisely when to take them out.

• NeilBasley
    NeilBasley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Simple and effective... steam it with a little bit of coconut oil and seasoning along with your veggies.. boiling in stock or protein can bed can be good to.. u can also soak the chicken in salt in the fridge which will retain the fluids then dear in the pan but do t use this method if your looking to lower salt intake..
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    If you want something not boring and like spicy, dry rub the chicken with taco seasoning and bake in the oven
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    tattygun wrote: »
    Brine the chicken breasts if you have time, makes a huge difference.
    AceyMadrox wrote: »
    Cook it uncovered at 450° for about 18 minutes. I just figured this out. I had been cooking it much longer in lower heat and it always came out dry, but since I switched to this time/temp it always comes out perfect!

Cook them like this, hot and fast. It seams to seal the skin and keep the juices inside, I've had them squirt all over (uhhhh) when I've cut into them so be careful of that. A temperature probe with alarm is very useful, tell's you precisely when to take them out.

I find high heat to be good over all in cooking. Not just for retaining natural liquid but for flavor as well because things start to caramelize. You can also fry/sear chicken breast in a pan similar to how you would cook a steak.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem when I grilled chicken breast, I brine before grilling.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I bake mine on a cooking rack and use a meat thermometer to check for doneness. Just a touch of oil and seasoning. Comes out amazing.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    Lots of good suggestions here above: marinade, yogurt marinade (buttermilk is even better), flat like schnitzel, thermometer and proper meat temperature control, use thighs on the grill, etc.

The "flat" suggestion is actually quite good. To add my two cents, ...

Tonight, it's cool and rainy here, so I made up a batch of baked-then-broiled-to-finish "lemon-yogurt-marinated-Moroccan-style" chicken. Stayed very moist. Trim the chicken up sort of how I said above, this time not so much for thinness to grill, but smaller chunk size and more marinade surface area. Bake 400F for about 40 min to reach proper meat temp, then finish with a few minutes under the broiler to give brown highlights. Stays nice and moist. I perched the yogurt-coated pieces on a bed of rough-chopped carrot and onion in an open dish to bake; the roasting veg also helps ensure the chicken stays moister. Marinade: greek yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, a glug of olive oil and a good dose of the spice mix (Raz el Hanout).
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I place the breast between two sheets of plastic wrap and beat the hell out of it with a rolling pin until it's as flat as can be. There's more surface area this way, so it will cook faster. I put seasoning on, and dump it in a hot pan with a little olive oil. Cover, then flip over after a few minutes. You want them to have a nice brown on both sides. When you take it out, let it rest for a couple minutes.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I never have an issue with my chicken breasts being dry. They are always juicy and tender. I don't grill though. I usually either bake them or fry them in a pan. If I bake them I sometimes let them "brine" or whatever in warm water with a little salt. I then dry them and coat with butter, rub with seasonings, and bake at 400 or so until they're done. I use a thermometer so I know when they're done, so they don't get overcooked.

Sometimes I don't brine them and they're fine too.

I think higher temps are better than "low and slow". Just my opinion. My oven is old and crappy so I don't really know what temperature I'm using, lol... But I turn the knob to the higher side.
  • roxskow
    roxskow Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Crockpot!!!!!!
  • annabel92
    annabel92 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Flatten with a rolling pin, marinade with spices or herbs and light coating of olive oil.

Bake in the oven for 26 minutes at 170 degrees celsius if a fan oven (or whatever the equivalent is in the US), and then make sure you leave them to rest for a few minutes after taking them out.

Leaving it to rest is key as it locks in the juice and stops it drying out!
  • philsimon1980
    philsimon1980 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ^^Meat thermometer is very handy.

When possible I use the charcoal grill. I pay attention to the meat and it's always tasty, juicy and bomb
  • kristinann308
    kristinann308 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I didn't read above, but here is what I do, which is easy peasy and requires little 'watching'.

- Pound chicken breast to tenderize/flatten to roughly 1/4" and season as preferred.
    - Put skillet on med-high with a little bit of oil to coat pan
    - Place chicken in pan (once hot and coated) - allow chicken to sit on skillet at this temperature for one minute.
    - Flip Chicken and turn heat down to low for 10 minutes, Cover pan (if you have electric stove, transfer to new burner at lower temperature).
    - After 10 minutes, turn stove heat OFF. DO NOT LIFT LID. Allow chicken to sit for another 10 minutes.
    - Viola...chicken that is moist AND shreds very easily.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Coat it in olive oil, it seals in the moisture and flavor.
  • millerraej88
    millerraej88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I never liked chicken when cooked myself bc it was always dry or over cooked. When I tried to boil it it felt rubbery and crockpot often took too long for a last minute dinner. I found the secret online it it works PERFECTLY for juicy, pull apart, delicious chicken breast without having the added calories of using a marinade.

Do this:

Lightly spray or oil pan
    Let it heat up to medium/high heat while you season your chicken
    Brown chicken on one side for 4 minutes or so
    Flip the chicken over, COVER the pan and turn heat to LOW.
    DO NOT LIFT THE LID AT ALL this is crucial to your success!
    Let the chicken cook this way for 20 min and BAM! Juicy fully cooked chicken breast, I promise!!!

Enjoy
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    Wrap it in bacon
  • rodreb123
    rodreb123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try the Range Mate, for microwave spice up ur chicken breast, cook in microwave for 5-6 minutes... juicy and ready, best investment I ever made.