Fasting

Options
What's your opinion about fasting? Do you think it works? Have you ever done it? I would like to try it

Replies

• Locolady98
    Locolady98 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Ooooh.... nooooo! I've done it. I've done the Lemonade diet, and other types of fasting.

I tracked my weight during times I tried it, both leading up to, during, and after.

Always, in each and every case, there was rapid weight loss during, and then horrible rebound after leaving me weighing more than when I started.

I've heard some people talk about fasting during the day and eating only supper... Again, I wouldn't advise it.

There's a great book called "How to Make Almost Every Diet Work". It's on Amazon. The author explains exactly what fasting does to your brain chemicals, and how it really messes up your body's hunger signals, and why it's almost impossible not to put on even more weight after fasting.

So, that's my experience. It was a really bad idea. I've tried everything. Turns out there's no substitute for doing things the old fashioned way. Healthy diet, regular exercise.
  • nancy12trujillo
    nancy12trujillo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/20634-omad-revolution

Read the posts on this site. If you like what you see, join. It's awesome.

• JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I fast, but I am on a Keto / Low Carb diet. So my body uses its own stored fat for energy. Fasting keeps me burning that fat for fuel longer leading to more weight loss. I think if I was on a regular high carb diet the fasting would have the blood sugar levels plummeting and the hunger would be pretty intense. For me on a LCHF diet I dont get overly hungry.
  • nancy12trujillo
    nancy12trujillo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • tadashi75
    tadashi75 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've tried fasting in the past. you will lose weight but as soon as you stop the fasting the pounds pack right back on.
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    i do intermetent fasting (IF). i do the 16:8 version n that means i fast for 16 hrs n eat within n 8 hr window. its a lot easier than what people think coz it basically skipping bf. i stop eating at 9 or 10pm n dont eating until 1 or 2 next day. IF suppose to give me a high dose of HGH to help me with muscle gain n more chance for my system to burn fat. of course i still have to eat at a calorie deficit so its not like it is a magic pill BUT skipping bf allows me to eat 2 BIG meals everyday or reserve 1000 to 1200 whenever i m going out so i dont need to shy away from social events n able to stick with my MFP allowance. i also make me feel like that i m not on a 'diet' so i m overall happier. since IF, lve never had a bad week on keeping within my allowance.

hope this help!

PS my dairy is open

PS2 i wasnt on IF from day one so lve done calorie counting with n without IF. both work but i just found IF fits my lifestyle better n i dont do it everyday. i will eat small bf if i feel like it. the main thing is still CALORIC DEFICIT
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I've done short term (24 - 36 hrs) fasts many times for weight control. I usually eat less the day after fasting because after eating nothing (just tea and water) for so many hours I get full really easy. Before spring planting season came around I was fast every week from 10 p.m. Sunday night to around 10 a.m. on Tuesday morning. I like to eat a lot on the weekends so this helped maintain my loss.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    tadashi75 wrote: »
    I've tried fasting in the past. you will lose weight but as soon as you stop the fasting the pounds pack right back on.

You always need a maintenance strategy with every diet. But yeah it's not a good fit for many.

5:2 is one method of intermittent fasting where you eat 500 calories 2 days a week and maintenance the other 5. Then when you reach goal, you use the 500 calorie days to maintain. Whether you eat 500 calories once every two weeks or once a week depends upon how well you have everything under control.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

As far as keto using fat stores (JohnnyLowCarb) EVERY diet relies on the calories you take in for energy and then fat stores and/or existing lean muscle mass for fuel. For me, my fuel of preference is a combination of carbs and dietary fat. But I am not producing fat stores when I'm eating at a deficit....carbs or no carbs.