What's the best way to kick start a diet?

2»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    The best way to kickstart a diet is to approach it as something that doesn't need kickstarting. Kickstarting implies drive, motivation, and reliance on consistent weight drops. These things are fleeting, and the scale likes to play games. If at one point you find yourself without drive, motivation or weight change you are more likely to quit if these were the main glue holding your diet together. I would "kickstart" this diet by making your goal to learn about your personal habits that may stand in the way of successful weight management, and looking for ways to tweak them accordingly.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    My 'kickstart' was an obesity-related complication that gave me a weeping wound on my leg that took daily nursing visits and multiple courses of antibiotics to treat. (My veins refluxed, due to my legs being forced to carry more of me than they were designed to.) Doctor told me that the condition can be managed, not cured. But that weight loss would go a long way toward avoiding flare-ups. Believe me when I say that I do NOT want another flare-up.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    edited June 2017
    You don't need a kick start. Just start. Log your food.

When I first started it was hard to stay in my budget and I kept going over but after a few days or a week or so I got the hang of it and started figuring out which things were making me go over and how to swap them with other things, etc.