Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.
Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    oh how I would love to write my psych dissertation on cake culture in the workplace....haha!

Why not? Another theme would be how it intersects with the individualism of American culture...hence the primary defence being along the lines of "it's your choice to eat or not eat the cake" "just say no" etc. How does cake culture play out in societies that value conformity over individualism?

because it doesn't really fall into my focus area - but if I were going general psychology it would (my focus area was team dynamics)
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    oh how I would love to write my psych dissertation on cake culture in the workplace....haha!

Why not? Another theme would be how it intersects with the individualism of American culture...hence the primary defence being along the lines of "it's your choice to eat or not eat the cake" "just say no" etc. How does cake culture play out in societies that value conformity over individualism?

I'm not American. It intersects with my culture of being a human who has always, throughout history, shared food as social bonding.

May I ask, what you are then? Although many cultures have commonalities, there is no one 'human' culture.

Can you tell me of a human culture where sharing of food in times of celebration isn't a thing?

In China, the traditional food to celebrate a birthday are peaches and noodles, not cake.

But still food...........

Yes. Ok, I didn't want to go there but honestly, you are not using the term "culture" correctly. The definition of culture is the customs, practices and beliefs of a particular people or society. By definition, there can be no universal human "culture". So your point that all humans share food is merely pointing out a commonality between cultures. Sorry, but there it is.

Pedantic straw clutching?

Across all human cultures there are customs around the sharing of food at time of celebration. What those foods are will depend on the celebration and again, customs and the evolution thereof. It is a shared commonality amongst humans of different cultures. There. Better?

That is a more accurate statement. Thank you.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    mmapags wrote: »

I'm not American. It intersects with my culture of being a human who has always, throughout history, shared food as social bonding.

May I ask, what you are then? Although many cultures have commonalities, there is no one 'human' culture.

Can you tell me of a human culture where sharing of food in times of celebration isn't a thing?

In China, the traditional food to celebrate a birthday are peaches and noodles, not cake.

Oh well, that makes all the difference in the world!! ( now where did they put that eyeroll icon....)

Just don't invite any of the keto folks, don't want to be evil carb pushers.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

Yes. Ok, I didn't want to go there but honestly, you are not using the term "culture" correctly. The definition of culture is the customs, practices and beliefs of a particular people or society. By definition, there can be no universal human "culture". So your point that all humans share food is merely pointing out a commonality between cultures. Sorry, but there it is.

Of course you didn't.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Pedantic straw clutching?

Across all human cultures there are customs around the sharing of food at time of celebration. What those foods are will depend on the celebration and again, customs and the evolution thereof. It is a shared commonality amongst humans of different cultures. There. Better?

That is a more accurate statement. Thank you.

And invalidates your assertion that there exists a "cake culture."

Ah, you beat me to this point. It was still worth making again.
This discussion has been closed.