Pop (or soda): should I cut it out of my diet?

Options
13»

Replies

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I'm working on changing my eating habits, trying to eat less saturated fats, more proteins, etc. That being said, a lot of calories and sugars come from pop (soda) I've always loved the bubbly side of the carbonated beverages, but as I've gotten older, I've found that the caffeine in it helps a lot with preventing my barometric migraines. I've tried coffee and tea for the caffeine but it just doesn't work as well. At this point I've managed to cut down to only one pop a day. At the moment my pop of choice is Mt. Dew Voltage and it has 170 calories per can. Is there another caffinated pop that would be better for me to drink, or should I bear through the migraines and try to find a caffeine supplement.

Diet. Heck I have not drank sugared sodas in over 30 years.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    The only thing I gave up completely when I started losing weight was regular Pepsi. I probably drank 2litres of the stuff per day. I avoided diet soda for a while and subbed in sparkling water. After some time, I did add back diet soda because I really do like the 'brown bubbly soda sweet.'

The reason I gave it up is I just couldn't reasonably keep it in my diet and meet my calorie goals. I'd rather eat FOOD than drink my calories.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    As a side note: How are your teeth?
    A cousin of mine did a few years of the typical computer programmer "Live on Mt. Dew" thing - and wound up with thousands of dollars of dental work. Dentist said that dentists actually talk about "Mountain Dew Mouth," and its not just the sugar, its the acid.

Is the fizz really worth it?
  • kelsiestoner
    kelsiestoner Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I used to drink soda all day every day and now I've cut down to just one to help with my headaches. Going well so far, I'm not sure if I want to switch to diet though.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    A cousin of mine did a few years of the typical computer programmer "Live on Mt. Dew" thing - and wound up with thousands of dollars of dental work. Dentist said that dentists actually talk about "Mountain Dew Mouth," and its not just the sugar, its the acid.

mt dew mouth also is caused by not taking care of your teeth properly(brushing,flossing,etc). if you are taking care of your teeth then sugar wont be much of an issue, now if you have bad genetics and bad teeth no matter what you do then you are screwed. my nephew when he was younger had to have all his baby teeth pulled because of MT dew mouth,his mom did not encourage brushing and flossing.

his older brother now has bad teeth because of not brushing and flossing and drinking lots of soda. any food can cause decay if you arent practicing proper oral hygiene. my daughter drinks soda and her dentist told her to floss and rinse out her mouth after drinking it to remove what sugar she could. her teeth are in good condition. she doesnt drink a lot though. mt dew mouth is a big issue here in WV and KY actually.but then when you are an adult and cant afford dental care(its not even covered on state insurance all thats covered are extractions) then for many its a lose lose situation..I mean people can do the best they can but when you cant see a dentist for some its like pointless in their eyes.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »

I'm 41. from 17-25 on the hard stuff... Diet dew ever since. No notable dental problems.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I drink diet if I want soda. I know it's not good for you but oh well. Sometimes I just want some caffiene and fizz. I don't drink it all that much maybe once or twice a week
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    For your health, absolutely. And I think that's more important than weight loss
  • katieiwoosley
    katieiwoosley Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    @CMNVA @GottaBurnEmAll Alayariel75 I have had the fact that it's different confirmed by several doctors actually. The caffeine in tea and coffee are naturally there, where as the caffeine in a pop is man made. I have some caffeine pills, I usually have to take two, drink 30oz of coffee and two Voltage. That is, on a bad day, usually when seasons are changing and there are a lot of storms. But when the weather isn't fluctuating around a lot, I can usually drink a voltage and take some tylenol and Ibuprofen, have a nap and then be fine.
  • katieiwoosley
    Options
    @alittlesandy @PrincessMom08 @Rob_in_MI @RodaRose @sijomial I can't stand Diet Mt. Dew at all. I haven't been able to drink it since I was little. When I was young, basically until I was twelve, anytime I got sick, even if it was just a simple cold, I would run a really high fever, 104-106. Well rather than take me to the ER every single time, where the doctors literally knew who I was when I walked in by the ripe age of 6, she phoned the doctors personal cell phone and told him what was going on. I always had to take a combination of like 5 different fever reducers, we'll I was really bad about refusing meds, and my mom would bribe me with about Dt. Mt. Dew. And it always worked. Well one time, I got a batch of it that had been recalled, I spent hours vomiting and crying in pain because of my stomach. In the end I was fine, it was basically food poisoning, however, just seeing someone drink the stuff sends me into a gagging fit and I have to leave until it's gone. @whitpauly I have been able to cut down to only one a day, sometimes just a few a week.
    @Sunna_W I'm actually pre-diabetic and I've been using them to bring my sugar back up after an exercise, then eating as small a serving I can get away with of something that will keep it up. I asked my father to get me some glucose tabs to take afterwards instead. I don't really want an extra meal, I'm just kinda forced to have one. Sometimes more than one because I workout in stages throughout the day because I also have activity induced asthma.

I think all in all though I'm just going to stick to one a day, it's honestly my only not-so-healthy addiction that I have. So just one a day, maybe just a few a week. The rest of the time I drink a sugar free, 5 calorie juice mix. I can drink an entire 30oz Rtic tumbler of it and only consume a total of fifteen calories from it. So I guess as long as I'm not trying to binge on it, it's really not that bad.

Thanks everyone that replied though, gave me several thing to think over.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    HRL1130 wrote: »
    ABSOLUTELY cut the pop out of your diet- regular or diet. if you like fizzy, try switching to flavored seltzer water (with no artificial sweetener) or regular seltzer with lemon/lime or a shot of any 100% fruit juice for a little flavor/ sweetness. Avoid drinks with artificial sweeteners. They are linked to migraines and you already have them. Besides the fact that artificial sweeteners are like poison, cause inflammation, and dramatically increase insulin response- making you more hungry and can cause weight GAIN! If you are concerned about caffeine withdrawal, a cup of coffee/tea or green tea with honey or stevia can help.
    Good luck and good health!

Holy fearmongering, batman!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Diet mountain dew is mad good
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Reduce your intake if you absolutely have to have it. For me it's not necessarily the calorie aspect of it but the sugar. You probably could easily fit a 140cal can into your daily calorie allowance, and if you can fit the sugar aspect of it too, go for it. Make it a daily treat, finding a compromise somewhere can make it easier to stick to than going cold turkey. Not a fan of the diet drinks so can't personally recommend, they always tasted awful.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I have to assume all the posters saying to just drink water either didn't actually read the OP or at the least have never had a migraine :neutral:

OP, if you can fit it in your calories, drink your Mt Dew. I suspect it is the combo of caffeine and sugar. How do you drink your coffee? Perhaps if you put some milk and a little sugar you can get the same effect with less cals.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    ...Besides the fact that artificial sweeteners are like poison, cause inflammation, and dramatically increase insulin response- making you more hungry and can cause weight GAIN!
    ^ Absolutely none of that is true. Not one bit of it. Post links to the research.

BPCycler wrote: »

Do you know what else is okay for you... aspartame and sucralose.

I guess Aspartame is safe as long as you don't have phenylketonuria. I avoid it myself. Would like to see further studies on it. I'm on the fence with Sucralose, but DO use it in moderation.
    If you really would like to see more research, here you go, for starters: 93 pages of research review of known studies on aspartame: http://seriecientifica.org/sites/default/files/scl_enc_butchko.pdf

It's one of the most studied substances in existence, not sure how many more studies there need to be to say the same thing all the other studies have already said.
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    @alittlesandy @PrincessMom08 @Rob_in_MI @RodaRose @sijomial I can't stand Diet Mt. Dew at all. I haven't been able to drink it since I was little. When I was young, basically until I was twelve, anytime I got sick, even if it was just a simple cold, I would run a really high fever, 104-106. Well rather than take me to the ER every single time, where the doctors literally knew who I was when I walked in by the ripe age of 6, she phoned the doctors personal cell phone and told him what was going on. I always had to take a combination of like 5 different fever reducers, we'll I was really bad about refusing meds, and my mom would bribe me with about Dt. Mt. Dew. And it always worked. Well one time, I got a batch of it that had been recalled, I spent hours vomiting and crying in pain because of my stomach. In the end I was fine, it was basically food poisoning, however, just seeing someone drink the stuff sends me into a gagging fit and I have to leave until it's gone

I can relate. I feel the same way about cheap tequila or sloe gin
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY cut the pop out of your diet- regular or diet. if you like fizzy, try switching to flavored seltzer water (with no artificial sweetener) or regular seltzer with lemon/lime or a shot of any 100% fruit juice for a little flavor/ sweetness. Avoid drinks with artificial sweeteners. They are linked to migraines and you already have them. Besides the fact that artificial sweeteners are like poison, cause inflammation, and dramatically increase insulin response- making you more hungry and can cause weight GAIN! If you are concerned about caffeine withdrawal, a cup of coffee/tea or green tea with honey or stevia can help.

Artificial sweeteners are NOT poison...
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 951 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I would say yes, but try just cutting back first. It can't hurt to try.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

for you that may be the case but, lets see I have RA(rheumatoid arthritis) and I consume a lot of diet products, they dont make me more hungry(I eat less when I consume them as it doesnt make me more hungry in fact Im less hungry) and I dont have excess inflammation. I also dont have migraines because of them.There are days I consume a lot of diet foods and I dont have those issues.
  • katieiwoosley
    Options
    @savithny My teeth are great actually. The only problem I've ever had are my two front bottom teeth. I started having problems with them as soon as they came in when I was like 12 and of course they're adult teeth so can't really do much other than sensitive tooth paste. I can't stand sensitive tooth paste, it tastes medicated to me. So my dentist told me not to worry about the tooth paste as long as I could find a way to eat and drink without touching it to those teeth. And I have. If I may though, a lot of people and dentists think that tooth problems stem from what we eat or drink. I'm sure it doesn't help, but a lot of studies show that genetics play a large role in how you're teeth handle the things you eat. My mom's and everyone on her side of the family have horrible teeth that constantly get cavities and accesses, although all their teeth Allred naturally straight. My father's family have very crooked teeth, but said teeth are very strong and healthy. I have always had very strong, healthy, straight teeth. All of my father's girls (mom has two older kids) have strong straight teeth. While all his sons have crooked fragile teeth. The only other problem I had was when I was young, I got an accessed molar. The dentist determined it was caused by a recent allergic reaction I had to something I ate, and it most likely had gotten a little tiny peice under the edge of my gum. It was like chips or something. He pulled it and I never had any other problems with my actual teeth. And the problem with my mouth was unrelated to consumption of anything, it was a development at birth.