So, uh... why do strangers keep telling me "good job" while running?

Options

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    I'm guessing it can vary a lot from one area to another. Living in Southern California, people usually avoid making eye contact with each other like their lives depend on it. When I visited Texas, I was floored by how friendly everyone was, even people just walking by. At first it felt really weird but then I realized- this is awesome!!!

It's not just Texas; it's pretty much the whole middle part of the country.

I was raised in the Midwest, where people generally don't acknowledge strangers. I joined the military and was stationed in the south, where I was shocked to find that everyone greeted and smiled at each other. I got used to this for a few years, and then returned to the Midwest, where people were annoyed when I greeted and smiled at them. I quickly returned to being a cold Midwesterner who minds his own business. True story

You must have had a different experience growing up in the Midwest than I did. When I lived there people were even friendlier than they are in Texas. It was the kind of place where people would wave at their neighbors, even if they had their backs turned, because they might turn around and see you before you get past.

My statement was about interacting with strangers. Everyone waves at and is friendly toward their neighbors and acquaintances, but no one in the Midwest yells "hey y'all" when they pass a stranger in the aisle of a grocery store. :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    "Runners" are the MOST supportive people I've ever met. I have literally had world class ultra marathoners take the time and the breathe to say good job to me during a race. Ok, they were passing me like I was standing still at the time but that really doesn't matter. We were sharing a path others can't or do not wish to follow. To me it's like a secret handshake - just grin, nod back and pass it along.

Us lifters should support each other more.
    Starting tomorrow I'm gonna send kisses to all the dudes doing bicep curls!

I want to know how this went.

OP, I find the running community tends to be really supportive here and it's not uncommon for them to offer words of encouragement, particularly to new faces.

That's really the key. I'm on the trail 3-5 days a week at a couple different times. The usual suspects get a nod or a wave or good morning/evening--if I'm on a slower pace where I can spare the breath... but If I see a new face, I'm more likely to extend a "good job" or "looking good" or "keep at it"

If a guy I've never seen before says "looking good" to me on the trail, I'm reaching for my pepper spray :smile:
    What's wrong with "hello"? I guess that's what I don't get.

Sometimes the point isn't a daily greeting- it's an acknowledgement of the work- a bonding over mutual toils.
  • Legs_McGee23
    Legs_McGee23 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I hear this often and I don't think I look like I'm struggling. Other runners, walkers, cyclists on the trail - we all greet each other or say "nice work." I've been high fived a few times. I do live in a very friendly town, and also one that is very outdoor-oriented. I always took it as being part of the "outdoor fitness" tribe.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I've just started jogging, didn't get any words (although had headphones in) but got knowing smiles and head nods, I think that was quite nice. Maybe Americans are a bit more vocal than the British though, I'd probably be a bit perturbed if I got platitudinous random comments from several strangers though, it'd feel a bit surreal like being in the Truman show.
  • hdrider73
    hdrider73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    " It's a way of saying, "I understand what you are going through. I know it's not easy. Congratulations on getting out there and doing it." [/quote]

This is exactly right. It is not meant to be patronizing, rather a show of solidarity. I would recommend accepting it in the spirit it was meant.

• mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I dont jog but usually give the head nod or say hi when I run into others while mountain biking. Everyone is in a good mood having fun and guess some people like to pass that to others. Unless they say it in a really sarcastic way I wouldn't be bothered.
  • GrayRider61
    GrayRider61 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    In the south, this is standard behavior or just a nod of the head to acknowledge each other. I'm a mountain bike and we always speak to each other when we pass each other on the trail.
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Are you running with your biceps flexed? Maybe that explains it.

Lol. Running with one bicep flexed!
  • pawamonster
    pawamonster Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    A lot of people seem to be willfully confusing saying "hello" with praising someone for doing a "good job." One is a simple greeting. The other implies what we're doing out on that trail is work, and that we need encouragement.

My takeaway is that most people are comfortable with hearing a "hello" but feelings are mixed about receiving praise from strangers. If you actually want to be polite and friendly (and politeness includes considering the feelings of others), stick with "hi" and keep your thoughts about what kind of job somebody is doing to yourself.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I don't think we are willfully confused so much as we just aren't really bothered by "good job" and choose to take it in a positive and inclusive light instead of negatively. I would have to really examine the tone of the comment before I chose to look at it as patronizing.
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My 2 year old tells me "good job mom " all the time and some times even claps for me and it so damn cute but I swear I do feel she is patronizing me lmao
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    A lot of people seem to be willfully confusing saying "hello" with praising someone for doing a "good job." One is a simple greeting. The other implies what we're doing out on that trail is work, and that we need encouragement.

What we're doing on the trail *IS* work, and just because you don't want or need encouragement doesn't mean others don't.

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »

My takeaway is that most people are comfortable with hearing a "hello" but feelings are mixed about receiving praise from strangers. If you actually want to be polite and friendly (and politeness includes considering the feelings of others), stick with "hi" and keep your thoughts about what kind of job somebody is doing to yourself.

I've got a much better idea, those people who choose to get offended by someone being polite can continue to stew in their own negativity about how they don't "need praise" from a random stranger.

The rest of us can continue to be happy that others in this world want to add a little bit kindness, caring and consideration for others.

Hear, Hear!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I'm not willfully confused about anything. I generally find that people tend to be kind and helpful in many situations, not just in outdoor exercise activities. The good job is a recognition of effort FFS. I don't understand how so many presume a nefarious purpose to it.
  • cdhrscamaro
    cdhrscamaro Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    hzl22 wrote: »
    My 2 year old tells me "good job mom " all the time and some times even claps for me and it so damn cute but I swear I do feel she is patronizing me lmao

Hahhahha mine too!! I love it. He trys and works out with me!
  • cdhrscamaro
    cdhrscamaro Posts: 13 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I used to honestly think people were jerks, & would say "f you!!" Back @ them lol but don't take my advice.. People mean well now days, I swear
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I normally only ever get "the nod" or a hello/good morning. But if people are praising me I might not notice because I have earbuds in. Honestly if someone said something like that to me, I would assume it's because I'm fat and people like to encourage fat people to run or whatever. But, I'm a paranoid, anxious, jaded human being.

I will say there have been a few times when I've seen people running or working out and giving it their all and I've WANTED to tell them they're kicking a** but I didn't because I'm awkward.