Soda Replacement

Options
oddjenn
oddjenn Posts: 4 Member
Ok, so I'd like to preface this by saying that I am a Midwestern girl whose father works at a Pepsi and Budweiser distribution center. Pepsi and Mountain Dew were consumed in scary large doses growing up.

I understand how awful that soda is.

Empty calories, tons of sugar.

However, I still like to have something sweet and bubbly every now and then. I usually go for a more "Natural" soda (like Dry brand's Lavender flavor) or a Sparkling Ice.

But are those bubbly, sweet waters any better for you than soda; besides Calorie wise? I try to drink mostly water and unsweetened Iced tea or coffee with a splash of milk. But the carbonation...it calls to me...

Replies

• kincharles
    kincharles Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    flavored sparkling water does it for me when I want a soda (and very rarely a diet soda will make it into me). The water has no calories and, generally speaking, not enough sugar/sodium to be noted on the nutrition label. Local store chain has a line of sparkling water that tastes almost sweet enough to be like soda, but not nearly as empty calorie bomb.
  • iheartmakeup01
    iheartmakeup01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Pierre flavored water, no added sodium or sugars. I like Coke Zero too
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Kombucha, when stored in a sealed container, is supposed to be fizzy. 8 oz is 30 calories.
    Coffee, black, is 0 or maybe 1 calories per 8 oz.
    Some people use Mio to add zero calorie flavor to water.
    Of course, water is an outstanding substitute for sugar solution.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Loving LaCroix, at least some of the flavors. Some are pretty gross.
  • littlebrittlifts
    littlebrittlifts Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Could you not just do a diet? My ex would order diets/zeros whenever he got soda. He was pretty conscious of not drinking his calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Diet Cherry Pepsi. My go to and I've been drinking it for over 25+ years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas for me as well.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke/Diet Dr. Pepper for me.
  • oddjenn
    oddjenn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    "The only argument someone may give you about those diet drinks that artificial sweeteners are really bad for your health. They are some of the most tested stuff when it comes to food/beverage products. They are safe. For one if they weren't we'd have a cancer epidemic on our hands already from diet soda similar to cancer sticks."

I feel really ignorant not thinking of it like that before, because yes, for years I have been lead to believe that aspartame=the devil's sweetener.
  • aylamarcos
    aylamarcos Posts: 5 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Many people don't like it but I absolutely love Zevia. About 5 different flavors, my favorite is Dr Zevia.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    oddjenn wrote: »
    "The only argument someone may give you about those diet drinks that artificial sweeteners are really bad for your health. They are some of the most tested stuff when it comes to food/beverage products. They are safe. For one if they weren't we'd have a cancer epidemic on our hands already from diet soda similar to cancer sticks."

I feel really ignorant not thinking of it like that before, because yes, for years I have been lead to believe that aspartame=the devil's sweetener.

A good read to get you started on the right path (written by a molecular biologist): http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1
  • Rognvaldr
    Rognvaldr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Try Hintfizz. https://www.drinkhint.com

Also, diet sodas are fine. Just look for the ones sweetened with splenda rather than aspertame.
  • Courtney42317
    Courtney42317 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Zevia soda and waters are amazing!
  • Hichiko
    Hichiko Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Zevia is probably my favorite brand of no-calorie sodas. They take some getting used to, as far as the taste goes. I'm a huge fan of their strawberry soda, but I'll also still fall back on Diet Coke - it was my caffeine crutch for years, and it's always hard cutting it completely from my diet.
  • masaku_88
    masaku_88 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    A diet soda once in a while wont kill you, but knocking back several every day is definitely not good for you. Moderation.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Loved the flavor of the old Zevia but it had erythritol in it.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I rather enjoy diet sodas - usually 3-4 a week, depending. I also love cherry flavored carbonated water.
  • bringingsexyback2007
    bringingsexyback2007 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    oddjenn wrote: »
    Ok, so I'd like to preface this by saying that I am a Midwestern girl whose father works at a Pepsi and Budweiser distribution center. Pepsi and Mountain Dew were consumed in scary large doses growing up.

I understand how awful that soda is.

Empty calories, tons of sugar.

However, I still like to have something sweet and bubbly every now and then. I usually go for a more "Natural" soda (like Dry brand's Lavender flavor) or a Sparkling Ice.

But are those bubbly, sweet waters any better for you than soda; besides Calorie wise? I try to drink mostly water and unsweetened Iced tea or coffee with a splash of milk. But the carbonation...it calls to me...

My go to is also Sparkling Ice. I agree with A&W Diet Rootbeer below as well. I feel it taste the most like the original than any other diet. Coke Zero I feel taste better than regular Diet Coke as well.