How to cook boneless chicken breast that's not dried out

Options
jules12121
jules12121 Posts: 1 Member
I get so bored with chicken and I love it grilled but every time I try to grill they get so dry. Anyone have a good method?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Chicken schnitzel that has been pounded flat, breaded, and cooked quickly.

The breaded coatings prevent the outer layer from getting overcooked.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I sometimes boil it, shred it, and mix in salsa for tacos.

Butterfly it and cook it in a covered skilled and it will be very juicy. This is my usual method.

As far as grilling, low, slow, spray butter, and do not overcook it and you can keep it good and most.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have found that any way you cook it baked or grilled. Let it rest about 10 minutes or more before you cut it. If you cut it right out of the oven all the juices will run out on the board. If you let it rest they redistribute into the meat.

Also get a quick read thermometer to test it. 160 is what you are looking for it will actually rise while it is resting.

It is also juicer when cooked on the bone. I usually bake chicken breast on the bone with skin, season with seasoning of choice, 350 for 1 hour or internal temp 165, let rest 10 or 15 minutes and serve.

Here is a marinade. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/03/piri-piri-chicken.html
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Marinating meat before cooking usually helps. I use teryaki marinade but any marinade would do
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The thigh suggestion is valid. Fat is the joy of eating. Skinless chicken breast has none.
    You can either adorn the chicken breast with spices through marinades and rubs, or you can add fat or oils.
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Chicken thighs! White meat is.....dry
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    jules12121 wrote: »
    I get so bored with chicken and I love it grilled but every time I try to grill they get so dry. Anyone have a good method?

When I bake chicken breasts now I cover the pan loosely with foil. Amazing difference ...they turn out nice and moist/juicy. Until I tried that mine came out the same.. dry.
  • akfugatt
    akfugatt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Never place chicken directly over fire, use some kind of marinade (I use olive oil, some beer and of course seasoning)

When grilling I'm constantly spraying chicken with beer and never leave the grill comes out great
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    i like the ziplock steam bags or just a regular microwave steamer, but i also second that you have to let them rest as well.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions here above: marinade, yogurt marinade (buttermilk is even better), flat like schnitzel, thermometer and proper meat temperature control, use thighs on the grill, etc.

The "flat" suggestion is actually quite good. To add my two cents, I buy large packs of boneless/skinless for the price break. We joke at home that sometimes these packs contain "mutant" breasts - so large and unwieldy. So I trim and shape them before marinading and sending them to the grill. I cut the breast in half horizontally (to make two fairly-evenly-thick thinner pieces), after trimming off the chunk of rib meat and the pointy, thin end so that I wind up with four roughly equal and thin pieces (2 rectangular-ish, 1 triangular and whatever mess the rib meat chunk can be described as, LOL) that should grill faster and in more equal intervals (I wont give you a time, that depends on your setup - but it should be faster than the cook-the-thick-stuff-till-it-dries-out approach). Faster means moister (faster till properly done, of course!).