What to eat when you need chocolate

Options

Replies

• runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Another for the dark chocolate, I like 85-90%.

However, when I changed to cut back on carbs at lunch time I found I didn't get that afternoon slump. I'm not on that roller coaster of sugar highs. I just cut back, I'm not low carb. Taking a higher protein or fat snack a little before when this craving noemally hits can help too, eg Greek yoghurt, small portion of nuts, etc...

Now when it happens to me, tend to be stress.....still working on that, but much improved!
  • Etsar73
    Etsar73 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I second dark chocolate. I don't typically like it but l love Lindt flavoured ones like intense orange and salted caramel. I have 2 squares a day and because it's so rich l can't eat much of it but it really is satisfyingly good for a chocolate fix. Milk chocolate makes me struggle as l could eat a big block in one sitting. Only keep dark in the house.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Like others, I eat 2-3 Dove Dark Chocolate Promises or a few squares of 78% dark chocolate to satisfy my chocolate cravings. I also make a chocolate iced coffee every morning by adding three quarters of a scoop of chocolate whey protein powder. You have to dissolve the protein powder in a small amount of water before adding the ice and coffee. Sometimes for a snack I will have a chocolate protein bar (Pure Protein Deluxe Chocolate and Chewy Chocolate Chip and Think Thin Brownie Crunch are my favorites), but they are 180-230 calories each, so you have to budget for it. I also like the idea of adding cocoa and stevia to Greek yogurt. I have not tried this, but I definitely will.
  • TheHealthyYoshi
    TheHealthyYoshi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    unsweetened cocoa powder is only 20 cals for 6 grams.... enough to make a cup of chocolate milk. Double that and it's enough to make a little mug cake with some protein powder apple sauce and baking powder. You could even just get a regular candy bar and eat small portions.

This has helped me a lot! You can even sprinkle some on your morning oatmeal :)
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Yup, discovering that unsweetened cocoa is low calorie and healthy (lots of fiber and fats) changed everything for me. Anything that needs flavor is now a potential victim for a tablespoon or two of cocoa. A little bit goes a long way too!

You can put it in

french toast batter

pancake batter

make chocolate milk

home made hot cocoa

mix with peanut butter

mix with whey protein

mix in yogurt or cottage cheese

Basically anything. Mix with a little bit of water and coconut oil to make syrup for halo top :):)
  • chellycakes
    chellycakes Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Try the blogger chocolate covered Katie! She makes a lot of yummy recipes that arnt full of guilt.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I usually have a Kirkland double chocolate protein bar at about 3:30pm because I get snacky and I am always trying to piggy back snacks and protein. It works for me.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    If I want chocolate, I eat dark chocolate. I like the 72% dark and up. :)
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    When you want chocolate, eat chocolate just make sure it fits into your calories... My favorite go to chocolate snack are these fudge bars... they are big and only 100 calories.

nhrxxkkgfp64.jpg
  • SaritaWolf
    SaritaWolf Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I buy weight watcher ice cream to help. Also, same as above, I buy the individually wrapped dark chocolate.

My last trick is hot chocolate as well. It takes a while to drink so it last longer. You can buy lower calorie types. Then, you are basically drinking water too.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    laur357 wrote: »
    Individually wrapped Ghirardelli dark chocolates are good. 50-70 calories each, depending on the flavor. I like sea salt soiree, which has some crushed almonds and sea salt.

Have you tried to the Dark Cherry Tango? SO good.

I love cherry and chocolate. I need to find these! I'm a little stuck on dark chocolate salted caramel right now.
  • KayHBE
    KayHBE Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I have 2 squares of a dark chocolate bar every work day.... Then shortly after I have either some apple or gum or brush my teeth. If I don't clear my palate I will crave/want more. This works well for me and look forward to my "almost time to go home snack" about 3:00pm.
  • ruthhowellwriter
    ruthhowellwriter Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have a chocolate addiction and I can't just eat once piece. For me, the only solution is not eating any at all. When I want something sweet I eat a couple of fig newtons.... I know.... yuck....but since I don't love them, I don't tend to pig out on them. They're not chocolate, but so far it's working for me.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I have a chocolate addiction and I can't just eat once piece. For me, the only solution is not eating any at all. When I want something sweet I eat a couple of fig newtons.... I know.... yuck....but since I don't love them, I don't tend to pig out on them. They're not chocolate, but so far it's working for me.

You might like think thin super fruit and protein bars. Same chewy fruity texture with much better ingredients. Honestly might be even better than fig Newtons flavor wise
  • ElphabaWeasley
    ElphabaWeasley Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for so many more great suggestions! Hot Cocoa sounds like a good idea. While my PIC has her afternoon cup of coffee I can make some hot cocoa. I would love to do fudge-sicles or ice cream bars but alas no freezer at work for food. I will definitely keep them in mind for home though.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    unsweetened cocoa powder is only 20 cals for 6 grams.... enough to make a cup of chocolate milk. Double that and it's enough to make a little mug cake with some protein powder apple sauce and baking powder. You could even just get a regular candy bar and eat small portions.

This has helped me a lot! You can even sprinkle some on your morning oatmeal :)

Yes, I did this the other day along with powdered peanut butter and stevia. It was like eating a giant no bake cookie.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    My favorite healthy chocolate snack recipe:

Take 25-30 fresh raspberries. Stick a chocolate chip (I love the dark chocolate ones) in the hollow center of each raspberry.

Easy, healthy, low-calorie and cures me of my chocolate cravings.
  • stacyeelee
    stacyeelee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been on a paleo diet consistently for about 4 months now. I have found that when I'm craving chocolate (which is almost daily) I mash up 1/2 avocado and mix it with 1T cacao powder, 1 T coconut manna and about 1 T honey. Very rich and filling and totally fixes my chocolate cravings... and it's really good for you!
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Hot chocolate. The type that you just mix with water usually comes in at around 40 calories and gives me my sugar rush. Sometimes I will add a dash of milk to cool it down a bit and make it creamier.
  • Tolamarie
    Tolamarie Posts: 5,103 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried black bean brownies? You can Google several variations of the recipe and pick the one that sounds best. I haven't made them in a while, but as I recall they were quite good. You could cut them into the desired serving size, freeze them, and then take one for lunch each day.