What to eat when you need chocolate

Options
ElphabaWeasley
ElphabaWeasley Posts: 47 Member
My biggest hurdle when it comes to eating healthy and staying on track is everyday about 2 hours before I get off of work (we slow down and I get bored, plus tired from earlier in the day) I crave something chocolatey. I work in a pharmacy so I usually go out and grab a box of candy and easily eat 400+ extra calories. Do you all have any ideas of chocolate treats I could make each week to pack and prepare for this slump towards the end of the day? I thought about frozen grapes as a substitute (not chocolate, but still very sweet) but I cannot use the freezer at work for food. I appreciate any ideas and do not have any allergies or dietary restrictions. Thanks guys!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Nothing beats chocolate.

How about a puffed wheat square? It calls for real syrup but if you can forgive that it's 90 calories each. I add protein powder to my home made version.

Or how about a Premier Protein bar?
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    unsweetened cocoa powder is only 20 cals for 6 grams.... enough to make a cup of chocolate milk. Double that and it's enough to make a little mug cake with some protein powder apple sauce and baking powder. You could even just get a regular candy bar and eat small portions.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    @ElphabaWeasley When you "need" chocolate, eat chocolate. BUT control the portion size.

This. If I feel like I need chocolate, nothing else will do... if I try to substitute something else sweet, I'll still want the chocolate and probably end up consuming more calories overall. I found that the sweeter the chocolate is, the more of it I want, so an 82% dark brand is my go-to these days! I can just have one square, maybe two, and it's easy to fit into my day.

I've never tried the Dove chocolates but a lot of people say they like them, and being individually-wrapped they have inbuilt portion control! The Swiss Delice pieces are the same kind of thing, I guess... I've had those and they're good. The Fudgsicles are also great, but if you don't have access to a freezer that's not really an option!
  • ardissearle
    ardissearle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a chocolate pudding cup
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I still have dark chocolate mini eggs from Easter. I eat one or 2 of those to hit the spot.
  • FlattoPhat
    FlattoPhat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Eat a little chocolate! I have chocolate most every day.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I like to have dark chocolate kisses on hand. I pop one in my mouth and just let it melt instead of chewing. 1 kiss is 20 calories.
    Whatever you get try to slowly savor smaller portions.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Chocolate! I was a serious chocoholic at one time. I made the switch to dark chocolate. A small piece is all I need to fulfill my craving. I don't crave milk chocolate anymore.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Individually wrapped Ghirardelli dark chocolates are good. 50-70 calories each, depending on the flavor. I like sea salt soiree, which has some crushed almonds and sea salt.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    laur357 wrote: »
    Individually wrapped Ghirardelli dark chocolates are good. 50-70 calories each, depending on the flavor. I like sea salt soiree, which has some crushed almonds and sea salt.

Have you tried to the Dark Cherry Tango? SO good.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    mini dove ice cream bars are my current obsession
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live, there are some chocolates that have high cacao content (e.g. dark chocolate) and are low in carbs / sugar and come in tins (an example would be Trader Joe's Extra Dark Chocolate Wedges are in round tins with pie shaped wedges - 2 wedges are 80 calories).

I eat one (40 calories) with a tablespoon (95 calories) of Trader Joe's Creamy Salted Peanut Butter (I like it because it has few additives and there is no sugar added).

The added fat (I am a low carb & sugar / high fat kind of girl) generally hits all the right notes and stops my craving right there. That said, even if you ate a whole serving of each that's 270 calories - still a huge savings on what you have been eating. The peanut butter has to be refrigerated or it will go rancid and you have to stir the oil into it. I like it and prefer it over the what the stores usually carry.

If you are having an afternoon slump, I would suggest looking at your lunches / breakfasts and see if by lowering your carbs / sugar (and compensate by adding fat and protein) if that helps.

Here is a website that turns American Dietary Guidelines on its head:
    https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/abcs-of-nutrition/dietary-guidelines/
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    My biggest hurdle when it comes to eating healthy and staying on track is everyday about 2 hours before I get off of work (we slow down and I get bored, plus tired from earlier in the day) I crave something chocolatey. I work in a pharmacy so I usually go out and grab a box of candy and easily eat 400+ extra calories. Do you all have any ideas of chocolate treats I could make each week to pack and prepare for this slump towards the end of the day? I thought about frozen grapes as a substitute (not chocolate, but still very sweet) but I cannot use the freezer at work for food. I appreciate any ideas and do not have any allergies or dietary restrictions. Thanks guys!

Don't buy the whole box.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Or if you are only tempted while at work, then do buy the whole box, and pack just 1-2 pieces.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I either do: a small pudding cup (110 calories) this is typically my dessert. Or I do a greek yogurt like Chobani, my favorite is the smores one. Its 180 calories, 12G protein, has chocolate chips in it, to satisfy the chocolate craving and keeps me full during for a few hours.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Fudgecicle, chocolate pudding... I eat 2 pieces of individually wrapped dark chocolate pieces (85 cals) every night