Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Dazzler21 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Relser wrote: »
    Your family should not be forced to diet with you- it's no one's fault but your own if you sit there and eat an entire bag of chips or sleeve of cookies. Just because you have no self control doesn't mean your partner/kids should get punished.

No but if a family has a shred of compassion for the one dieting they would support them and not blame them...

I didn't see mention of blame.

Support <>giving up the stuff they want/love

"it's no one's fault but your own if you sit there and eat an entire bag of chips or sleeve of cookies. Just because you have no self control doesn't mean your partner/kids should get punished..."

Really?

When people don't understand that removing junk food from a diet is a huge benefit and not a punishment it always makes me raise a concerned look.

giphy.gif

If a person or family eats a primarily nutrient dense diet, but has things like oreos or cheezits in the pantry available for consumption in moderation, what benefits would that family or person see if they no longer consume an oreo or two after dinner? Telling the family that those things will no longer be in the house, because one person has difficulty moderating them or has chosen to cut them out in favor of other food choices, you don't think that would be seen as a negative and unnecessary consequence for other family members?

While I agree that having an occasional treat of not-so-healthy food is not detrimental to health, I don't think I'd go so far as to say it's a negative consequence to not have it. Unless they live in a bubble or some type of commune away from general society, kids are going to eat junk food. Not having it in the house isn't going to stop that.

But, not having it in the house might make them see that as the norm. Then again, it might not. Hard to judge something like that but every parent should do what they feel is right, even if it differs from what I feel is right.

well my mom chose nutrient dense foods for 1 reason and 1 only...we were poor.

After a while when we weren't...there was a diabetic in the house so that made her choose differently as well so as to not impact him too much...

however we were allowed ice cream in the house, chips ahoy and the odd envelope of tang...but rarely my fav of fruitloops...or anything like that...anythign people would consider "unhealthy"

what impact did it have on us...we meaning all 7 of the kids (save the diabetic) got overweight...some obese..some are getting gastic bypass...why because yup we were told you want it you go buy it..and we did and we ate it all...we ate lots of nutrient dense foods as well...

food is fuel it is not healthy vs unhealthy...it's the amount that is eaten that is unhealthy...allowing for treats in the house can allow for people to learn to moderate..

for example my son at 14 I let him drink reasonable amounts under my supervision...as he grew he learned to moderate and hardly drinks at all now...where as a lot of my family are daily drinkers...even some alcoholics...so yes not allowing for this can have adverse effects.

Okay. There are just as many examples of the opposite reactions.

could be but human nature says you want what you are denied or as kids told is bad...esp if you never get it...or so rarely that it can be counted on 1 hand....

I dunno i want whats easy and in my house. Thats the world we live in. Easy and fast is what we reach for. If kids have all the "bad" foods within easy reach thats what they learn to grab for. Like really what kid is going to pick an apple over a chocolate bar unless thats what they get taught to reach for.

If its not there to grab they wont grab it. Seems pretty simple to me. No ones saying to tell them its bad or they cant have it just not agreeing with having it so easily within reach constantly just because kids like it. Of course they like it, Doesnt mean i HAVE to buy it for them whenever i shop. Id be the adult itd be my job to make good choices.

Again not saying to never have it around but seems like kids would have way less obesity problems if parents would stop buying them everything they want and teach them to reach for healthy snacks.

Can argue both extremes it should be all about middle ground i guess. Not smacking chocolate bars our of kids hands and shoving an orange in it. But teaching kids to reach for the healthier versions and to consider the lesser healthy options either a special occasion or something to work for i cant see how that can be argued against- Seeing how most of us on here have struggled with weight issues why would we teach our kids to be the same way?

Kids have parents there when they are reaching for food.

We raised our kids in a way to not interfere with their hunger signals, so we weren't very strict with making them wait for meal times or forcing them to eat if they weren't hungry.

We had both healthy and "unhealthy" foods available to grab, but they were available to them with context.

They were taught that cookies and such were sometimes foods and came after the healthy foods which were always foods.

My kids are the only kids I know who will refuse candy, cookies, or cake. They've been known to eat half a cookie and stop because they're full.

So no, your whole idea if "it's not there, they won't grab it" didn't play out in our house. My kids were allowed to grab, within reason. Removing the allure of something being forbidden fruit made it not overly appealing to them.

I would bet that is not the norm. I would be curious if they refused this stuff when mom was around to know.

We have a similar approach as @GottaBurnEmAll . We talk about all the time foods and sometimes foods. My kids also have had giant shopping bags of halloween candy sitting on the floor in our kitchen, largely untouched since the 31st, because they just aren't that into it. They will have one small piece in their lunch box when we pack lunches for school, sometimes a piece after dinner. We usually have half eating bags of skittles or m&ms in our pantry for weeks at a time because they eat a couple of pieces and then put it away. Now if I tell them I'm donating it or taking it to work, they balk a little, but it's more that they don't want to lose the option to have it. My oldest really isn't a sweets kid and is always the one at birthday parties who eats a half piece of cake and then says he's finished. My youngest has never asked for seconds on sweets. They do eat cereal like crazy, and I buy fruit loops and captain crunch but also things like raisin bran, protein cheerios, etc. But again, I don't really see that as unhealthy and it isn't as if they are gorging themselves because they are concerned it isn't going to be there - they eat that for breakfast and it takes a couple of bowls to fill them up.

I have no reason to think that they would behave differently when not in my presence. We have shelves in the basement where we keep packaged snacks for lunches and busy weekends when we are bouncing from one activity to another - things like goldfish, cheezits, vanilla wafers, teddy grahams, etc. They could go in and get stuff any time, but they don't. On the other hand, we've hosted play dates and I've gone downstairs to find crumpled wrappers and crumbs - when I've asked my kids about it they said that friend XYZ went crazy with the snacks because their mom doesn't let them have that stuff at home.

So I'm on the side of making it about good/bad or telling them that they can't have something except on super special occasions, creates more problems and opportunities for going overboard than just telling my kids that if they want a bag of teddy grahams now, that's fine, but after dinner they won't have dessert, or we will have fruit instead.

I did the sometimes food thing with my kids too. But I never kidded myself. I knew they would (and likely did) pig out on that stuff if given the chance.

I love how you think we're kidding ourselves, but it's just not true.

My son is more likely to pig out on goldfish, and my daughter's vice is cheese.

Both of them have a very low tolerance for sweet things and just tire of them after a reasonable portion.

I've seen it when we go on vacation and let the reins loose. They just stop.

Perhaps we are just talking about different subjects. I would consider goldfish in the same category as chips. I don't see junk food only as sweets.

I've just never met a kid that wouldn't shovel in junk food. Regardless of how much was in their house. It's not until they are older that what they learned at home kicks in. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I do not think it's the norm.

I just got back from my sister's house and my young nephew is allowed to get Goldfish and M&Ms when he wants to have some. I saw a small bowl of Goldfish sit on the counter for several hours after he ate about 10 of them and my sister eventually put them away. He was more interested in counting his M&Ms (he gets 5 or 6 at a time) than eating them. I think maybe he ate 15-20 total the three days I was there (I was spending most of my time with him because I was taking care of him while my sister focused on her new baby). Half the time he got some, he'd eat half and we'd collect up the rest after he wandered off and left them.

Some kids do shovel in junk food, I have no doubt of that. But I don't think it's a universal thing. My nephew isn't the first kid I've met who seems to treat it just like any other food. Of course, he is the same kid who took an hour to eat a piece of pizza, so I think it's fair to say that he just isn't incredibly food-motivated right now. Maybe he'll change in the future.

Is this a small child? If so, then this sounds completely normal to me. I was thinking more school age through puberty. But it's a pointless argument. Everyone's children are perfect eaters even when mom is not around.

Mine weren't. None of their friends were (though I now wonder how many of their parents thought they were). I've never known a kid that wouldn't overeat whatever junk food they loved best if given the chance. That's why parents don't give them the chance.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Your family should not be forced to diet with you- it's no one's fault but your own if you sit there and eat an entire bag of chips or sleeve of cookies. Just because you have no self control doesn't mean your partner/kids should get punished.

No but if a family has a shred of compassion for the one dieting they would support them and not blame them...

"it's no one's fault but your own if you sit there and eat an entire bag of chips or sleeve of cookies. Just because you have no self control doesn't mean your partner/kids should get punished..."

Really?

When people don't understand that removing junk food from a diet is a huge benefit and not a punishment it always makes me raise a concerned look.

giphy.gif

If a person or family eats a primarily nutrient dense diet, but has things like oreos or cheezits in the pantry available for consumption in moderation, what benefits would that family or person see if they no longer consume an oreo or two after dinner? Telling the family that those things will no longer be in the house, because one person has difficulty moderating them or has chosen to cut them out in favor of other food choices, you don't think that would be seen as a negative and unnecessary consequence for other family members?

While I agree that having an occasional treat of not-so-healthy food is not detrimental to health, I don't think I'd go so far as to say it's a negative consequence to not have it. Unless they live in a bubble or some type of commune away from general society, kids are going to eat junk food. Not having it in the house isn't going to stop that.

But, not having it in the house might make them see that as the norm. Then again, it might not. Hard to judge something like that but every parent should do what they feel is right, even if it differs from what I feel is right.

After a while when we weren't...there was a diabetic in the house so that made her choose differently as well so as to not impact him too much...

however we were allowed ice cream in the house, chips ahoy and the odd envelope of tang...but rarely my fav of fruitloops...or anything like that...anythign people would consider "unhealthy"

what impact did it have on us...we meaning all 7 of the kids (save the diabetic) got overweight...some obese..some are getting gastic bypass...why because yup we were told you want it you go buy it..and we did and we ate it all...we ate lots of nutrient dense foods as well...

food is fuel it is not healthy vs unhealthy...it's the amount that is eaten that is unhealthy...allowing for treats in the house can allow for people to learn to moderate..

for example my son at 14 I let him drink reasonable amounts under my supervision...as he grew he learned to moderate and hardly drinks at all now...where as a lot of my family are daily drinkers...even some alcoholics...so yes not allowing for this can have adverse effects.

could be but human nature says you want what you are denied or as kids told is bad...esp if you never get it...or so rarely that it can be counted on 1 hand....

I dunno i want whats easy and in my house. Thats the world we live in. Easy and fast is what we reach for. If kids have all the "bad" foods within easy reach thats what they learn to grab for. Like really what kid is going to pick an apple over a chocolate bar unless thats what they get taught to reach for.

If its not there to grab they wont grab it. Seems pretty simple to me. No ones saying to tell them its bad or they cant have it just not agreeing with having it so easily within reach constantly just because kids like it. Of course they like it, Doesnt mean i HAVE to buy it for them whenever i shop. Id be the adult itd be my job to make good choices.

Again not saying to never have it around but seems like kids would have way less obesity problems if parents would stop buying them everything they want and teach them to reach for healthy snacks.

Can argue both extremes it should be all about middle ground i guess. Not smacking chocolate bars our of kids hands and shoving an orange in it. But teaching kids to reach for the healthier versions and to consider the lesser healthy options either a special occasion or something to work for i cant see how that can be argued against- Seeing how most of us on here have struggled with weight issues why would we teach our kids to be the same way?

We raised our kids in a way to not interfere with their hunger signals, so we weren't very strict with making them wait for meal times or forcing them to eat if they weren't hungry.

We had both healthy and "unhealthy" foods available to grab, but they were available to them with context.

They were taught that cookies and such were sometimes foods and came after the healthy foods which were always foods.

My kids are the only kids I know who will refuse candy, cookies, or cake. They've been known to eat half a cookie and stop because they're full.

So no, your whole idea if "it's not there, they won't grab it" didn't play out in our house. My kids were allowed to grab, within reason. Removing the allure of something being forbidden fruit made it not overly appealing to them.

I would bet that is not the norm. I would be curious if they refused this stuff when mom was around to know.

We have a similar approach as @GottaBurnEmAll . We talk about all the time foods and sometimes foods. My kids also have had giant shopping bags of halloween candy sitting on the floor in our kitchen, largely untouched since the 31st, because they just aren't that into it. They will have one small piece in their lunch box when we pack lunches for school, sometimes a piece after dinner. We usually have half eating bags of skittles or m&ms in our pantry for weeks at a time because they eat a couple of pieces and then put it away. Now if I tell them I'm donating it or taking it to work, they balk a little, but it's more that they don't want to lose the option to have it. My oldest really isn't a sweets kid and is always the one at birthday parties who eats a half piece of cake and then says he's finished. My youngest has never asked for seconds on sweets. They do eat cereal like crazy, and I buy fruit loops and captain crunch but also things like raisin bran, protein cheerios, etc. But again, I don't really see that as unhealthy and it isn't as if they are gorging themselves because they are concerned it isn't going to be there - they eat that for breakfast and it takes a couple of bowls to fill them up.

I have no reason to think that they would behave differently when not in my presence. We have shelves in the basement where we keep packaged snacks for lunches and busy weekends when we are bouncing from one activity to another - things like goldfish, cheezits, vanilla wafers, teddy grahams, etc. They could go in and get stuff any time, but they don't. On the other hand, we've hosted play dates and I've gone downstairs to find crumpled wrappers and crumbs - when I've asked my kids about it they said that friend XYZ went crazy with the snacks because their mom doesn't let them have that stuff at home.

So I'm on the side of making it about good/bad or telling them that they can't have something except on super special occasions, creates more problems and opportunities for going overboard than just telling my kids that if they want a bag of teddy grahams now, that's fine, but after dinner they won't have dessert, or we will have fruit instead.

I did the sometimes food thing with my kids too. But I never kidded myself. I knew they would (and likely did) pig out on that stuff if given the chance.

Both of them have a very low tolerance for sweet things and just tire of them after a reasonable portion.

Perhaps we are just talking about different subjects. I would consider goldfish in the same category as chips. I don't see junk food only as sweets.

I've just never met a kid that wouldn't shovel in junk food. Regardless of how much was in their house. It's not until they are older that what they learned at home kicks in. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I do not think it's the norm.

I think it is the norm for kids whose parents taught them about proper nutrition etc. instead of elimination etc.

my son is the same way...he could care less most of the time....

and really wasn't one to eat lots...it wasn't until he was out working he thought he was moving enough but he wasn't and he gained...mind you he lost it easy enough...he just moves more now.

Well that does sounds abnormal to me. In my experience boys, especially, tend to go in spurts. They either eat everything in site, or they eat very little.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Really?

giphy.gif

I just got back from my sister's house and my young nephew is allowed to get Goldfish and M&Ms when he wants to have some. I saw a small bowl of Goldfish sit on the counter for several hours after he ate about 10 of them and my sister eventually put them away. He was more interested in counting his M&Ms (he gets 5 or 6 at a time) than eating them. I think maybe he ate 15-20 total the three days I was there (I was spending most of my time with him because I was taking care of him while my sister focused on her new baby). Half the time he got some, he'd eat half and we'd collect up the rest after he wandered off and left them.

Some kids do shovel in junk food, I have no doubt of that. But I don't think it's a universal thing. My nephew isn't the first kid I've met who seems to treat it just like any other food. Of course, he is the same kid who took an hour to eat a piece of pizza, so I think it's fair to say that he just isn't incredibly food-motivated right now. Maybe he'll change in the future.

Is this a small child? If so, then this sounds completely normal to me. I was thinking more school age through puberty. But it's a pointless argument. Everyone's children are perfect eaters even when mom is not around.

Mine weren't. None of their friends were (though I now wonder how many of their parents thought they were). I've never known a kid that wouldn't overeat whatever junk food they loved best if given the chance. That's why parents don't give them the chance.

He is pretty young and it's true that he could change as he gets older.

But my experience with my siblings (I'm the oldest and I took care of several of them) is that all kids aren't equally into "junk food." I mean, some of my siblings had things they liked, but not all of them would eat unreasonable portions whenever they got the chance (and, of course, some of them would eat way too much of certain foods if they got the chance and they would have to be watched).

I'm not sure why the idea that children, just like adults, are individuals and respond to food in different ways (especially given the variety of their home lives and exposure to different foods) is so objectionable to you. Nobody is arguing that *all children* are this way, just pointing out that some seem to be.

And if the response is "those parents are just lying to themselves," I guess that can be used to shut down just about any argument. But it doesn't seem reasonable. The parents in this thread that are sharing their various observations -- it seems less reasonable to me to conclude that they don't have accurate observations of their own children or that they are blatantly lying to us here than it does to conclude that children behave in a wide variety of ways (and can even change as they develop).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited November 2017
    Options

Really?

giphy.gif

But my experience with my siblings (I'm the oldest and I took care of several of them) is that all kids aren't equally into "junk food." I mean, some of my siblings had things they liked, but not all of them would eat unreasonable portions whenever they got the chance (and, of course, some of them would eat way too much of certain foods if they got the chance and they would have to be watched).

I'm not sure why the idea that children, just like adults, are individuals and respond to food in different ways (especially given the variety of their home lives and exposure to different foods) is so objectionable to you. Nobody is arguing that *all children* are this way, just pointing out that some seem to be.

And if the response is "those parents are just lying to themselves," I guess that can be used to shut down just about any argument. But it doesn't seem reasonable. The parents in this thread that are sharing their various observations -- it seems less reasonable to me to conclude that they don't have accurate observations of their own children or that they are blatantly lying to us here than it does to conclude that children behave in a wide variety of ways (and can even change as they develop).

I never said anyone was lying to themselves. We have a couple of parents whose children may not be the norm. That would not change the norm, if I am right about the norm.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Really?

giphy.gif

I would bet that is not the norm. I would be curious if they refused this stuff when mom was not around to know.

If we are talking about little kids (not teens), we had sweet foods around usually when I was a kid, but I never just grabbed food, and neither did my sister. We weren't allowed to just eat stuff without asking. My mom would often say "have an apple if you are hungry," and I don't particular recall us begging for sweets in general.

When I was a teen we'd maybe grab something sweet after school (and maybe a non sweet snack -- I recall having cheese and crackers). That sweet stuff was there didn't mean we went crazy.

I don't really keep sweets around the house now, since I'm not that interested in them, although I enjoy baking and homebaked foods on occasion (like a holiday). My sister has no sweet tooth at all (and she totally did as a kid, loved sugary cereal).

My mom didn't buy soda, though, and I was never interested in soda as forbidden fruit (but it wasn't, we weren't a family where we weren't allowed to eat unhealthy foods, it just wasn't something kids drank in our house).

I'm sure it's all individual, but I don't buy the idea that if you have high cal treats in the home that the kids will be grabbing and eating them, let alone that they will be eating lots of them (as jayed miss seemed to be saying). That was not my experience.

(I have no opinion on whether others with kids should have treats in their house. Their deal. But having sweets does not mean the kids are taught to eat them indiscriminately. I find it more shocking how many people claim they never ate vegetables growing up.)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm sure it's all individual, but I don't buy the idea that if you have high cal treats in the home that the kids will be grabbing and eating them, let alone that they will be eating lots of them (as jayed miss seemed to be saying). That was not my experience.

I don't buy that either. Well, I do with some as I know kids who will do this at home (because they are not taught not to, which does back up my theory). I thought I made it pretty clear that I was not talking about what children do when under the watchful eye of parents who have taught them good food rules. But maybe I did not.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Really?

giphy.gif

Human nature also says that if you are continually fed those calorie dense foods it becomes a habit. The point I think most people are trying to make is that these foods do not need to be in the house all the time. It is okay to have them occasionally and in moderation.

so is it calorie dense or is it unhealthy that you don't like? because it was about healthy not weight at first.

I have nothing against calorie dense foods...in moderation. I think it's safe to say that most people don't like to be unhealthy. I also think it depends on your definition of "unhealthy". In my opinion eating too many calorie dense foods is unhealthy. Having those calorie dense foods in moderation can be a part of a healthy lifestyle. When I made my first comment I stated that I was not dieting but changing to a healthy lifestyle, therefore I am not forcing my family to diet.

so the following foods are only in moderation at your house then? Yes

butter
    peanut butter
    oils
    seeds/nuts
    dark chocolate
    dried fruits
    pasta
    avocado
    beef
    duck
    pizza
    granola
    hummus
    fruit juice

and regardless eating calorie dense food everyday is not unhealthy... I eat calorie dense foods everyday...in moderation.

healthy <> low calorie
    healthy lifestyle = balance.

okay so what is defined as "too many" or "too much" then? as you said eating "too many" is unhealthy?

because daily could be seen as continually which in your opinion means a habit will be formed for calorie dense foods. And if you eat them daily how is it that you said they don't need to be in the house all the time????

I see a progression with you from unhealthy food not being in your house to calorie dense not being in your house to I eat calorie dense foods everyday....

What is an unhealthy food? I have never called anything an unhealthy food.

you said too many calorie dense foods was unhealthy...

This is true. Eating too many calorie dense foods is unhealthy. That doesn't mean that calorie dense foods are "unhealthy".

right and that was my point...but you went from "unhealthy food" (you never gave an example of what was unheathy just that if your family wanted something not deemed healthy you were not buying it) not being in your house to "calories dense" not being in your house to eating them everyday in moderation...so I asked what do you define at too many or too much??? another question left unanswered...

and you did say that eating calorie dense foods continually will cause habits to form...but you eat them everyday...so yah confused as to the rules you follow except you don't diet...that is loud and clear.

eating too much of anything is unhealthy....

When did I ever say that I do not let calorie dense foods in my house?

wow okay phrases like "eating calorie dense foods continually forms habits" therefore they do not need to be in the house all the time....need to be spelled out okay.

So again let me see if I can get this typed out correctly.....

you went from not having calorie dense food in your house "continually" and available as it can form habits...to eating calorie dense foods everyday.

You are not seeing the forest for the trees here you are too busy only reading parts of what I am saying and focusing in on a few words/sentences that you deem invalid.

So be it.

I have asked a couple questions more than once and you choose not to answer or even go back and read them when I reference them again so your the confusion created by the things you have said can't get clarification so whatever...

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Really?

giphy.gif

I never said anyone was lying to themselves. We have a couple of parents whose children may not be the norm. That would not change the norm, if I am right about the norm.

I apologize, I misunderstood you when you made the comment about "kidding yourself."
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Really?

giphy.gif

Human nature also says that if you are continually fed those calorie dense foods it becomes a habit. The point I think most people are trying to make is that these foods do not need to be in the house all the time. It is okay to have them occasionally and in moderation.

so is it calorie dense or is it unhealthy that you don't like? because it was about healthy not weight at first.

I have nothing against calorie dense foods...in moderation. I think it's safe to say that most people don't like to be unhealthy. I also think it depends on your definition of "unhealthy". In my opinion eating too many calorie dense foods is unhealthy. Having those calorie dense foods in moderation can be a part of a healthy lifestyle. When I made my first comment I stated that I was not dieting but changing to a healthy lifestyle, therefore I am not forcing my family to diet.

so the following foods are only in moderation at your house then? Yes

butter
    peanut butter
    oils
    seeds/nuts
    dark chocolate
    dried fruits
    pasta
    avocado
    beef
    duck
    pizza
    granola
    hummus
    fruit juice

and regardless eating calorie dense food everyday is not unhealthy... I eat calorie dense foods everyday...in moderation.

healthy <> low calorie
    healthy lifestyle = balance.

okay so what is defined as "too many" or "too much" then? as you said eating "too many" is unhealthy?

because daily could be seen as continually which in your opinion means a habit will be formed for calorie dense foods. And if you eat them daily how is it that you said they don't need to be in the house all the time????

I see a progression with you from unhealthy food not being in your house to calorie dense not being in your house to I eat calorie dense foods everyday....

What is an unhealthy food? I have never called anything an unhealthy food.

you said too many calorie dense foods was unhealthy...

This is true. Eating too many calorie dense foods is unhealthy. That doesn't mean that calorie dense foods are "unhealthy".

right and that was my point...but you went from "unhealthy food" (you never gave an example of what was unheathy just that if your family wanted something not deemed healthy you were not buying it) not being in your house to "calories dense" not being in your house to eating them everyday in moderation...so I asked what do you define at too many or too much??? another question left unanswered...

and you did say that eating calorie dense foods continually will cause habits to form...but you eat them everyday...so yah confused as to the rules you follow except you don't diet...that is loud and clear.

eating too much of anything is unhealthy....

When did I ever say that I do not let calorie dense foods in my house?

To be fair, that's the kind of post that Reiser seemed to be talking about: having treats that you love in the house is not sabotaging your partner (as many seem to claim) and just because someone is dieting, their partner need not also diet. You responded and said you weren't dieting, but having a lifestyle change, and so you weren't forcing your family to diet, just not enabling an unhealthy lifestyle. Since Reiser's post seemed to be about people complaining about food being brought into the house, it seemed like you were saying it was valid to object to "unhealthy" food being brought in.

I understand that's not what you were saying, but given the context I think it makes sense that the discussion went in that direction.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Really?

giphy.gif

I apologize, I misunderstood you when you made the comment about "kidding yourself."

I never kidded myself. (it's all about me)
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Really?

giphy.gif

I would bet that is not the norm. I would be curious if they refused this stuff when mom was not around to know.

If we are talking about little kids (not teens), we had sweet foods around usually when I was a kid, but I never just grabbed food, and neither did my sister. We weren't allowed to just eat stuff without asking. My mom would often say "have an apple if you are hungry," and I don't particular recall us begging for sweets in general.

When I was a teen we'd maybe grab something sweet after school (and maybe a non sweet snack -- I recall having cheese and crackers). That sweet stuff was there didn't mean we went crazy.

I don't really keep sweets around the house now, since I'm not that interested in them, although I enjoy baking and homebaked foods on occasion (like a holiday). My sister has no sweet tooth at all (and she totally did as a kid, loved sugary cereal).

My mom didn't buy soda, though, and I was never interested in soda as forbidden fruit (but it wasn't, we weren't a family where we weren't allowed to eat unhealthy foods, it just wasn't something kids drank in our house).

(I have no opinion on whether others with kids should have treats in their house. Their deal. But having sweets does not mean the kids are taught to eat them indiscriminately. I find it more shocking how many people claim they never ate vegetables growing up.)

Was in response to people saying on a common occurnce their kids are asking for those things so they buy it for them, And argueing that not buying for them is somehow unreasonable and forcing "dieting" on them. Was simply stating that its not unreasonable to say no sometimes reach for something healthier. Was majoring in the minors making a point about being the parent, Not the child.

It is true though that -most- children would pick the junkier option but yes there are those who wouldnt overeat them-Which i never made the point- Sadly thats why we have an obesity problem in children becoming a bigger and bigger thing. It really is quite sad parents arent teaching their kids to moderate and choose healthy choices - Even my aunt who runs a lunch program at a public school is so clueless to health she recently replaced their apples with chocolate chip granola bars to save calories (it didnt) she legitimately thinks calories mean everything to health its kind of sad someone like her (who literally put butter in my coffee against my will to help me lose weight..?) Is in charge of childrens lunches.
  • lemurcat12
    edited November 2017
    Options

I don't buy that either. Well, I do with some as I know kids who will do this at home (because they are not taught not to, which does back up my theory). I thought I made it pretty clear that I was not talking about what children do when under the watchful eye of parents who have taught them good food rules. But maybe I did not.

We were latchkey kids (that term, how 80s!) and were home alone a lot, me from the time I was around 9 or 10. We did not get into the sweets and go nuts (and my parents probably would have known if we had). We also did not buy sweets, at least not often or in significant amounts (it was probably harder back then, however).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

We were latchkey kids (that term, how 80s!) and were home alone a lot, me from the time I was around 9 or 10. We did not get into the sweets and go nuts (and my parents probably would have known if we had). We also did not buy sweets, at least not often or in significant amounts (it was probably harder back then, however).

Bolded the important part.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

So basically you are saying that you believe that children are gorging themselves when there's no chance their parents will know about it, and since we can't know about it, then there's no way for us to prove that they aren't? That's some seriously circular logic...
  • lemurcat12
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Yes, of course (to Need2). But again we did not just eat sweets because they were there or sneak them elsewhere. The only thing I am objecting to is the idea that if you have sweets (or some other junk food) in the house kids will eat them to excess. Understanding basic food rules (which will vary by family, but for mine was basically you eat at specific times and mostly nutritious foods and treats are treats) is sufficient, you don't have to keep food off-limits physically for kids to develop an understanding of a proper way to eat.

Again, all I'm disagreeing with is the notion (not yours, I don't think) that if you have junk food in the house kids will eat it to excess or not develop healthy eating habits.

Edit: but I did not think "oh, if only mom did not know I'd eat more." By that point it was in my mind that one cookie was appropriate. We were home alone in the summer and would walk to a mall and I'd buy a book with my allowance. We could have bought candy or cookies without consequences and never did or even thought about it that I recall -- we weren't interested in sneaking food, no reason to.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

So basically you are saying that you believe that children are gorging themselves when there's no chance their parents will know about it, and since we can't know about it, then there's no way for us to prove that they aren't? That's some seriously circular logic...

IDK if I'd go as far as gorge. But yes. I think if children are in a situation where they think there won't be consequences that they will behave differently than when they believe they are.

I believe this is true with a number of behaviors in children.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Yes, of course. But again we did not just eat sweets because they were there or sneak them elsewhere. The only thing I am objecting to is the idea that if you have sweets (or some other junk food) in the house kids will eat them to excess. Understanding basic food rules (which will vary by family, but for mine was basically you eat at specific times and mostly nutritious foods and treats are treats) is sufficient, you don't have to keep food off-limits physically for kids to develop an understanding of a proper way to eat.

Again, all I'm disagreeing with is the notion (not yours, I don't think) that if you have junk food in the house kids will eat it to excess or not develop healthy eating habits.

My notion is that if left to their own devices, which ideally means not at home, they will choose whatever they find most pleasurable over what they think mom/dad might want them to choose. That is often not going to be what mom/dad would like them to choose in the amounts mom/dad would like them choose.

I do not believe children want to eat a balanced diet any more than they want to brush their teeth every morning or wash behind their ears.
This discussion has been closed.