How long should you stay in a calorie deficit?

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    alid8333 wrote: »
    You shouldn't be in a calorie deficit for more than 3-4 months at a time. Do a maintenance diet for a few weeks, then you can go back to a calorie deficit.

why shouldnt someone be in a deficit more than 3-4 months?,any info on this?

I've actually read a lot about how one should eat at a calorie deficit for 10 to 12 weeks and then eat at maintenance for 2 weeks then repeat until you reach your goal weight. Something about resetting your metabolism..

I was going to eat at maintenance for a week since I wasn't paying attention and under eating which is bad itself but when you have Crohns it's even worse. But decided to just add 200 calories to my allowance everyday and make sure to eat all of my calories regardless if I don't have a appetite.

I don't know what I'm going to do when I do finally have to go on maintenance. I can barely eat the 1330 I'm suppose to. I've never been a big eater and all my weight gain was from having to be completely sedentary due to a heart issue and a Crohns medication change that made me blow up.

you cant reset your metabolism though. it either works or it doesnt(if it doesnt you're already dead).. now for some if they eat in a deficit say for a period of time and end up with adaptive thermogenesis then sometimes eating more calories or taking a break helps with that.Im sorry you have crohns I know nothing about it really. I have taken breaks from eating in a deficit many times and I dont see where it made a difference in anything. I just came off a winter break in march/april. only real way to boost metabolism is through exercise or building muscle.

There are some advantages to taking an occasional break from a deficit: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/

Im not discounting taking a break at all. but it doesnt reset your metabolism. I have taken several breaks over the last few years.

It doesn't reset metabolism. It resets hormones that affect rate of loss. The article say it better than I can. Worth the read.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    You shouldn't be in a calorie deficit for more than 3-4 months at a time. Do a maintenance diet for a few weeks, then you can go back to a calorie deficit.

I've actually read a lot about how one should eat at a calorie deficit for 10 to 12 weeks and then eat at maintenance for 2 weeks then repeat until you reach your goal weight. Something about resetting your metabolism..

I was going to eat at maintenance for a week since I wasn't paying attention and under eating which is bad itself but when you have Crohns it's even worse. But decided to just add 200 calories to my allowance everyday and make sure to eat all of my calories regardless if I don't have a appetite.

I don't know what I'm going to do when I do finally have to go on maintenance. I can barely eat the 1330 I'm suppose to. I've never been a big eater and all my weight gain was from having to be completely sedentary due to a heart issue and a Crohns medication change that made me blow up.

you cant reset your metabolism though. it either works or it doesnt(if it doesnt you're already dead).. now for some if they eat in a deficit say for a period of time and end up with adaptive thermogenesis then sometimes eating more calories or taking a break helps with that.Im sorry you have crohns I know nothing about it really. I have taken breaks from eating in a deficit many times and I dont see where it made a difference in anything. I just came off a winter break in march/april. only real way to boost metabolism is through exercise or building muscle.

There are some advantages to taking an occasional break from a deficit: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/

Im not discounting taking a break at all. but it doesnt reset your metabolism. I have taken several breaks over the last few years.

It doesn't reset metabolism. It resets hormones that affect rate of loss. The article say it better than I can. Worth the read.
    I have read many of lyles articles including this one.(someone else said it resets your metabolism which is why I said many times it didnt,as for resetting hormones,not everyone takes a diet break and loses weight still.Im not saying it doesnt work. Im just saying that its not the case for everyone. taking breaks are supposed to help restore hormone levels and help you to lose once you go back into a deficit right? well thats not the case for everyone. but I have nothing against people taking diet breaks as I have done them in the past. just for me it didnt help me to start losing weight again. even when I was doing everything right. now Im just working out and eating and focusing more on health than losing. if I lose fine, if not at least I will be in better shape.
  • mmapags
    Options
    Gotcha. Yeah, no metabolism reset.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options

I have read many of lyles articles including this one.(someone else said it resets your metabolism which is why I said many times it didnt,as for resetting hormones,not everyone takes a diet break and loses weight still.Im not saying it doesnt work. Im just saying that its not the case for everyone. taking breaks are supposed to help restore hormone levels and help you to lose once you go back into a deficit right? well thats not the case for everyone. but I have nothing against people taking diet breaks as I have done them in the past. just for me it didnt help me to start losing weight again. even when I was doing everything right. now Im just working out and eating and focusing more on health than losing. if I lose fine, if not at least I will be in better shape.

What is going on here? Haha it resets hormones but doesn't reset your metabolism? The hormones are what control your metabolism....
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Maybe someone with an Apple Watch can answer why it doesn't give the OP calories for her 8,800 steps when she is set on Sedentary?

Short/simple answer - because MFP.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    rdridi12 wrote: »

What is going on here? Haha it resets hormones but doesn't reset your metabolism? The hormones are what control your metabolism....

Im not the one who said it resets metabolism.I know that you cannot reset metabolism.
  • alid8333
    alid8333 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    z74xi1lnypud.png

Again today no credit for my steps. Also another thing I noticed on my homepage it shows the amount of steps I walked that matches what my watch says, then on my diary it shows a different amount. Something is definitely off.
  • alid8333
    Options
    zeo0d2utzv14.png

See it shows a different number. I think I going to start a post to see if other Apple Watch users experience the same thing.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Several mentioned it depends on the size if your deficit. I might have missed it and sorry for the repeat if so, but I think it also depends on how lean you are to start with. E.g. Someone with appreciable fat stores can sustain a 250cal deficit more comfortably than someone pretty lean to start with.

Personally, I'm a real wimp. I lose at .5lb/wk, and even with that small deficit, I get really deficit weary after 10-12 weeks. It's probably more mental than hormonal. Last summer I had a bit too much fun and didn't get myself in check until I gained 7 lb. After about 10 weeks in a deficit, I remembered why it's a good idea for me to catch the gain at 5 lb or sooner.

OP, it sounds like there are other health issues you are having to manage as well. Lots of people take a full diet break when they need a little more energy & focus for some other thing going on in life (a move, new job, etc). A disease flare up is certainly something worthy of a little extra focus. Take a diet break if it will help you feel better! In the big picture, isn't that really what it's all about?
  • alid8333
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Several mentioned it depends on the size if your deficit. I might have missed it and sorry for the repeat if so, but I think it also depends on how lean you are to start with. E.g. Someone with appreciable fat stores can sustain a 250cal deficit more comfortably than someone pretty lean to start with.

Personally, I'm a real wimp. I lose at .5lb/wk, and even with that small deficit, I get really deficit weary after 10-12 weeks. It's probably more mental than hormonal. Last summer I had a bit too much fun and didn't get myself in check until I gained 7 lb. After about 10 weeks in a deficit, I remembered why it's a good idea for me to catch the gain at 5 lb or sooner.

OP, it sounds like there are other health issues you are having to manage as well. Lots of people take a full diet break when they need a little more energy & focus for some other thing going on in life (a move, new job, etc). A disease flare up is certainly something worthy of a little extra focus. Take a diet break if it will help you feel better! In the big picture, isn't that really what it's all about?

I haven't taken a diet break but I did change my loss a week to .5 since I only have 18 pounds left to reach my first goal. I've lost 38.2 pounds so far. My weight loss was consistently 1.5 to 2.2 pounds every week. Then I stalled for about 11 days. Then today I lost a pound. Going through my diary I was under eating at only netting around 1250 a day on average when I should of been at 1330 a day. I've also been eating majority of my exercise calories back depending how I feel. If I feel hungry or sluggish I eat 90% of them. I'm now consuming 1700 something total calories a day instead of 1400 total. Seems to be helping fatigue wise. Also seems to be helping with the little plateau I believe I was hitting. Either way I'm going to try this out for about a month and then readjust accordingly.

• youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I've read a fair amount of these four pages and admittedly skimmed some parts, so please forgive me if I'm missing something or someone suggested this and others have explained why it won't work ... but if it were me:

By now, I have enough data to figure out the missing numbers. If I average calories burned and average what I take in and look at my weight and how and when it's changing, I'd be able to figure out what is really going on -- the missing activity numbers will be determined -- and then I'd adjust intake accordingly.

I understand if you go day-by-day it's inaccurate and that that's not what you want to do, but if you look at a week's worth of numbers, or two weeks, then doesn't that help answer the question about how much you're really burning?

The issue with the tracker -- I have no idea why it's doing what it's doing. And, again, if I am completely missing something, I apologize in advance.

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I've read a fair amount of these four pages and admittedly skimmed some parts, so please forgive me if I'm missing something or someone suggested this and others have explained why it won't work ... but if it were me:

By now, I have enough data to figure out the missing numbers. If I average calories burned and average what I take in and look at my weight and how and when it's changing, I'd be able to figure out what is really going on -- the missing activity numbers will be determined -- and then I'd adjust intake accordingly.

I understand if you go day-by-day it's inaccurate and that that's not what you want to do, but if you look at a week's worth of numbers, or two weeks, then doesn't that help answer the question about how much you're really burning?

Yes, it does. That's how I first figured out that MFP's calorie recommendation was really really wrong for me. I looked at a month's data (so as to avoid the impact of TOM-related water retention), calculated my average calorie intake, calculated my deficit (if I lost 8 pounds in 4 weeks, I had a 1000 cal/day deficit), added my deficit to my average calorie intake and that gave me my average calorie burn.

I didn't believe the numbers at first, but repeating the same exercise with the next month's data gave the same answer. Assuming that calorie intake is logged accurately, this is by far the best approach to finding your real average calorie burn.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    It's mentally hard to give yourself a break knowing you still have weight to lose.

SOOO much this.

Yeah, seriously. There is nothing in this world that could convince me to take a week long break from my -1000 deficit. There's just no way I'd do it when my current diet and exercise regime finally works and makes me feel awesome mentally and physically.

Why are you trying to lose 2 lbs per week? that is a really high deficit. Do you have 50+lbs to lose?

Well I DID have about 40lbs to lose, but I'm down from 172.5 in March (starting weight) and now at 149. I aimed for 2lbs because I knew I'd be exercising at least 3 hours per day and that the deficit would be easy to maintain. Since I take weekends off the gym, I don't try to stay under 1200 and my weekly summaries shows that i maintain about -825 to -925 when it's all averaged out.

Since I feel great and am energetic, I see no reason to lower my deficit. I average about +1,000 to +1500 exercise calories, so I'm actually eating more than I ever have in my life. I used to really undereat because of my job and single parenting. I just didn't realize it until recently. My goal weight of 134lbs is actually about 15lbs heavier than my average adult weight. But I realize now I was underweight.

Prior to March, I was only eating one large meal per day, but had gained all of that weight in about 1 1/2 years because I was almost totally sedentary from 2 serious injuries after having had a very strenuous and active job and life prior to that. I was also always thin and muscular up until my injuries and resulting sedentary period.

So my appetite was never very large and I never had a real addiction/issue with food. I just didn't pay enough attention/understand that the forced sedentary life would mean I needed to really watch what I ate, drank, and did. So I tanked out.

Now that my injuries are good enough to be active and exercise again...just not eating too much has been easy. I see no reason to drag it out and I want to get back to maintenance because I want my old muscles back and can't wait to build a little mass again. I can't stand the feeling of being fat because I feel like I'm in someone else's body. It's awful and I'd like to feel like myself again as quickly as possible.

but the bigger the deficit is with so little weight left to lose, then you are risking lean mass and muscle.thats why you need to lower the amount of weight you are losing because your body doesnt have the stores it did before to fuel a higher loss. once you lose muscle/lean mass its very hard to get it back. also you have a weight range and not just a number. weight fluctuates.

Yes I know all of this and we've discussed it here before. That's why I do tons of strength training and a small amount of cardio, supplement with BCAAS, and gag down an occasional protein shake if necessary. Since I tend to be naturally a more athletic build, I don't think building mass will be that hard with how much strength training I'm doing in the meantime to maintain existing muscle, since previously my muscle was accidental having never worked out prior to March.

And I'm definitely not set on 134lbs. I may need it to be higher or lower and won't know until I get there. I don't care what I actually "weigh" as a goal. I never owned a scale until recently. Basically, once I can fit into my old Size 3/5 clothes and look lean/fit....thats my goal. Whether it's 120 or 140 doesn't matter much to me. Since I'm fitting Size 8 and 7 at 149lbs now...134 may prove unnecessary. I just cannot tolerate the feeling of "jiggle" on my body because I'm just not used to it.

And having much larger breasts was horrible, too. Because they felt alien, too. I recently had them suddenly drop a full cup to my normal "B" and I'm thrilled. I feel like my body will be mine again soon. If I start losing muscle, I'll adjust my deficit. But I haven't seen signs so far.

you dont always see signs of muscle loss, the only true way to know is by getting a dexa scan or something like that that can gauge how much fat,lean mass,muscle,skeletal tissue you have and get a before and after. you wont know if you are losing muscle. if you are jiggly now its possible that could be the reason(aka skinny fat). as for gaining muscle it is harder for women to gain (no matter what you are doing now). even in a surplus its hard to gain mass/muscle. oh and most women even if they are competition lean have parts that jiggle or bulge its normal to a degree.

You are correct. This is a risky strategy that seems to be born of impatience. One still loses muscle mass in a deficit even with lots of weight training. Based on the post I see here though, it seems this person may need to learn this the hard way. But a 2 lb per week deficit with about 15 lbs to go is not a wise approach.

Of course I'm impatient. I'm miserable in a Body that has never and never will be mine. And I've made it clear thaat I understand that larger deficit means risking more muscle. So I'm not sure why you're speaking as if you cannot comprehend my responses.

One thing I do know is my body. And it's naturally "buff" without any intentional execise. Because I've never lifted a weight, done a squat, or even jogged until March. Ok...I've still never jogged, actually. I understand I will lose some muscle.

However, I can visibly see asnd feel the larger and stronger muscles I've formed despite being in deficit. My Capri pants no longer fit over my calf muscles without help and my lats are visibly larger now. And my strength is solid since I started at maybe 50lbs on abductor machines and such. Now I'm at 130lbs easily (for example).

Considering I'm at 149lbs and only 10 to 15 pounds from my goal weight range. I doubt all of the muscle is going to magically melt off now.

There will be compromises I'll have to decide on once I'm very slim as far as losing muscle or gaining muscle...but I'm happy with the strength I've gained losing the first 22lbs and I doubt that will change losing the last 10. Everyone's body IS different...so it's ridiculous for you to speak to me the way you did as if you know my body better than I do. I put in a lot of hard work based on both science and my body and there's nothing helpful nor informative in your post. I look and feel fantastic now and I'm sorry that you're hoping that will change 10 lbs from now.

Despite your nasty attitude I will enjoy and see results from my Monday regime starting with

9:15am - Pilates (1 hour)
    10:30am - Weight Room (1 1/2 hours)
    12:00pm - Les Mills BodyPump (1 hour)
    1:15pm - Les Mills BodyFlow (1 hour)
    2:30pm - Dry Sauna (30 minutes)
    3:00pm - Swim Laps (30 minutes)

Tuesday is even better! As you can see...I spend 5 hours on strength training and thats plenty to maintain existing muscle as well as gain a bit. And I have to eat way more than I want or need because I have so many exercise calories. There won't be a "hard way" or lesson because I'm doing it right, feel great, and getting results. If I lose a little muscle...so what? I'll get it back in as matter of weeks because I'm highly disciplined and always will be. I'm sorry that bothers you for some bizarre reason...but if you get your jollies hoping for someone to fail....thats your issue. Not mine.

You spend 6 hours in the gym every day?

Yes, roughly. Obviously there's time in between some classes and I take breaks to slam water, use the sauna, etc. It's typically a "9 to 5" for me Monday through Friday when including swimming and the shower and everything. I get up at 7am, arrive at 9am, take 2 to 3 classes (2 to 3 hours) and then either lift additional weights (2x weekly) or swim some laps (2x weekly).

I do a hard week because I don't work out at all on Saturday or Sunday, nor do I want to. Those are my lazy, fun days with my family.
  • alid8333
    Options
    It's mentally hard to give yourself a break knowing you still have weight to lose.

SOOO much this.

Yeah, seriously. There is nothing in this world that could convince me to take a week long break from my -1000 deficit. There's just no way I'd do it when my current diet and exercise regime finally works and makes me feel awesome mentally and physically.

Why are you trying to lose 2 lbs per week? that is a really high deficit. Do you have 50+lbs to lose?

Well I DID have about 40lbs to lose, but I'm down from 172.5 in March (starting weight) and now at 149. I aimed for 2lbs because I knew I'd be exercising at least 3 hours per day and that the deficit would be easy to maintain. Since I take weekends off the gym, I don't try to stay under 1200 and my weekly summaries shows that i maintain about -825 to -925 when it's all averaged out.

Since I feel great and am energetic, I see no reason to lower my deficit. I average about +1,000 to +1500 exercise calories, so I'm actually eating more than I ever have in my life. I used to really undereat because of my job and single parenting. I just didn't realize it until recently. My goal weight of 134lbs is actually about 15lbs heavier than my average adult weight. But I realize now I was underweight.

Prior to March, I was only eating one large meal per day, but had gained all of that weight in about 1 1/2 years because I was almost totally sedentary from 2 serious injuries after having had a very strenuous and active job and life prior to that. I was also always thin and muscular up until my injuries and resulting sedentary period.

So my appetite was never very large and I never had a real addiction/issue with food. I just didn't pay enough attention/understand that the forced sedentary life would mean I needed to really watch what I ate, drank, and did. So I tanked out.

Now that my injuries are good enough to be active and exercise again...just not eating too much has been easy. I see no reason to drag it out and I want to get back to maintenance because I want my old muscles back and can't wait to build a little mass again. I can't stand the feeling of being fat because I feel like I'm in someone else's body. It's awful and I'd like to feel like myself again as quickly as possible.

but the bigger the deficit is with so little weight left to lose, then you are risking lean mass and muscle.thats why you need to lower the amount of weight you are losing because your body doesnt have the stores it did before to fuel a higher loss. once you lose muscle/lean mass its very hard to get it back. also you have a weight range and not just a number. weight fluctuates.

Yes I know all of this and we've discussed it here before. That's why I do tons of strength training and a small amount of cardio, supplement with BCAAS, and gag down an occasional protein shake if necessary. Since I tend to be naturally a more athletic build, I don't think building mass will be that hard with how much strength training I'm doing in the meantime to maintain existing muscle, since previously my muscle was accidental having never worked out prior to March.

And I'm definitely not set on 134lbs. I may need it to be higher or lower and won't know until I get there. I don't care what I actually "weigh" as a goal. I never owned a scale until recently. Basically, once I can fit into my old Size 3/5 clothes and look lean/fit....thats my goal. Whether it's 120 or 140 doesn't matter much to me. Since I'm fitting Size 8 and 7 at 149lbs now...134 may prove unnecessary. I just cannot tolerate the feeling of "jiggle" on my body because I'm just not used to it.

And having much larger breasts was horrible, too. Because they felt alien, too. I recently had them suddenly drop a full cup to my normal "B" and I'm thrilled. I feel like my body will be mine again soon. If I start losing muscle, I'll adjust my deficit. But I haven't seen signs so far.

you dont always see signs of muscle loss, the only true way to know is by getting a dexa scan or something like that that can gauge how much fat,lean mass,muscle,skeletal tissue you have and get a before and after. you wont know if you are losing muscle. if you are jiggly now its possible that could be the reason(aka skinny fat). as for gaining muscle it is harder for women to gain (no matter what you are doing now). even in a surplus its hard to gain mass/muscle. oh and most women even if they are competition lean have parts that jiggle or bulge its normal to a degree.

You are correct. This is a risky strategy that seems to be born of impatience. One still loses muscle mass in a deficit even with lots of weight training. Based on the post I see here though, it seems this person may need to learn this the hard way. But a 2 lb per week deficit with about 15 lbs to go is not a wise approach.

Of course I'm impatient. I'm miserable in a Body that has never and never will be mine. And I've made it clear thaat I understand that larger deficit means risking more muscle. So I'm not sure why you're speaking as if you cannot comprehend my responses.

One thing I do know is my body. And it's naturally "buff" without any intentional execise. Because I've never lifted a weight, done a squat, or even jogged until March. Ok...I've still never jogged, actually. I understand I will lose some muscle.

However, I can visibly see asnd feel the larger and stronger muscles I've formed despite being in deficit. My Capri pants no longer fit over my calf muscles without help and my lats are visibly larger now. And my strength is solid since I started at maybe 50lbs on abductor machines and such. Now I'm at 130lbs easily (for example).

Considering I'm at 149lbs and only 10 to 15 pounds from my goal weight range. I doubt all of the muscle is going to magically melt off now.

There will be compromises I'll have to decide on once I'm very slim as far as losing muscle or gaining muscle...but I'm happy with the strength I've gained losing the first 22lbs and I doubt that will change losing the last 10. Everyone's body IS different...so it's ridiculous for you to speak to me the way you did as if you know my body better than I do. I put in a lot of hard work based on both science and my body and there's nothing helpful nor informative in your post. I look and feel fantastic now and I'm sorry that you're hoping that will change 10 lbs from now.

Despite your nasty attitude I will enjoy and see results from my Monday regime starting with

Tuesday is even better! As you can see...I spend 5 hours on strength training and thats plenty to maintain existing muscle as well as gain a bit. And I have to eat way more than I want or need because I have so many exercise calories. There won't be a "hard way" or lesson because I'm doing it right, feel great, and getting results. If I lose a little muscle...so what? I'll get it back in as matter of weeks because I'm highly disciplined and always will be. I'm sorry that bothers you for some bizarre reason...but if you get your jollies hoping for someone to fail....thats your issue. Not mine.

Yes, roughly. Obviously there's time in between some classes and I take breaks to slam water, use the sauna, etc. It's typically a "9 to 5" for me Monday through Friday when including swimming and the shower and everything. I get up at 7am, arrive at 9am, take 2 to 3 classes (2 to 3 hours) and then either lift additional weights (2x weekly) or swim some laps (2x weekly).

I do a hard week because I don't work out at all on Saturday or Sunday, nor do I want to. Those are my lazy, fun days with my family.

My heart wouldn't be able to handle all that. It gives me issues doing 40 min sometimes lol.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    Options

SOOO much this.

My heart wouldn't be able to handle all that. It gives me issues doing 40 min sometimes lol.

Mine either. I have terrible cardio response at high rates. Like VO2 rates or HIIT, so I take a lot more strength (pump, Pilates, weights, PiYo, and "mixed" classes) that give me time to regroup and breathe, but still condition the heart (slower over time). I take 2 hours of the hellish "HIIT" on Fridays and then do nothing else because cardio males me cranky and exhausted. I can't jog or run, either. I can sprint and do brief inervals....but I hate, hate, hate it. So I feel you on that. I accidentally took a "Step" class and it was the most heinous abomination of exercise madness.

I wish I was genetically able to train to get amazing at cardio, but even if I dedicated my life to it, I don't think I'd ever be better than average. I'm thrilled if my resting pulse goes as low as 81 on an excellent day. :s:s
  • WendyLeigh1119
    edited June 2017
    Options

SOOO much this.

You have less than 20 lbs to lose and are spending hours in the gym to achieve a high calorie deficit so you can lose weight rapidly.

This just seems like a recipe for burnout, injury, muscle loss, disordered thinking, or all of the above.

What is your plan for maintenance?

That's quite the leap considering you obviously didn't read back. Or ask any questions before assuming I have unhealthy eating habits or "disordered thinking. Perhaps read back because it's a long story.

I've always been thin and fit. I've always eaten healthy, but didn't have to exercise or watch intake. Then I got seriously injured and could only lay and occasionally shuffle around for aboytg two years and packed on some weight. Now I am trying to get strong again and regain my normal body. That's it. If I was looking to create a larger deficit, I'd do cardio. But my spine and shoulder needs strength...not cardio. And to maintain my weight and muscle, I plan to eat organic and stay active like I've done for 13 years and try to NOT get injured again.

But yes. Obviously everyone is an unhealthy eater who is on the verge of an eating disorder for maintaining a -800 calorie deficit for 3 months. Thanks for the presumptuous input. That seems like a "thing" around here. Not everyone is a yo-yo dieting, pill popper or food addict.

• mmapags
    Options
    Wow, you are pretty defensive and attacking every time someone questions your approach. Maybe chill and consider their perspective? Is it possible you may be able to learn something and may not have it all figured out. Just a thought....
  • WendyLeigh1119
    Options
    Wow, you are pretty defensive and attacking every time someone questions your approach. Maybe chill and consider their perspective? Is it possible you may be able to learn something and may not have it all figured out. Just a thought....

I think people don't bother reading back into the thread to find out details about people before bloviating about what they may or may not be doing before dishing out presumptuous or outright silly warnings and accusations.

I'm going to develop "disordered thinking" if I work out 5 days per week and follow a healthy, organic diet to get back to my normal weight?? I mean...really? Yes, that deserves an appropriately dismissive response.

I don't need the advice of people who offer it before knowing a bit of backstory. It's not like I've started a thread asking for advice (ever). I'm already being polite in explaining myself to strangers in that I didnt ask their advice. Thats what my Physical Therapists and Docs are for.

And frankly...I don't offer anything other than passing advice to others because I don't know their personal situation. But there seems to be quite a few who thrive on doom and gloom prophecies here. And I'm in the minority of people who actually DO know how to manage my weight and health successfully.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

SOOO much this.

You have less than 20 lbs to lose and are spending hours in the gym to achieve a high calorie deficit so you can lose weight rapidly.

This just seems like a recipe for burnout, injury, muscle loss, disordered thinking, or all of the above.

What is your plan for maintenance?

That's quite the leap considering you obviously didn't read back. Or ask any questions before assuming I have unhealthy eating habits or "disordered thinking. Perhaps read back because it's a long story.

I've always been thin and fit. I've always eaten healthy, but didn't have to exercise or watch intake. Then I got seriously injured and could only lay and occasionally shuffle around for aboytg two years and packed on some weight. Now I am trying to get strong again and regain my normal body. That's it. If I was looking to create a larger deficit, I'd do cardio. But my spine and shoulder needs strength...not cardio. And to maintain my weight and muscle, I plan to eat organic and stay active like I've done for 13 years and try to NOT get injured again.

But yes. Obviously everyone is an unhealthy eater who is on the verge of an eating disorder for maintaining a -800 calorie deficit for 3 months. Thanks for the presumptuous input. That seems like a "thing" around here. Not everyone is a yo-yo dieting, pill popper or food addict.

What makes you think I didn't read back?

Creating an overly aggressive deficit, whether through dietary restriction or through extreme exercise can still be an unhealthy and certainly an unnecessary approach to weight loss.

There are lots of ways to exhibit disordered thinking about ones body.... exercise bullimia is one such example. The comments that you make about your physical appearance and desire to get to your goal as fast as possible and nothing would dissuade you to abandon your large deficit and rapid weight loss is yet another sign.

The fact that you are recovering from prolonged injury makes this extreme approach even riskier.

You mentioned being a single parent. What kind of mind set and focus on body image do you think your children might be perceiving from your methods?

You want to be healthy and strong and that's an admirable goal. Unfortunately though, sometimes the end doesn't justify the means.