Weight loss vs. life quality

Options

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    In my opinion, it really comes down to your activity level. I don't know your stats and which weights you consider to be vanity pounds, but I'm 5'3" and 113 pounds. I still lose weight slowly on 2000 calories, even though I'm not trying to lose weight anymore. I don't exercise like a maniac or anything. I exercise for 45 minutes to an hour or so five days per week and I get in a minimum of 10,000 steps per day. If I were sedentary, I'd only be able to eat like 1400 calories to maintain my weight. Just getting in movement allows me to maintain on 2100 to 2500 on average.

If you're not a naturally active person and/or have no desire to bump up your activity level and keep it there, maintaining a smaller weight is going to be a very mentally taxing process for you and I don't recommend it. Otherwise, I'd add some walking into the mix and I'd just be more aware of how much I'm moving.

This. Im still 180lbs (5'4") and suprisingly if I get in 10000-15000 steps I maintain somewhere around 2500 with no extra exercise, which makes sense against what she said. If I add exercise I can go up to 2700-3000 on some days. Without walking/exercise I am probably between 1600-1800.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    For me, I'm 5'6" and I've been stalled around 171 for several weeks now. I expect a "whoosh" soon, but May was a tough month with some traveling, mother's day, and my wedding anniversary--there were some maintenance and over-maintenance days snuck in there.

However, I'm at 171 after starting at 256 which blows my mind. If for some reason I could never lose more weight, I'd be fine with 171. I do still have a lot of fat, especially in my midsection, so getting down to 150 would really, truly be what I think is a 'healthy' weight for my stats. I can tell by the last month, though, that the only way it will happen is if I really increase activity. I'm eating at 1500 now and eat back only a few exercise calories to make sure I hit or slightly go over 1500. Now that it's summer, being active is easier (and I WANT to do things), but I see the active lifestyle as something I really have to do all the time in order to maintain what I've lost and lose the last 20lbs I'd like to get off.

It's gonna be HARD, but I've already achieved so much more than I thought I could--I might as well stay the course. :)
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Don't avoid the social stuff! Just eat your normal dinner, go out with friends and don't snack and if someone asks why you're not eating you can just say you're full. Or do what many do, which is get to a calorie deficit when you know you're going to go out, log the glass of wine as "dessert" before you go. You'll then have that glass of wine because you planned for it. My friends don't give me a hard time when I decide not to drink. For me, it's just too depressing to stay home.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Earing & exercise should not cause people stress. But that seems to be very common in both people who are overweight and fearful of what the right path is, as well as those who are lean and trying to get even more so. I'm fairly lean, and could certainly get leaner, but I'm lazy. I'm OK with where I am, and even though I don't think trying to get leaner would cause me stress, it would take more work & attention. Maybe someday I'll want to focus enough to see how far I can get.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    Do thin people like food less? I don't think so.

That's probably mostly true, but I do know a few people who just aren't really into food. I have a friend who says he "always forgets to eat" and has to carry protein bars with him, then force himself to eat them, so he won't lose too much weight. When he does eat he tends to be picky too, so maybe that has something to do with it. Even his favorites though, he doesn't seem driven to go eat them.

But yeah, most people love food, except for a few outliers.

What I wanted to say has already been said while I was away. I have become more picky, but in a good way. It can give the impression that I don't "like" food anymore, or "don't eat". But I don't just grab any food whenever an opportunity arises; I make a decision if this is something I want. I have more trust in the fact that I can eat almost anything anytime. I was just going to use the words "selective" and "meh". I pick my favorites. For meals, I have so many favorites now, that I have to spend some effort on planning to be able to go through them all. Regarding sweets and snacks, it's really "meh" for the most part.

I came to realize one thing the other day - even at my most "out of control" eating, I restricted myself. My realtionship with food was ambivalent. I believed I liked to eat a lot, but I hated the stuffed feeling. I wanted taste, but I was afraid of anything tasty (it must be unhealthy). I both loved and hated food.

Briefly observing a small child in the grocery store last week, scanning the candy shelf, obviously allowed by parent to pick a treat. He was deeply concentrated and calm, and seemed to really take the decison seriously. I couldn't help compare with myself in that same situation; I would have just grabbed something and chomped it down before my mother changed her mind.

Oh, and I forgot NEAT. Moving more on the daily. It can translate as not being so lazy, but I don't think of myself as less lazy now, I'm just more eager to move. I know it has an impact, over time, and at the same time, I don't fret over it.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    What I wanted to say has already been said while I was away. I have become more picky, but in a good way. It can give the impression that I don't "like" food anymore, or "don't eat". But I don't just grab any food whenever an opportunity arises; I make a decision if this is something I want. I have more trust in the fact that I can eat almost anything anytime. I was just going to use the words "selective" and "meh". I pick my favorites. For meals, I have so many favorites now, that I have to spend some effort on planning to be able to go through them all. Regarding sweets and snacks, it's really "meh" for the most part.

And this is good. Nobody's saying that everyone who is thin doesn't like food. But there do exist people who honest-to-goodness don't like food, would go for days without eating if they didn't remind themselves, etc. Those people are what I call "naturally thin". Because they hardly eat and it doesn't bother them. Would I trade places with them? Not in a million years! To find eating actively unpleasant would suck. (Not making this up. I really knew a woman like this in the last city I lived in.)
  • pbbananacoffeechocolate
    Options
    Can you find a type of movement that you love? Something social and fun? I pole dance and am surrounded by an amazing community at my studio, I've made so many great friends there. When exercise and your social life overlap, it is so much easier!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I still haven't lost the vanity pounds in 3 years (and gained a few more in the process). Because it's not worth depriving myself when I hang out with my friends - and healthier choices are not always available. I love food too much to deprive myself so I look thinner. I'm a healthy weight with a few extra rolls and I'll have to deal with that (my stomach looks so awful with the loose skin anyway, it's not like I'll ever achieve the look that I want).

Heck the only reason I've only gained 5 lbs back in that time is because I am very active. Most of the 'naturally thin' people I know (who have never had weight issues) are pretty active overall or really know how to stop eating after a few bites.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm technically at the vanity pounds stage, what works for me is having a weekly deficit (of around 2000 cals) instead of a daily one, which means some days I go over maintenance and some days when I'm working out hard I might be 800 cals below maintenance. During the week when I'm at work I find it alot easier to prelog and be at a decent deficit, Friday after work to Sunday I'm usually hovering at maintenance or over because of social gatherings and a less predictable schedule/easy access to the fridge.

Could you try setting a weekly deficit or possibly banking some of your exercise calories for days you might be going over your cals?

The only other thing I can suggest is just exercise more if you want to eat more. I'm the same, I enjoy my food and would find even a small deficit difficult without exercise cals too, so I try to walk a little more to get myself some extra cals. x
  • HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's basically going to come down to what you want more. ]

Yeah I guess. And for the vanity pounds - patience.

I'm starting to feel leaner, though it takes time at a small deficit. And it costs.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    OMG, I just realized I only have vanity pounds to shed now, and I have no vanity :D
    Happy B)
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have an office job but still get my 10k steps per day:

I commute using public transport where possible. (Public transport encourages more walking)

I take a long brisk walk at lunch.

I keep going for short walks around the office whenever possible.

I use the stairs instead of the lift where possible.

I use a bluetooth headset and will walk during audio conferences with a print out of the presentation in front of me.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    HM2206 wrote: »
    Get an activity tracker that will remind you to get up and move every hour. Increase your NEAT - more room for wine. Win- win!

I often want to move more during the day, but I have an office job so there is a limit to how much I get to move around.

How many steps a day does one have to make to get into the "lightly active" section?

I too have an office job, I make sure I get up every hour on the hour and go to the bathroom, I walk in place and get in about 250-350 steps in less than a minute then go back to my desk, I then take a walk on my 30 minute lunch break and walk just under 2 miles for another 4k steps. (rain, sleet or snow I am out there walking) I usually leave work with close to 8k steps and depending on if it is a zumba or treadmill night I usually end up with over 15k steps each day. I did not change my stats to "lightly active" it is still at sedentary as I spend the majority of the day sitting at my desk. I make sure that I get in plenty of protein and healthy fats during the day to keep me full and I certainly do not skimp on the adult beverages. We go camping every weekend and its is a drink fest so its a balance. I make sure that I get in my exercise/workout/walk so that I can fit in "life" as needed. If I know I am going somewhere on the weekend I plan my day around it. We are going out to dinner tomorrow night for a bday party and I already logged my meal so I can plan the rest of the day around it... If it is an impromptu gathering I just make sure that the next couple days I am tighter on my calories to make up for indulging... It doesn't have to be weight loss vs life quality, you can certainly have both with a little planning! Good luck and keep on pushing!!
  • HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Muana1005 wrote: »
    I have an office job but still get my 10k steps per day:

I commute using public transport where possible. (Public transport encourages more walking)

I take a long brisk walk at lunch.

I keep going for short walks around the office whenever possible.

I use the stairs instead of the lift where possible.

I use a bluetooth headset and will walk during audio conferences with a print out of the presentation in front of me.

I do all these things too - I might have to get a counter to keep track.

To my surprise I found out this morning that I have lost 1lb in the past week, which is more than I have set out to.

Need to count for fluctuations though, but at least 1600 a day seems to work.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    @KelGen02 - How long does your 2-mile walk leave you to actually eat your lunch?
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    We do have variety in humans for levels of salutation hormones, for tastes for food, for pleasure in eating, for enjoyment in moving. There's even variation in our metabolic rates, and compounded over time 100-200 calories a day can be significant.

Is entirely possible of you are chasing a weight you acknowledge to be simply vanity, that is, your weight is not impacting your physical health in any way, and any progress toward that weight requires obsession, isolation and great sacrifice, that you have an unrealistic expectation in your mind of what you should look like, or what you do look like.

Assess that, and then adjust your timeline for weight loss to 0.5 or even 0.25 lb/week and see how that goes over the next 3 months.