How to cook boneless chicken breast that's not dried out

Options

Replies

• atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    1. Never ever ever overcook chicken, or it will be dry and stringy.

This is my best advice as well. There is a night and day difference between chicken that has been overcooked and cooked properly. Even days later a properly cooked chicken breast is still incredibly tender with lots of moisture whereas chicken I've overcooked is nearly not edible. For times that I end up with dry chicken, I usually pair it with some sort of dipping sauce to add some moisture and flavor to choke it down.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I second chicken thighs!
  • pjohnson0787
    pjohnson0787 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use my pressure cooker
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    tonight: another indoor, not grilled meal - "italian style chicken" - baked, butterflied boneless breasts perched on a bed of rough-chopped onion and broccoli florets, covered with sauce (tonight, jar rather than homemade, "Classico Fire Roasted Tomato"), sprinkled with grated cheese. Very moist and flavorful.
  • pessxx
    pessxx Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I use roasted bags , it is very nice done like this
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    jules12121 wrote: »
    I get so bored with chicken and I love it grilled but every time I try to grill they get so dry. Anyone have a good method?

When I bake chicken breasts now I cover the pan loosely with foil. Amazing difference ...they turn out nice and moist/juicy. Until I tried that mine came out the same.. dry.

This is what I do and the chicken is never dry
  • cherylellie938
    cherylellie938 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use the oven bags all the time for my chicken and they come out really juicy, I throw all my veg in the bag with the chicken too...flavours are amazing

• gcibsthom
    gcibsthom Posts: 30,137 Member
    Options
    When grilling chicken breasts, I use a dry rub but keep the heat low and keep the breasts off to the side, not above the flame....this slow grills it and does the inside...then at the last minute I put it directly over the flame to lock in the juices...always comes out tender juicy inside with a good brown on the outside...
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    I add mine to other food and make stew or stir fry
  • WeAreTheMassacre
    WeAreTheMassacre Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I tried for years to cook healthy chicken breast without being smothered in marinades. Always dry. I admitted defeat and bought an Instant Pot electric pressure cooker. Now all I need is water, salt and pepper and I'm good to go. I make a lb for my pups every night, straight out of the freezer, done in 20 minutes. Never dry, and smells so amazing all my pets come downstairs to admire it.

If you suck at cooking, invest in an electric pressure cooker.
  • TravelingGuru
    TravelingGuru Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    tattygun wrote: »

I find high heat to be good over all in cooking. Not just for retaining natural liquid but for flavor as well because things start to caramelize. You can also fry/sear chicken breast in a pan similar to how you would cook a steak.

Do you mean skillet sear/finish in oven like a steak? I've never thought to do that with chicken... will try it.
  • whippedcargo893
    whippedcargo893 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Pre heat oven to 360F on convection bake. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Drizzle chicken breasts with approx 1 tbsp of olive oil each. Coat the top of each breast with any type of desired chicken seasoning. Bake for 40 mins. Use thermometer to make sure at least 150C, if not, place in oven for 5-10 more minutes, then let stand for 5 mins. Always perfecto
  • hlwampler1
    hlwampler1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind the chicken falling apart....the crock pot. I work a lot of very long hours. I toss chicken in the crock pot in the morning with a little bit of water and it's so tender and juicy when I get home.
  • aggiekasey
    aggiekasey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Use a meat thermometer, and fresh (not frozen) chicken. It makes a huge difference!
  • DustyBawls
    DustyBawls Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I add water as I cook it to keep it juicy, but the key for me is to do the same as it's microwaving. Of course shredding it after you cook it is easier.
  • LenoreBrunk
    LenoreBrunk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I bought an instapot and I place my frozen chicken breasts in it along with seasoning( I prefer rosemary) and they come out moist and delicious. Another way to get them moist is to grill them on the bottom rack the first 15 minutes and then move them to the top rack and close the grill. They will bake but check them in 10 mins using meat thermometer-that can insure perfect breasts. Soaking them in beer beforehand helps to tenderize them and also making a lime and cilantro and garlic marinade over nite helps to break it down.
  • dnovotny628
    dnovotny628 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    jules12121 wrote: »
    I get so bored with chicken and I love it grilled but every time I try to grill they get so dry. Anyone have a good method?

Grill directly over high heat,400 degrees, 6 minutes per side. Flip once and dont cheat. Juicy every time.
  • tanktopsandflipflops
    Options
    I use an electric frying pan to cook mine and always have about .5 - 1 inch of water in the bottom of the pan. my chicken is soooooo moist!
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    • Dry brine it. Dry brine is salting the chicken breast and let it rest with salt for a while. Preferably overnight if possible.
    • Don't over cook. 165 is cooked. Take it off the grill at 160 and it will continue to cook.
    • Let it rest for 5- 10 minutes. Don't cut in to it right away.

See the experiment here regarding brining.
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-brining-turkey-thanksgiving.html
  • murph155
    murph155 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    George Foreman Grill. Pound them so they're fairly even in thickness, season as desired, then I cook mine on high for 9 minutes. Sometimes I marinate them too. Always come out juicy, and I cook a LOT of chicken breast!