Is it worth going MFP Premium?

Options

Replies

• scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I accidentally bought a premium subscription as I thought that it would be a single sub for My Fitness Pal, MapMyWalk etc. I guess I got confused and thought they were the same company. Anyway the benefits were no use at all and the price is astonishing for what you get! I would rather pay a donation as a nod to the free version being useful than pay the sub. Needless to say I cancelled it.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Do people really loose weight 6x faster by going Premium and paying $50? Just curious.

Maybe lose their money 6x faster.

If you are considering premium, look at the extra features it offers and consider if those will be better for your needs. I can't see how it would have the claimed weight loss increase effect though. So don't base your decision strictly on that.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    It's also often buggy AF, at the moment I'm getting a huge lag when I try to touch on anything. So there's no chance in hell I'm going to "support the developers" when they keep breaking shiz.

And if you're going to give up I'm not sure less than $5 a month is going to discourage that.
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    If you go over calories, they send Igor to pay you a special visit:

db6fq4lyptz6.jpg

Surviving users report about 6x faster weight loss.

LOL

The free version works just fine. Just like any program designed to help loose weight, you have to be motivated to make it work for you and no amount of additional gizmos on MFP is going to make you lose weight if you're not ready.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

db6fq4lyptz6.jpg

:laugh:

Best 5k race time, evah!
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    I have premium because it allows me to set individual calorie and macro targets for each day, other than that I would go with the free version.

Same here, and I do like that it is ad-free also
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I have premium, my husband has free. Ilike having fewer ads and supporting developers, he doesn't mind ads and figures I pay enough for both of us lol.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Do people really loose weight 6x faster by going Premium and paying $50? Just curious.

I googled this every way I could think of and can't find anything like that claim. I do find a ton of woo sites guaranteeing all kinds of weight loss magic - maybe you saw it there and confused it with MFP? For me going premium wouldn't be worth it, I wouldn't use any of the advanced tools. For me the daily logging and available reports are just fine.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'd gladly pay if the database wasn't a total mess and there was actually some good customer support.

Ditto. I won't consider paying for premium until the database is cleaned up, both of the glut of duplicate, erroneous user-created entries and the glitchy system entries.

I have been exceeding dissatisfied with my results when I write to Support to notify them about glitches in the system entries in the database and have stopped bothering to do this. I'm referring to issues like decimal errors making 1 g entries give results for 100 grams and giving liquid measurements like milliliters for solid foods. I've written multiple times about the same issues, complete with screenshots, to no avail. It's easy for me to spot the errors and do workarounds, but I would like to help others. Unfortunately, when I get a Support staff who actually does understand the issue, they often can't get a fix made. I'm tired of wasting my time on this.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    I believe the 6x number. It seems to me that those who lack commitment and are going to give up in a few days would be free members those who go premium are likely to be dedicated. Thus dedicated lose 6x weight sounds right.

just like people who pay for a gym membership keep going because....oh wait, never mind...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »
    I am in the IT field and I look at it differently. I went premium not to lose faster. I did it for convenience of no adds and to thank the developers for their work. I know UA really does not need the money and is using this as a huge add at times but the numbers matter for further support and upgrades to the product. At least they do in my office. Products that under preform are normally given less attention. In general if I use software daily and it is essential bug free it deserves a few dollars a month.

if the developers ever clean up the food database, I may consider it...
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I would gladly pay for premium if eating the same calories as someone with my stats afforded me 6 times the deficit or more food.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I haven't seen any features offered by premium that looked beneficial to me.
    I could see paying for it just to support the app/website.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Do they really claim that premium users lose weight 6x faster? Hahahahah. That's kind of disappointing that mfp would ever say something like that.

Maybe they've done some analysis and that number is actually true, but it's only because there are so many inactive mfp free users. They shouldn't make a claim like that and try to make people think paying for premium is going to magically make them lose more weight. That claim alone would make me never want to get premium.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I would gladly pay for premium if eating the same calories as someone with my stats afforded me 6 times the deficit or more food.

maybe it is a glitch in premium and they multiply your deficit times six, so you lose six times faster by eating...nothing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Do they really claim that premium users lose weight 6x faster? Hahahahah. That's kind of disappointing that mfp would ever say something like that.

Maybe they've done some analysis and that number is actually true, but it's only because there are so many inactive mfp free users. They shouldn't make a claim like that and try to make people think paying for premium is going to magically make them lose more weight. That claim alone would make me never want to get premium.

Good point. If they did do a study, they are probably including inactive free users, or otherwise playing with the numbers to get the results they want.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

db6fq4lyptz6.jpg

Fastest cleanse ever...
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I lost 35 lbs under the old (totally free, pre-UA) system. Have been on maintenance since then (UA took over sometime around then, but I stayed with the free program). I have no need for the premium. All I need is a place to log food and count calories. I can ignore the ads. If the free program goes away, so will I. An Excel spreadsheet will work just fine, and it doesn't cost $50.
    And the faster weight loss statement is bogus.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    The marketing department are just taking advantage of a spurious correlation.

They look at everyone who has ever registered in MFP and take the average weight lost (even the ones who logged one once) and compare that to the premium members.

It's not surprising they have lost more but is it BECAUSE they went premium or just because they are self selecting themselves as more dedicated loggers?