Tips for beginners

Options
zebraprint24
zebraprint24 Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Back at it again. I would love some tips for healthy eating and exercise starting out .

Replies

• lifeisahighway
    lifeisahighway Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Find an exercise you really love! And be honest with logging your food!
  • Stevecutler0
    Stevecutler0 Posts: 20 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Do something you enjoy and is easy to do mine was swimming. It doesn't​ need to be hard just regular and enjoy it.
  • laurajayne322
    laurajayne322 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Find an exercise you really love! And be honest with logging your food!

Totally agree with the being honest, it really helps me stay on track and sometimes i realise that it's not as bad as it first seems once i've totted up the calories. Good luck. x
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    The stickies on the "getting started" page will be your best source of information.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/getting-started

Good luck!
  • kms234
    kms234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My #1 tip is make changes in steps. If you go full bore and drastically change your diet and jump into strenuous exercise right away, you're more likely to burn out.

Start with your diet. Make a few small changes and start weighing/measuring everything that goes in your mouth. Stick with that and some light exercise for a few weeks before delving deeper.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    • Don't demonise foods - there are no inherently bad or good foods. Eat how you want to eat for the rest of your life, not just for a week or a month.
    • Manage your expectations - you won't get fit or lose a ton of weight overnight, and that's a good thing.
    • Get a food scale if you don't have one - best tool for accurate logging of food.
    • Make subtle changes over time - you are more likely to stick to good habits.
    • Read the stickied posts - lots of useful information and knowledge is power, especially when their is so much *kitten* out there.

• ROSSPK9262
    ROSSPK9262 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to finally take my health/weight serious and have been doing okay so far but times get really tough and family support is not there. It would be nice to have support to keep me grounded.